University of California "UC Apply" - senior year (12th grade) grades

S24 is working through UC Apply. S24’s high school has early reporting period so 1st marking period report card was issued right before the Thanksgiving break.

A friend of mine called the UC Apply helpline to ask whether to include these senior grades. The person on the helpline said yes even though they do not get calculated in the GPA.

@Gumbymom @lkg4answers Is this correct?

This goes counter to what I’ve heard from our HS counseling department who said to put IP “In Progress” because the application submission period was as early as Oct 1 (before the report card was issued).

Separately, there doesn’t seem to be a UC Apply summary equivalent to the Cal State Apply that totals the # years of A-G courses and provides the GPA. All I can see is the A-G summary flagging any missed coursework below minimum requirements.

Thank you in advance!

Is the “1st marking period” a standalone term that will have its own grades appearing on the HS transcript? Or are these in-progress grades that will be replaced by final semester grades on the transcript?

1st marking period = standalone grades that are on the final transcript. Thank you!

I am not an expert… but in that case it sounds like you could report the grades if you think it would be beneficial to the application… or you could also follow the HS counseling department’s guidance and report them as in-progress.

Generally we found that our HS counseling department had good guidance about exactly how to report things on these apps. If you are in state, your counseling department has a lot of experience with the UC and Cal State system.

If the early reported grades will be on the final transcript, I see no reason not to list them if you want. Since the majority of applicants will not have any Senior grades to list on the application by the deadline, it is more of general advice to report In-progress and Planned for Senior grades.

UC’s do not have a A-G summary like the CSU apply but the UC’s will review all applications regardless of meeting the minimum requirements or not.

CSU’s will deny applicants that have not met the minimum A-G requirements and do not offer admission by exception.

1 Like

I agree with what has been said above. If the grades are good, you can include them. They won’t be used for the UC GPA, but the classes will be looked at when evaluating level of rigor. Listing them as IP should not penalize you.

@lkg4answers @Gumbymom @tamagotchi Thank you all for your helpful responses!

I will check with high school counselor next week as school is out for this Thanksgiving week.

I just realized that this year is the 1st time since my kid has been at the high school where the report card was issued before Thanksgiving Break.

For the prior 3 years, the report cards for the 1st marking period were issued well after the 11/30 UC and CSU deadline in Dec.

1 Like