University of Maryland College Park (UMD) Early Action for Fall 2023

While waiting, the following links can provide answers to questions that you may have.

Freshman Admission Decision FAQS:

Freshman Merit Scholarships:

NOTE - UMD does NOT give out a lot of Scholarships and it is NOT true that all the Students in the Honors College get Scholarships.

UMD Honors College:

UMD Scholars Program:

UMD Freshman Connection:

UMD Living/Learning Programs:

UMD CS Department FAQS - these links are for the students who apply for CS, but get put into Letters & Sciences:

https://undergrad.cs.umd.edu/faq

12 Likes

CS major and Virginia resident. Fingers crossed. I would love UMD to think “lets snag one from UVA” !! :wink:

3 Likes

@FXdad20232025 CS major and International student here!

3 Likes

Hi - I want to expand on the group in the link above. We have experienced parents from all walks of UMD paths who can help answer your questions and give tips as you and your child are determining the best school for them. Once you commit, we have another group which has pictures of all the dorms and various resources to help you navigate the experience and avoid certain pitfalls. We wish you lots of good fortune as the decision date comes closer!

11 Likes

Does UMD give advance notice of exact time and date of decision release?

2 Likes

No. They will announce on social media (and via email) after results have been posted on the portal.

Example from last year:

5 Likes

Decisions will be coming out in less than 11 days and there will be some parents and students who are unhappy with their results.

I think it’s important to keep the total numbers in mind.

Last year, UMD had over 56,000 applications (EA and RD) They admitted over 19,000 students for a Freshman Class of 4742.

That’s an Overall Acceptance Rate of 34.3% and an Overall Yield Rate of 24.6%.

It is probable that 3,500+ were admitted to the Honors College and 3,000+ were admitted to the Scholars Program. It is also possible that over 1,200 were directly admitted to CS.

All those numbers are much higher that the number of posters on this forum.

Also keep in mind that Scholarships are offered to Admitted Students, so they are spread among the thousands of Students.

The 400 B/K scholarships are spread among the 3,500+ who were admitted to the Honors College.

Also, all public Universities in Maryland are governed by a Board of Regents, and that includes the following admission policy:

VI. ADMISSION OF OUT-OF-STATE STUDENTS TO UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMS

Each institution may establish for out-of-state students standards that are higher than the undergraduate admission standards for in-state students. If a choice must be made between applicants of roughly comparable ability and promise, preference will be given to the Maryland resident.

Excluding UMUC students and all students enrolled exclusively in distance education programs, the number of out-of-state undergraduate students in any institution shall not exceed 30 percent of its total undergraduate student body.

12 Likes

I just wanted to say thank you to you and other experienced UMD parents for providing this information and keeping us newbies as calm as possible. Thank you and I know I would like to return the favor to future generations some day.

4 Likes

Hello fellow 1990er!!! Those were the best years of my life! If it had been awful, I would not even have let my daughter apply to Maryland :slight_smile: I lived in LaPlata Hall for the first two years when it was still an all girls dorm. I thought an all girls dorm would be absolutely horrible, but I was only 16 and my mom would not budge for a coed dorm. Turns out, it was the only freshman dorm with ac, and it was directly in front of the only campus convenience store (which stayed open until 3am during midterms and finals!!!). Funny how things work out for the best sometimes. Good luck and best wishes to your kiddo!!!

4 Likes

I guess this information would sound great if my kiddo wanted to attend our current state school, University of Georgia, or even our home state school-Rutgers. LOL she is not interested in either. She will be the fourth generation of OOS college student in our immediate family, so it is scary and ironic that it actually lowers her chances, when it is obviously a preferred choice to leave the state for whatever reason that so many students choose. OOS certainly does not work for everyone, but it was always our only option.

Thank you for the information! Crossing my fingers a little tighter now:)

1 Like

Does anyone know if UMD gives the financial aid package with the decision or does it come later?

It comes later, maybe mid-February or a bit later

Bummer!

1 Like

Is UMD decision date confirmed Feb 1?

1 Like

No, they say “by Feb 1”. I expect them to announce decisions next Friday, Jan 27th.

4 Likes

Ugh, why did I think it was today?!?

I hope it will be! I also heard there were some portal problems last year

Dates for spring Terrapin Tours and Maryland Information Sessions & Tours have been announced.

https://admissions.umd.edu/visit/calendar

3 Likes

Big week coming up. Does anyone know what time of day notifications are sent? Is it afternoon or evening?

Last year, it was a little before 6PM, as I recall.

2 Likes