University of Maryland College Park (UMD) Early Action for Fall 2023

Good point! I don’t know then!

OOS. Daughter was accepted 1/27 (a Friday), notified by email to check portal at 5:00 P.M. EST (NY) to Computer Science major with an invitation to Honors College. FAQ says merit awards go out by March 1.

Basic Stats: white female, average public high school, Top 10% (school does not rank), good tech and music ECs, summer research, good writer, 1590 SAT, NMSF, lots of APs (all 5s)

4 Likes

If you’re sure everything was submitted before 11/1 (including things like college transcripts from any dual enrollment) and TAP shows the application is complete, reach out to the admissions office asap. They occasionally make mistakes and will reconsider your application.

However, if anything was received after 11/1 you’ll automatically be pushed to RD without notification.

3 Likes

Daughter rejected - In-state, 4.33w, TO, good essays, recs (including principal), competitive high school, 4 or 5 APs (can’t remember), leadership, varsity tennis 4 yrs, applied early childhood education major (supported by job and several ECs). Accepted at most other B10 schools (all where she applied) and a few others. Most patronizing as an alum is “… We understand this decision is disappointing to you and your family. While it is difficult for us not to admit students whose parents are loyal alumni…” Whatevs (yes, I am bitter)

3 Likes

I’ll try to answer your question. Spring Admission at UMD dates back to, at least, 1994. Most people don’t realize that UMD actually has a December Graduation, where maybe 1,000+ students, or more, complete their degrees and leave the Campus.

So, UMD started Spring Admission to fill in the Dorm and Classroom space vacated by the December Graduates.

In 2006, UMD added Freshman Commendation to the Spring Admissions Program, allowing the Spring Admit students to start taking classes on Campus, during off-peak hours (late afternoon and evening). However, they were not allowed to live in Dorms. They had to commute and/or find off-campus housing

In the Fall of 2014, UMD added Dorm residency and meal plans to the Freshman Connection Program, giving those students a more full freshman year experience.

One advantage to UMD, of this program, is that they do not have to include the Spring Admit/FC student stats as part of their Official Freshman Profile.

I hope this helps

5 Likes

Yea everything is submitted for me. I guess have to wait till Monday to find out

1 Like

That’s my question as well. If it’s not a housing issue and they can live on campus, why?

1 Like

As I posted above, it’s a program that was started to maximize campus resources.

It has evolved over time, and will probably continue to evolve, but changes take time to implement.

Paranoid yet happy Florida dad. Kiddo accepted for Spring/Freshman Connections (kid is happy to not have morning classes first semester).

4.7W/3.6UW, TO, top 25% of 800+ class, 4 APs, good ECs (music, animal volunteering, started her own website). A&S admission for her requested major.

6 Likes

Has everyone received an email or are the waves ongoing? My d isn’t home yet and am curious

Great history. They actually have gotten rid of December graduation. All graduates for the academic year are invited to May graduation now.

1 Like

There aren’t any waves. All decisions are on the portal.

But they still free up dorm and classroom space though.

3 Likes

Yes, I saw that and I think it’s sad, because they actually have completed their college education in December

1 Like

Yep! They leave.

When are school of music admission decisions released? My DC applied as a second major.

3 Likes

Freshman Connection is only different on paper and the students take classes later in the day. They live in dorms as well. Nobody would ever know a student was in Freshman Connection.

2 Likes

Agreed.

That is very True. Nobody cares that someone is in Freshman Connection.

1 Like

I didn’t get a scholarship in my decision. Does that mean I didn’t get one?

1 Like