University of Maryland College Park (UMD) Early Action for Fall 2023

All of them received by 10/10/2022… none pending as per checklist

2 Likes

When I look through college board, my scores are shown as sent before the deadline. When I look through the UMD portal it does not say a status or completion date for SAT scores. what do I do?!

This happened to some people during the last two cycles as well. Definitely contact admissions. If everything was in on time, I believe they guaranteed EA consideration and issued decisions within 7-10 business days.

1 Like

Unfortunately, they may not have been received by Nov 1. In those cases, UMD moves the applicant into RD. Definitely contact admissions to inquire.

1 Like

Regarding admitted student days, do you or anyone in this site recall when they were offered in previous years and how many were offered? I don’t see it anywhere on the UMD website. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

In 2014, we went to one of the early ones - February 28. They had a number of them scheduled, but I don’t remember how many, but they run through the end of March, I think… maybe even into April.

I think that they are usually on Fridays… not sure though

Attendance required per-registration, since the space available exceeds the total number of admitted students. They may offer some Virtual visits, but I highly recommend an in-person one.

UMD will probably announce dates within the next 2 weeks and I would expect them to send out emails as well

Thanks so much SoofDad. Wondering if the Admitted Days differ by school. My daughter got into Letters and Sciences but seeks to switch to Computer Science for sophomore year.

I believe they are for all students, and not limited to any particular Major or school.

1 Like

My son received his UMD Early action decision on friday. He got admitted into the Computer Science program and placed into the Scholars program. We were wondering why he was not considered for Honors college. Since he didnt not get placed into the honors college, is he missing out on merit scholarship opportunities like presidential scholarship?
Is it possible send re-evaluate request and see whether he is qualified for honors college?

The following are some components of his application:

• We are Instate.
  • He has 4.0 UW GPA, 4.89 Weighted GPA , Top 1% of his high school class with a SAT score of 1550.
  • He took 11 AP courses and earned AP scholar with distinction.
  • He is a National Merit Commendable scholar.
  • He is actively involved in the community, participated and earned recognition in various extracurriculars for his school, such as FBLA, Varsity Tennis, and Economics Challenge.
  • He is also interning at an US Army installation in STEM Field.

We are happy with the UMD admission result. We were wondering why he was not considered for Honors college.

1 Like

Honors admissions are a lot more holistic than admissions into the major. They like to create a balanced, well rounded honors cohort from across different majors.

No he can still get a merit scholarship. The only one he’s not eligible for is the B/K (which are very limited and very competitive).

Thank you. Just wondering if we can send re-evaluation request to consider him for honors college? Is it possible?

Most of the students in the Honors College do not get Scholarships.

1 Like

Hi I had a question. Is it possible to switch from Computer engineering to computer science?.
Thanks!

I’m not sure if the honors decision can be appealed. @SoofDad? @Hippobirdy?

I think some honors programs allow students to apply after freshman year. Perhaps write to honorsadmissions@umd.edu to ask both questions.

Yes, you can apply as an internal transfer but need to meet their requirements. See:
https://undergrad.cs.umd.edu/internal-transfer-students

Thank you so much for responding.

2 Likes

The following link addresses the issue of appealing an Honors College or applying to the HC at a later point

Be aware that CompEng is in the Clark School of Engineering and CompSci is in the College of Computer, Mathematical, and Natural Sciences. That said, a transfer should be possible after satisfying the CS Gateway Requirements

2 Likes

Thank you for the info–and glad you think so highly of Smith. I didn’t realize Smith was so competitive. Any idea if they are pretty liberal in accepting AP credits? My D took calculus BC last year (5 in AP test) and hopes she never has to repeat:)

1 Like

Is there any official stats somewhere which says how many Letters and Science kids got into their desired Major and how many were not able to satisfy requirement. Just want to make sure there no cavea. My kid already got Comfimed comp science in rutgers but his first choice is UMD specifically the newly started Quantum Computing. So before accepting L & S , want to make sure there is no last minute surprise.

2 Likes