University of Maryland College Park (UMD) Early Action for Fall 2023

My son and I took an Amtrak from NY last weekend for an admitted student day. There are a few hotels right off campus with decent restaurants right there. We ate at Sweetgreen, a bagel place and Vigilante coffee, all good. There’s a small shopping area with other food places there as well.
The first sessions place you in your prospective school and after you can choose between seeing a dorm, a tour, the gym, LLCs. If my son attends he’ll live in an LLC on the northern part of campus so we had a session there followed by a session in the business school. He knows it will take him 15 minutes to walk.
He liked the campus, the heritage dining hall was excellent and he’ll be living near it, the sports center and athletic venues are close to the dorms. The only drawback is the construction. We spent some time in DC which is 20 minutes away.
We’ve been to other big 10 schools and although Maryland didn’t seem as exciting- they didnt attempt to win us over with their culture like Penn St or Ohio St- he found the campus warmer. UMd moved up to the top of his list.

7 Likes

The only LEP that is almost impossible to transfer into is Smith business.

Hi
We came to know we had 2500 scholarship per semester in UMD. Since we are OOS our cost is still 55000.
So I was wondering since my daughter didn’t get in to their honors program she won’t be able to register early for classes. She got accepted in to Computer engineering so does it matter? Do Engineering students have hard time getting into the classes if they are not in honors program.
Appreciate your help.

Honors students don’t get priority registration. Priority is based on number of credits accumulated.

Thanks! If my daughter enters with certain AP credits that may give her priority registrations then?

1 Like

Yes, my Terps had AP credits that helped with registration.

1 Like

My D had AP credits starting at UMD and she was always able to register earlier

2 Likes

I live near UMD and happy to answer questions.

I left some info in that thread. Thanks for sharing the link.

2 Likes

Appreciate it.

Same here. I am still not able to decide. Have you decided?

My son got UMD letters and science as OOS and rutgers comp science as In State. Any input if its worth spending 75k extra for UMD?

1 Like

Yes my son chose Rutgers. For us in state Rutgers made sense over UMD.

Thanks.
If you can tell What was your main comparison point?
I am bit confused. My son is ready to go Rutgers, but I am more towards UMD but cant decide.

UMD is definitely ranked higher for CS but not getting direct CS was off putting. Everyone he asked said it’s easy to take the gateway courses and transfer into LEP. So he was going back and forth but he didn’t like paying extra to go to UMD LAS. We also felt that Rutgers curriculum is more flexible than UMD where you have to choose a track. Personally we know multiple CS kids from Rutgers with great placements so really didn’t feel like accepting an offer for LAS at UMD.

2 Likes

Please see my comment for selecting Rutgers.

2 Likes

Will a student who graduates with a CS major from UMD make more than one from Rutgers?
If tech layoffs continue, will trickle down to internships and future grads.

See outcomes , contact the programs directly.
https://careers.umd.edu/sites/default/files/2022-06/umd-grad-survey06.02.2022.pdf#page40
https://careers46.rutgers.edu/public/new_webpage_GradSurveyHome.cfm?school=sas&major_id=198

1 Like

Salary is comparable. I am pretty sure if downturn continues it will impact future employment regardless of which college you go to.

1 Like

Hi what’s the best way to find a room mate in UMD?:grinning:

Hi
What’s your recommendation for a oos girl to find a matching roommate
? She is currently in Clark school for Comp engineering no honors.
She wants to transfer to Comp Sci.
She has gotten into Flexus and also got invited to FIRE.