University of Miami Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

i think i get it. lol. total for COA is 88K. 55k for tuition. the benefit will cover 30K towards tuition and balance is over 55K with room/board. So if the award/merit ($25k) is applicable to only tuition-thats still 25K left for tuition. We still then have $25K to pony up for COA. So thats what I need to ask FA dept. whether or not Pres Scholarship covers if there is still tuition and other costs not paid for by tuition benefit. TY

1 Like

Just that everyone posted last year and year before on day of decision release for ED1 and EA and RD, but I don’t see any posts for ED2 decisions

1 Like

I am in a very similar situation. My daughter got a very good fin-aid package form a very good school for about $30K (need-based). I work for a Very Selective University (Staff) that offers half-off of tuition for you dependent child’s college tuition. The COA that my D received states that if she has any other grants/scholarships/gifts/etc from outside sources, it/they have to be reported, and that it may affect the Financial Aid offered. I was hoping my work grant would cover the rest of tuition, and I would only end up paying for the room/board. Anyone in similar situation ? It’s a dilemma

Good luck with sorting it out. It’s funny. Emory used to have tuition remission too (I went there as well). Now they don’t. The way we found out my son was getting in was a phone call from the financial aid office. They called the day before decisions were out to figure out exactly how the program worked. We got the message. “Please call back today. In need to put this together correctly for his decision tomorrow.” We called back and explained it all. Rep thanked me. Said she was all set and uploading it to his portal so he would see it with his decision letter.

I hung up and said to my husband - if it was a no his portal would look odd with the financial aid decision package uploaded.

2 Likes

So with Case Western we disclosed the tuition remission benefit up front. My daughter has a merit scholarship and it was figured out based on the knowledge of the tuition remission we have. My son gets no aid or merit from Emory. Basically yes it does change the aid you would get. We had to put it on the CSS. It also shows on our taxes and we pay tax on the remission so in that way it’s seen on fafsa too.

The schools will recalculate need based on the benefit.

@ArrBee , when you mention you disclosed the tuition remission benefit upfront, is that when you filed your application, or after acceptance letter arrived with the merit aid ? I wasn’t even aware that I had to let colleges know I am getting tuition remission from employer . I found out about it when the Finanancial Aid Letter that accompanied the Acceptance letter mentioned that any outside grant/scholarships/aids must be reported.

same. We completed CSS in January and sent to all schools with the info about benefit

That’s common practice across most (all?) schools. FA wants a full picture of what you’re getting and where. If you get outside scholarships very often those scholarships get paid to the school - not the student. If it results in a credit on the student account the kid gets a refund of the amount but it’s a way for the scholarship committee’s and universities to track aid given. If the scholarship (remission) is paid directly to the student then you’re supposed to report it.

When I went to college umpteen decades ago I had tuition remission and it was handled by a form that I gave to financial aid and the college handled directly with the awarding agency. Times might have changed.

We put it on the initial application for both my son and daughter. My husband works at UM and my dad is an account so we knew it gets disclosed at the beginning. In the case of CWRU, they even have a third internal form that asks about the program.

We also disclosed to emory that my son has the BK Scholarship. Then we did an addendum. While attending he wound up singing in a choir that met at the school and paid students through scholarship funds to the school so we had to add that.

My daughter was just hired by the performing arts center at Case Western so the school approved that she was allowed to be there and already looked at the numbers. It is not work study.

The CSS form with schools that use it specifically ask about this type of thing.

Then as things change you update.

Got it. I think ED2 will be released on either Feb 17 or Feb 24 so I think it’s too early to start seeing those posts. Good luck!

1 Like

Yes I know it’s not til end of February. I was referring to last year and year before applicants. (Class of 2026 and 2025 forums) Good luck to y’all too.

2 Likes

if you applied ed2 to umiami, does it let you change your major on your application portal, or does it say the deadline has passed? someone said that if it lets you change your major, you were accepted, but i’m not sure if this is true

Rumor is that used to be a “thing” but it no longer is (they fixed it).

2 Likes

What were those dates?

Is there a possibility that ED 2 decisions could be released this Friday (2/17) or is it confirmed for next week?

2 Likes

There’s a chance, but it will most likely be on the 24th. For the past two years, ED2 has been released on the last Friday of February. Hopefully we get news sooner though!

2 Likes

OOS EA acceptee here, Biology
Presidential Scholarship, $32k/yr

-3.95 UW / 4.47 W, Top 10% of my class
-6 APs, 2 DE courses, 14 honors classes
-Dancer of 15 years
-500+ community service hours
-8 or so clubs, (President/Founder in 3, officer in all others)
-Decent awards, but nothing crazy
-NYLF Medicine summer program

Never had a job, shadowing, research, a fancy internship, or anything like that. My personal statement was very good though along with my supplement. Also had very strong LORs and lots of demonstrated interest

I think it’s very possible to get into UMiami, good luck~

3 Likes

i went test-optional as well!

2 Likes

what were the various ways you demonstrated interest?

1 Like

I showed demonstrated interest by touring UM over the summer and emailing my admissions counselor a few times before applying

I also attended a few of their virtual info sessions + Q&A’s. This definitely helped I think, because they said that they kept records of who attended these sessions which would be reviewed during application season