University of Miami Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

Does anybody have a student portfolio or something for last year’s batch or EA this year? Kinda nervous so I just wanted to have an idea of what the stats are like.

We had same concern, never updated in portal. My son did call admissions (Frost) and they confirmed they did receive and that the updated grades were added to his application. Seems they don’t update portal for this.

2 Likes

Our application fee to Frost was refunded. I don’t know if that’s normal, financially based, what have you. My kid did get an audition and deferral.

The option is still there to withdraw or move to regular decision/ED 2 and when they click on regular decision it just says link is broken.

But then they sent an email telling them to make sure they can get into their portal before regular decisions come out. (I’m assuming everyone got one of those)

2 Likes

just wanted to post my scholarship info for the younger students perusing: I got the presidential scholarship ($20,000 per year) and the UM Coral Grant which is both merit and need-based ($9,500 per year) for a total of $31,500. even with my scholarships and some aid, UM is still sadly not affordable so I may have to remove it from my list :((

2 Likes

so i visited umiami recently (not for undergrad admission, but for another reason), and i just wanted to let you all know (parents especially, just so you are aware) that housing at miami is really, really abysmal. it’s a big problem. when i spoke to the undergrads there, that is all they would mention is how most of them are scrambling to find a place to live in the fall, and with a school like the U where a majority of the student body is exorbitantly wealthy, it skyrockets rent cost(s) in the area. an apartment near the U will run you $1600-$1900 (without utilities) a month if living with roommates and around $2300 (also without utilities) a month if living alone.

i don’t say this to deter anyone (campus is beautiful and i visited for a reason), but housing is very tough and it’s something that low-income families (or families who are hoping for quite a bit of financial aid) should think about. people transfer out every year because they end up not being able to find anywhere to live. if you’re a spring admit, this is something you especially need to think about.

edit: i should also say that umiami is in the midst of a new housing project, but that won’t be completed for at least a couple more school years.

7 Likes

You are right. Covid slowed the housing plan by a lot. Housing on and around campus is hard to acquire and expensive. Looking further out from The U doesn’t help much either. All of Miami and the greater area has the same housing issue. The
flip side is there are also neighborhoods throughout the area that have an artsy vibe (both famous artsy neighborhoods and even closer ones). Many young artist - performing and fine artist live in these complexes and the rent and experience is catered to them. It’s funny - you can see lots of music students (as in K-12) entering these complexes for lessons from college age-30 year olds. They areas are close to the metro and the metro stops at campus. That is one way down UM students find housing in the greater community.

My husband is on faculty for the med school. How does he get there. He rides the Metro all the way downtown. High School students ride it to their downtown campuses too. Riding it to Coral Gables is a breeze and for most a couple of stops.

Not ideal but another thing to consider.

absolutely— the metro is a lifesaver in miami. not only does it lead from south dadeland all the way to downtown miami but it also runs to the miami airport as well. i took it when i visited (and i believe full-time students receive a 50% discount on a monthly metro pass).

1 Like

They do get discounts. My husband with his VA and UM appointment downtown is actually free for use. He has to pick up a monthly pass but by guaranteeing he won’t drive more than four times a month free it is. We live in Palmetto Bay so south of even south Dadeland and it is awesome.

1 Like

anyone know when RD decisions will be released??

Saw it was 3/18 on the CC Admissions Calendar

1 Like

thank you!

Does anyone else have a financial certification form that appeared under application withdrawal in the portal? I don’t think it was there before

we have it, appeared some time ago

Interesting, it wasn’t there before my ED decision

In our case, it was not there yesterday - but is there today.

Is anyone else getting an error message when they try to log into the status page?

My daughter was accepted EA with Merit Scholarship.

No test scores
4.52 GPA
24 Dual Credit hours taken AT a local University not through high school
Captian of BB Team 2 years
4 Years Varsity Basketball
2 Years All Conference BB Team
2nd in class
Worked from the time she was 14
Traveled to 22 countries
350 volunteer hours in high school
National Honor Society
National Beta Club