University of Miami Waitlisted?

UM is my dream school and I got waitlisted for the Fall of 2015 but accepted for spring admission. I really want to go here but I know they don’t offer much financial aid for waitlisted students. I’m going to talk to my guidance counselor more about this. I just needed some insight. I am still very much interested in attending except I don’t know if I would be able to afford it with w/o financial assistance. Does anyone know if UM ranks wait-listed students or have a priority list? I want to know what are my chances of getting in for Fall semester. I am positive what kept me from being accepted were my test scores. I am absolutely horrible at testing (SAT: 1510, ACT: 22). Everything else is pretty spectacular (GPA UW: 4.7 W: 3.89, rank: 2/325, stellar recommendations, a lot of ECs, no sports). My parent’s income is > $30,000. I read that I should notify them if I achieve something great or receive better scores. Should I try to retake my SATs? I’m not sure if that would make a difference anymore or should I just wait until spring? Even if I do attend during spring, does this mean that they won’t offer me any grants or aid also? I just want to consider all my options. Thanks in advance.

Not trying to sound mean here, but what is your high school like? It seems like someone with a 4.7 would get better that a 22 on the ACT. Also, retaking the SAT can’t hurt you, but I don’t know nearly enough about how Miami deals with waitlisted students to give you a solid anser

@tg2100 I understand. My high school is not the brightest pool of students. But then again, I know people w/GPAs lower than mine who scored around 30s/1800s, so it could just be me. Thanks though.

Hey for all people wanting to get off the wait list. I was notified around May 1st that I was taken off it. They usually pick students who got offered spring admission in 2016. I declined the offer because they did not offer financial aid. But the admissions email told me they only offered admission to a small pool of applicants. Sorry and good luck

@Bmariee They didn’t offer any finaid, like at all? Also could you tell me if it was through email? Thanks.

They only offered me what was on my FASFA, I got no other grants from the University and since it is over my budget I could not attend. I mean its all what you can afford. And yep they email you the decision. Good luck!

Hi, DiMarie I know this is a year later but I assume that 2016 waitlist isn’t much different from 2015. I was wondering what was the exact date that you found out you were off the waitlist for UM? because I am in the same position right now and I’m not sure when they’re going to tell me the decision. On there website it said starting May 1. Also, would you mind telling me your stats such as test scores ? Because mine aren’t the highest but I just read the first comment on this forum and Theone had lower test scores than mine and got in for spring. What do you think pushed you to get off the waitlist such as stats letters of rec?

But I never got offered for spring 2017 does that put me at a disadvantage on the WAITLIST? Because you mentioned that they usually pick people who got offered spring