University of Michigan Campus Visits: Share Your Tips & Recommendations

Did you recently visit University of Michigan at Ann Arbor? Share your experience with the community! Post your review in the comments below.

Some ideas for what to share:

• When did you visit?
  • Where did you stay? Would you recommend it?
  • Where did you eat? Did you try any local specialties?
  • How did you get there? What’s the best transportation mean to get to-from the campus?
  • What was the campus vibe?
  • What did you think of the dorms?
  • What are some must-see things in or around campus?
  • How were the school facilities?
  • Did you like it more or less than you thought you would? Why?
  • Did anything surprise you?

We’d love to hear any tips or recommendations you can share for people planning their UMich visit!

Just got back from Campus Day yesterday, and here are some of my thoughts:
Was there Sunday April 2nd through today, April 4

• Where did you stay? Would you recommend it?
    Stayed at the Inn at the Michigan League. No amenities other than being on campus, but the room was nice, clean, and location can’t be beat.

• Where did you eat? Did you try any local specialties?
    Ate at Mani’s, Frita Batidos, Anna’s House, and Bersley dining hall.

• How did you get there? What’s the best transportation mean to get to-from the campus?
    We drove, only because airfare was very expensive from NY this weekend. We walked around campus, and took the campus bus on our tour.

• What was the campus vibe?
    The campus vibe is busy, lots of students getting to and from places. Saw a lot of fun being had in the downtown area, but not on campus itself. I think that’s very weather dependent.

• What did you think of the dorms?
    Utilitarian is the word that comes to mind. Definitely tight quarters.

• What are some must-see things in or around campus?
    The law school area is gorgeous. And obviously it’s all about walking around Ann Arbor.

• How were the school facilities?
    We mainly saw the North Campus as far as facilities go. It looks like an industrial complex, not pretty. But the technology and facilities indoors are state of the art.

• Did you like it more or less than you thought you would? Why?
    I was less impressed than I thought I would be. I loved AA, the downtown can’t be beat. But the school grounds were kind of barren, a little schizophrenic in architecture. There’s no charm or character. Our Campus Day activities didn’t include The Big House or any of the sports venues. Maybe that would have helped. I’m an experienced NY commuter, but the campus bus was packed to the gills.

• Did anything surprise you?
    How uninspiring the architecture is in the North Campus. For all the money the school is given and the OOS tuition, you would think the North Campus would match the prestige of the engineering program. I really expected Michigan to do more for an admitted student’s day and I was underwhelmed.

1 Like