University of Michigan EA Class of 2025

We walked around a few weeks ago. Can’t go inside the buildings. But, you can get a “feel”
Just walking around. It’s beautiful!

3 Likes

Thanks

thanks

I should of mentioned it. I was there last weekend and it was a wonderful day. It really is a beautiful campus. Many students walking around and “most” everyone was wearing masks so that was good to see. Remember, not everyone on campus is a student since all the locals go to those stores and restaurants also. But it’s not hard to figure out… :wink:

1 Like

If people here want to see what Michigan students do on an organization on campus this conference will be tomorrow. The board is made up of engineering (mostly CS and a Ross Business student)…

If Zoom is working it should go off well. This is the third annual one and the largest in the Midwest. I happen to know one of the board members well :wink:. It’s free BTW.

Hey!
Does anyone know when the “housing portal” will be accessible to all, if so how will I be able to access it ?

Did you submit your deposit yet. If so, they will send you a link. If you didn’t get one follow the instructions.

https://housing.umich.edu/first-year-application-instructions/

My D had the power go out in her building last night, before a test. I told her just go to a building or the library. She said she would need a current negative Covid test to enter. Add that to your list of items needed to enter buildings at UMich. :laughing:

Power came back on about 15 mins before the test.

I actually knew that. My son told me… Glad she was able to take her test. But that is what phones with Hotspots with unlimited plans are for… Lol… 3 more weeks…

Nope, note yet, still in a bit of a dilemma

Also, Is the housing allocation done on the basis of the type of housing you choose (single, double, triple) or is it possible that the cheaper options fill up faster and I get forced to opt for the costlier ones?

Not really. I posted a link up thread. My son got his housing assignment in August and got what he wanted which was one of their less expensive ones… It’s pretty random based on your preference. They can’t guarantee it but you really never hear about people not getting their preference.

Thank you!
Also is housing in North campus any cheaper than central campus (for the same room type). The website says that the prices for this year haven’t been decided yet.

Go off of last year’s pricing then. Don’t think so. If you. Need to cut cost look at the Coop housing. They also start and end with the school year. There are like 15 of them on campus both campuses

On the course scheduler it says which classes are in person and remote. The large classes are remote the others are not. I was able to check for engineering and my son would have the engr 100 in person, Calc 3 (they won’t take the dual credit unfortunately) in person. Their sequence of science is chem, mechanics and E&M all shoe the lecture remote except I know one has one section of lecture in person. Not sure which he will take if any. Probably will sign up for E&M and hopefully not have to take it and then 2 other gened requirements/electives. Then drop one class later after AP results. I will be advising him to look for in person courses only.

UM also just sent an email to students offering the vaccine before they leave for the semester so that’s great news if they go and actually get it.

1 Like

For anyone still in the consideration range, I think UM has had a really high yield especially of higher stats candidates that maybe in a normal year they normally wouldn’t have had even though they do generally get high stats great quality students. If most of you may recall, UM really encouraged students sent test scores even if it was PSAT. Purdue did the same. Purdue recently acknowledged they’ve had such a high yield for their CS program that they will be suspending their transfer program for the fall and some other stuff. My son was deferred from his ED school then ultimately rejected and chose UM. He’s in a group chat where it’s same story. Schools where normally 25! kids would end up at Ivy Leagues got 0 in. We had 1 when we usually would maybe have a dozen. The one was a super legacy with a named family building. Michigan is the benefactor of this possibly because they did emphasize the test scores even though they didn’t require them (again as did purdue). I would love to see the data when it’s compiled. I didn’t think anything about it but in retrospect now realize it was strange my son was the only one accepted from our school in the big last wave where there were a bunch of rejections and lots of waitlists. That said, if their yield is really high as I suspect, who knows what that means for current people on the waitlists. What I can say is wherever your kid commits they should get excited for and I would put a deposit down somewhere sooner than later just because there is so much information already coming. I’ve been getting updates even from Michigan on a daily basis and it has helped having a sense of what is going on now and their future plans. Without my paying the deposit I would have no idea of any of this.

So, consider that and whether it’s worth hanging around until May 1 for a waitlist spot from another place that may never come.

1 Like

We’ve paid the deposit on 4/6 but haven’t received any communication except the one to set up the uniqname (which my son went ahead and did)…?

So to committed students, there’s a bunch of info being sent? That’s nice to hear, but for those not committed yet, there’s not much (if any?) being sent…zero to parents except a reminder to commit. I wish they were doing more honestly. My D21 is still heavily conflicted between Michigan and USC. I have to admit, to both parents and students, USC is doing a lot of reaching out – forums of student panels, meet the dean of xyz school, personal emails from current students, and a huge variety of other online programming for those admitted but not yet committed.
Of course, as this is a Michigan forum, I’m coming here for some selling points. No financial aid. Welcome advice on adding to pro/con lists.

1 Like

Similar boat here for S

U Michigan, USC (California), BC ???

Visited all three (unofficial visits afforded a walk of the campus grounds and “window shopping” for U Mich and USC… Have a scheduled BC tour coming up this weekend, but we did an unofficial already.

U Mich looks absolutely great, and their academic rep is great. Ann Arbor seemed nice too. USC campus is stunning (but surrounding areas / LA are our big issue, second is distance from East Coast home)

Tough choices here. Lot of questions???Location, weather, reputation, affordability, strong alumni / internships, academics, safety, student resources, etc

2 Likes

The story of our life! It was USC Or UMich for the longest time. But we decided on UMich!

2 Likes

How did you ultimately decide UMich?