University of Pennsylvania - Architecture Masters degree application

I’ve earned my Bachelor’s degree in Architectural Studies from the University of Auckland, New Zealand, and I’m currently pursuing my Master’s here. I’m interested in the MArch program at the University of Pennsylvania and would like to know more about their portfolio requirements and preferred style.

Upon reviewing the student works from PennDesign, there appears to be a unique style. My undergraduate projects heavily lean towards cultural and functional design aspects, and I’m concerned they might not align well with what PennDesign is seeking. Does anyone have insights on what the University of Pennsylvania School of Design emphasizes in MArch portfolios?

Thank you in advance!

Not sure I understand what degrees you have, bc I found

“Students who hold a five-year professional Bachelor of Architecture degree or its equivalent are not eligible to apply to the Master of Architecture program. They are encouraged to look into one of our post-professional Master of Science in Design degree programs.”

I’ve completed a three-year BAS from UoA, qualifying me for the MArch program at Upenn.

My main query revolves around the portfolio specifications. The excellence in their sample portfolios, especially in form development, graphics, and overall drawing presentation, is quite notable. This piques my curiosity regarding the software they might be using. My brother, an alumnus, had pointed out Rhino as the primary tool. But, scrutinizing some of their works, I noticed nuances suggesting computational design techniques.

As I prepare to apply for the next academic year’s initial semester, I should mention that my designs pivot largely on functionality, with a strong accent on cultural and societal contexts. This often results in a secondary emphasis on pure form aesthetics. Though I’m familiar with Rhino, I tend to invest less in the intricacies of form development.

By any chance, do you have contacts with current Penn Design students who might share insights on portfolio content? Any guidance would be invaluable. My outreach on LinkedIn hasn’t been particularly fruitful, yielding mostly superficial interactions.

I am sorry to say I do not know any Weitzman School of Design Penn MArch students.

But, I noticed there are Student Ambassadors with contact info- have you had a chance to engage with them? May be easier as start of semester approaches.

You seem very thorough and your preparations will serve you well, best of luck.

1 Like

Demographics
I am an International student, finished my BAS at the University of Auckland
I am Chinese but raised in New Zealand.

Intended Major(s)
Intending Architecture Masters degree

I have 3 Year Bachelor of Architectural study (most BAS are 5 years but UoA is only 3 years)
4.0 GPA
155 GRE Score

• No budget constraints

Schools
Looking to apply for Ivy Leagues

OK - they closed your other - you were asking about Penn Design.

I think your question you asked - are the rates higher for intl - would depend by school. There was a recent student rejected at Rollins but promised an acceptance if they spent more.

You have no constraints - so that’s good - as Penn is need aware for international.

I’d say this - the rates higher or lower don’t matter - if you want to get in, there’s only one way - to apply.

Good luck.

I’m not sure exactly what you want to know. It’s very hard to chance a student for a masters in architecture program, as most want a portfolio as part of the application review.

So…apply and see if you get accepted to these Ivies (I will ask…why the Ivies?).

At the same time, it would be prudent to be looking at masters programs where you are…if that is possible. I’m not fully knowledgable about how your Chinese citizenship will factor into your masters hunt.

@MYOS1634 any suggestions?

@ziming

All six of the Ivy League colleges that offer the Master of Architecture degree are highly selective. Harvard and Cornell have the largest programs; the others – Penn, Yale, Columbia and Princeton – are equally prestigious, but relatively small resulting in fewer open spaces.

None of them, as far as I know, publishes admission statistics, so we don’t know how many applications they get, how many they accept and of those accepted how many choose to attend. It’s generally understood that their acceptance rate across the board is in the single digits.

Being an international applicant is not a negative. Not requesting financial aid is not a positive.

The objective of the admissions committee is to put together a diverse class: in race, in gender, in economic strata, in age, in educational background, in life experience and work experience.

Although the greatest portion of the class will hold a four year undergraduate degree in architecture or architectural studies, many have degrees in unrelated disciplines and many have already pursued careers in other fields.

In order of priority, admissions weigh the portfolio, undergraduate academic accomplishment, personal statement/essays and recommendations. Life and work experience, as mentioned, can be very influential. The GRE is not a factor.

I’m not sure how your 3 year degree will be viewed. You might research how successful earlier graduates from your university have been in applications to American MArch programs.

Most importantly, I wouldn’t fixate on the Ivy League (or MIT). These are longshots for everyone. Some other excellent MArch programs with much higher acceptance rates that you could research are UofVirginia, UofMichigan, Washington University in Saint Louis, Northeastern. That’s just to start; there are several others in the same class . All of these place graduates at top firms all over the world.

If you’re unable to visit the schools in person, then you should be sure to join their admissions information webinars, which they usually hold in September-November. Don’t be afraid to reach out to the professors and deans listed on the department websites. They want to answer your questions. (You might also take a look at the forums on Archinect.com)

With regard to your portfolio, I wouldn’t overthink it. Choose your best work, work that reflects your talent and creativity. In your statement and essays, focus on your life experience and how your outlook could contribute to studio discussions.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.