University of Pittsburgh Class of 2026 Official Discussion Thread

Totally agree! My D too. Loves it and has adjusted well!

Hi Laura, how soon after the admissions letter did you hear about merit? My daughter has similar stats but is in-state. Got her acceptance letter today. Thanks,

I also remember last year that financial aid came snail mail. Is that true of this year too?

Since I didn’t remember the dates I looked at the document in her portal. The date on the admittance letter was jan.7th, the scholarship date was jan.25th however the letter didn’t show up in her portal till after we reached out Jan. 11th and her congrats video came Jan.14th. hope that helps :). good luck!!!

DS checked today and he did receive a merit award recently. It was a welcomed surprise. Applied in Oct. was accepted in Dec. and visited in Dec. OOS (Maryland). No merit $$ from Penn State (no surprise there) so that is out of the running. Waiting on Ohio State merit and Virginia Tech EA decision before making a final decision.

2 Likes

Where did the merit $ show up? My oos D22 was accepted on 9/25 (Neuroscience) and she’s still waiting for merit, honors decision, and acceptance into Guaranteed PA program. This is her top pick. The wait has been hard and she’s losing hope. In the meantime, she has been accepted to OSU honors and other Big 10 schools honors with merit…but she wants Pitt.

2 Likes

They say that they continuously evaluate for merit through March, but I would say at this point her chances are going to be lower because her app has likely been reviewed multiple times without an award AND they have had so many acceptances after. I am not saying she won’t get merit, but the probability must be lower as time goes on given when she was accepted.

A tip about Guaranteed PA program. My D18 got it and will be graduating undergrad from Pitt this spring. Only 5 get this guarantee each year. It is the most competitive GAP program offered after the medicine GAP. After the first look through of the applicants who say they want to be considered for it on their Pitt application, Pitt will invite candidates to submit an application for the PA GAP. Then, the application is an essay/personal statement, at least 2 letters of rec., maybe something else. Then from those who were invited to apply to the PA Gap, they select 10 candidates to interview. Then 5 get the spots. Has your daughter been invited to apply for it after expressing interest initially on her Pitt application? I want to say she interviewed in March sometime and found out not too long afterwards. It wasn’t right away, but it wasn’t too too long after.

If she has been invited to apply and sent in all of her materials, then just wait for the process to unfold.

1 Like

Yes, thank you.

1 Like

Financial aid or merit? I assume that’s two separate communications?

Still waiting on merit, if any, as well. Seems curious to get nothing at all since he was accepted quickly to comp sci back in Nov :grimacing:

Actually, some financial aid just posted. Junky loan stuff. No merit. Does that mean merit chances are gone or is that separate?

Yes, she submitted an essay and 2-3 letters of recommendation last December.

1 Like

Oh, good luck to her! I hope she gets an interview!

1 Like

We got only merit, no financial. and so far nothing in the mail, only through the doc. portal.

D got a financial aid award, but a little research shows that they sometimes pull it in later years. I’m a little concerned. I don’t think Pitt is really in the running anyway, but the money would make a difference.

? they get rid of it later>>???

We’re going to the Feb 18th event. Really looking forward to it!

2 Likes

i have a reluctant portal checker. is there email notification about merit?

I just looked at my oos D22’s Pitt Mobile portal and it has financials, scholarships, and grant info. Anyone else seeing this too?

2 Likes