University of Pittsburgh Class of 2026 Official Discussion Thread

I think Chancellor’s will happen quickly after Honors notifications are made. Honors can be any day but may be closer to March 1 as I learned from the Pitt Honors 2022 thread. Stamps notified finalists 1 day after interviews were completed.

Honors/Chancellors, like any big award, will involve the type of students who very well may have other big award offers at other schools. Or may turn down a big award to go to HPY or MIT. So they need their process to work for them as well and theyll need time to regroup if a student turns them down. So i do think it will all fall into place quickly once it starts.

Good luck for those waiting on Honors and Chancellors. Will be quite an achievement in a year with escalated applications

2 Likes

Chancellor invites came out at the very end of Feb last year and there were 2 weekends to choose for interviews in the middle of March. The awards were announced March 30th. When my son did his interview last year they talked a lot about his honors essay which is why I think it plays a big role. He did get one of the Chancellors awards. Like Winky1 said some of these students do get into other top schools which is what happened with my son. We did go and visit Pitt even after he got into Yale just is he could make an informed decision. It was a really tough decision but he’s so happy at Yale. One thing he told me (was told to him in his interview) is that if a Chancellors Scholarship is declined it does NOT go to someone else. I found that interesting. Good luck!

3 Likes

If anyone has children from the last few application cycles that got Chancellor’s, what were their stats? I got in back in September but haven’t heard about merit since then. I’ve been doing science research for the last 4 years and have a patent that Pitt has on file. I’m just confused since I also have really good stats but haven’t heard anything.

Amazing- congrats!

1 Like

There are other Pitt threads that contain info. The few Chancellor’s recipients I’ve seen posted have had profiles that mean they are often deciding between an HYP-caliber school and a full ride at Pitt. Think 1550 SAT, 4.0, 1st or 2nd in class, impressive range of ECs & leadership, etc.

40,000+ students will apply to Pitt this year. The Chancellor’s is the top 10-15.

1 Like

For those that had to submit mid-year grades - how long did it take for Pitt to post a decision?

1 Like

My daughter heard back two weeks after her guidance counselor submitted. Good luck!

2 Likes

Does anyone know if they are still granting merit awards? I assume my son won’t get anything given he was accepted Dec 1 and hasn’t heard anything.

My son was accepted in October- we’ve given up on merit. And does anyone who gets in honors college not get merit? I think that’s off the table too. We are in state which works against us I believe, for merit.

@Leigh22 and @Fussing , merit given until March 1. Honors kids do not automatically get merit. Honors decisions will be any day.

2 Likes

We were told that merit could be awarded up through March 1st. I would imagine that the odds are getting thin at this stage for merit money to come through, but I think it’s still a possibility.

Some time ago, I read in this thread that merit was awarded to 10% of accepted applicants. Does anyone have a website link or any sort of official confirmation of this figure from Pitt?

To your point about honors college not necessarily receiving merit, I’d like a better understanding of all of the numbers involved. On it’s face, this seems odd, to put it mildly.

I don’t have the numbers, just a familiarity. But I don’t think its odd that all honors kids do not get merit. Lots of students at private and public schools don’t get merit and some do.

But i definitely dont have the details you’re looking for

One thing to consider is that merit aid offers have been going out since September/October if I am not mistaken. And honors college applications weren’t even due until December-ish? Since many merit aid decisions were made prior to the honors college deadline, it follows that there will likely be kids who 1) Receive merit aid, and 2) Are also admitted to the honors college?

Here is the common data set for Pitt (Oakland Campus) for 2021.
Like I posted previously, one thing to keep in mind is if you are a full pay family, very little students get merit. Like only 200+ students in 2019. You can see these numbers on the link. I KNOW they SAY they don’t consider finances for merit but I doubt anyone has gotten a full-ride being a full-pay family.

Also, like Winky1 said, it’s not uncommon for schools to woo students with the Honors College and give zero merit. This happened to my S19 for William & Mary. It made no sense for him to attend W&M at $65K a year OOS just for the Honors College.

2 Likes

I understand and good info. To extend your point and the data: then it isn’t academic merit, and to claim the scholarship is given for “outstanding academic achievement” when it isn’t is lying to the Pennsylvania taxpayers who fund it. Call me crazy, but I want my tax dollars that are earmarked for the best students at my state’s flagship college… to actually go to the best students at my state’s flagship college.

You can still be an outstanding student, get merit, not get into the competitive Pitt Honors.

2 Likes

And I have no problem with that. My problem is that you can be a more outstanding student, get into the competitive honors college, and not receive merit.

1 Like

Totally agree! IMHO admissions should be 100% blind! Trust me, generous
financial aid is there for those who need it. I have seen this time and time again.
My S19’s classmates (who are not full-pay) received massive aid packages from schools such as Carnegie-Mellon, Notre Dame, MIT, Penn State. Some full financial packages. These were not all top students, in fact not even top 10%.

Us, we received a very badly worded letter from CMU literally saying “you can more than afford full tuition”. It was so insulting I even called about it. But that letter spoke volumes about the process.