University of Pittsburgh Class of 2026 Official Discussion Thread

My son got that same letter

1 Like

I’m most familiar with two schools - MSU and Purdue. Purdue gives little merit, and it is completely independent from Honors College. Totally different people reviewing. Based on anecdotes of who has been offered merit there, it is clearly a marketing strategy. Very few CS majors get merit because they don’t need to offer that. My daughter was offered merit in engineering, but we know boys in engineering from the same school with almost identical resumes that did were not. Her friend with very similar resume not in engineering was offered a larger award.

MSU has one scholarship that is strictly gpa/scores, and then additional awards can come with the honors invite. But their honors invitations are not nearly as selective as many of the other schools we’re discussing.

Just received GAP med email, not chosen to interview.

Interesting. My son was admitted back in December and also got a letter that said he had guaranteed admission (with $5k/year) to a public health grad program. He does not think he applied to it or indicated an interest in the area. We figured it was something everyone received.

2 Likes

Mine got $10k in engineering at Purdue and Honors acceptance.

1 Like

My daughter applied to the medical school. There is definitely differences in the competitive nature of each individual GAP. Since UPitt med is ranked #13 it is essentially getting into a top 15 med school before graduating high school (as long as you complete the requirements)
My girl has a 1550 SAT, national merit finalist, straight A student, full IB diploma candidate, AP scholar with two perfect scores, she has taken 8 highest level science courses in high school, hospital volunteer, tons of leadership, state level competive gymnast etc.
She was invited to apply but did not proceed to the interview phase.

Glad you mentioned it as my son received the same notification regarding the public health grad program. I know the inaugural class of the undergrad public health program will start next fall with our kids so maybe that’s why it indicated Graduate School on the offer of admission?

My daughter was admitted in the fall. Can anyone tell me, if we send an update on grades and new leadership positions in the hopes of getting additional merit aid, who would we send it to? The admissions office, or somewhere else?

Also, I’m wondering what the typical criteria are for the Chancellor’s scholarship.

I suggest call admissions and ask them how to send such update.

1 Like

My kid received a basic itinerary for Saturday’s accepted student day. So one time slot it is either a campus tour, which we did over the summer, or a Pitt Honors open house.
My son calls it “awkward”. There is no way he’d go to such an open house without knowing if he’s in honors. His chances are slim, so not much of a gamble, but I can see his point.

My daughter got the guaranteed admit to public health school too (with $5K a year for undergrad and MPH), didn’t apply or express interest. She applied as generic bio major, definitely not pre med.

2 Likes

Maybe this honors open house is on agenda because announcements will go out before Sat?

2 Likes

Same with my son last year.

We got it last year.

1 Like

S22 OOS got admitted letter today. Applied on Dec 1 st. Any idea when we can except if he is going to get any merit scholarship ?
uw 3.86, w 4.76, 1490 (SAT) all honors and good ECs and Essay.

8 Likes

All merit given out by March1

1 Like

@Winky1 - so if an offer was received (this week), in addition to a financial aid letter from Pitt (this week), a merit scholarship might still follow?

It’s possible. But it’s getting close to March 1 and Pitt received a record high number of applications this year. Truthfully, I think the best shot for merit are for those who apply July 1 - Nov. 15, but that is my opinion. The committee still meets until March 1. Good luck!

1 Like

So, what you are saying is, even though my D has stats comparable to applicants who have posted they received $20,000/yr merit, at this point it is unlikely she will receive any merit and even possible she won’t even be accepted? Even if she is accepted, at $50k/yr… I don’t know. How did my child manage to be graduating in the worst year ever to apply to college? 1540, 4.0, URM, top 1% (top 10 out of over 700), 15 APs (4s and 5s)

3 Likes

It’s getting more competitive every year. Our older daughter graduated from HS in ‘19, and this year is much tighter for her younger sister. Safeties become targets, targets become reaches, and reaches become “don’t waste your time.”

6 Likes