University of Pittsburgh Class of 2026 Official Discussion Thread

how soon does the decision come in after the application status changes from “pending” to “application complete” ?

1 Like

I dont think I have ever seen anybody answer this question and I have seen it asked multiple times. My D’s status went to complete 3 or 4 weeks ago. Still waiting. At least on one screen for self service for application status it says application complete, if you go to the application status on the non-mobile page, under admissions you have two options, application status and accept/decline. On this page it shows pending if you select status. On the mobile page the only option is accept/decline, which tells you there are no options.

2 Likes

FYI - confirming that Pitt is still disbursing merit. Daughter received an email with her award today, in-state. She was admitted in January.

11 Likes

Congrats!

What percentage of waitlisted kids get offered admission? Asking for a friend :wink:

Obviously it fluctuates due to multiple factors, but I’ve read that the average is 20%. I would think Pitt would offer attendance at a satellite campus to start?

We’re from PA. S20’s classmate took the Chancellor’s, Honors and Med GAP over going to Penn. Perfect scores and GPA.
Smart choice if you know the medical options available at Pitt. Always in the top 10 for NIH funding.

I graduated from Pitt many years ago. Lots of high stats students even then.

6 Likes

@Leigh22 - Thanks for that. Are you saying it is an average of 20% off Pitt’s waitlist specifically (ie, average year-to-year), or is that the average across all schools in general?
It’s a bigger number than I would have expected, which could be encouraging if we find ourselves in that situation at any of our top choices.

That’s all schools in general - the “elite” schools seem to be around 7%.
With 50,000 applications however, I don’t even know how they know which way is up.

Got it - that makes sense. Thanks very much!

Looking at the Common Data Set for Oakland campus in 2021 it says that 2,434 students were offered the waitlist, 1,116 accepted a spot on the waitlist and that only 16 students were admitted off the waitlist.
Since this number seems extremely low maybe you should confirm this with someone at Pitt Institutional Research. I personally think the data might not have been updated since the Bradford campus info has not been, unless they had nobody waitlisted there. Here is a link to the data and the contact emails and phone numbers.
https://www.ir.pitt.edu/university-information/common-data-set

1 Like

Pitt overenrolled last year. I’m surprised they took any off the waitlist.

2021-2022
Pitt had 34,407 applicants
23,074 were admitted
First year class was 5,195
Dietrich-3,620
Swanson-703
Biz-424
CS-262
Nursing-186

3 Likes

My local kid was waitlisted for CS: 1560 SAT, 4.0 UW, 40 college credits, applied late (12/9)

If you applied for Pitt Honors on December 1, will you still be considered?

And did anyone get a confirmation when they submitted?

Did the decision literally say waitlisted?

D22 accepted to Pitt Marching Band for the fall. Wondering if Sutherland housing is guaranteed since the school recognizes the band as varsity. I know the varsity athletes are guaranteed housing in Sutherland and was curious to see if D22 doesn’t need to wait for Honors decision before figuring out housing for this fall.

5 Likes

Congrats! and wow, that seems early for Marching band. My S22 is interested but won’t finalize his college decision until early-mid-April. Do you know the timeline for Pitt MB auditions?

My D22 is also interested in the band! What process did you D go through already? Congrats!