University of Pittsburgh Class of 2027 Official Discussion Thread

I am not sure what is most common, but last year my daughter received the Nursing GAP notification the same day she received the acceptance letter. Merit came about 4.5 weeks later.

He did! I have no idea what took so long, but am relieved it was a positive result.

2 Likes

Mine did not submit scores and it took 10 days.

1 Like

My daughter didnā€™t submit test scores and applied 9/11 (also applied to PA GAP, is finishing this extra application step now) and got her official acceptance letter 9/20, with her ā€œAccept/Declineā€ buttons showing up a day or two before that.

1 Like

Are scholarships in the document center too?

yes. for my daughter the scholarship notice was in the document center.

1 Like

D23 received Scholarship letter in document center today, 5000 a year

5 Likes

My son applied to Swanson engineering 9/25. Portal still says pending, but getting several recruitment emails from Pitt-Greensburg. Does this mean anything? Stats 3.4UW, 4.2W, 1430 SAT, IB diploma.

I have no idea about admissions based on stats, but I will say that my D23ā€™s friend who has impressive stats (3.95 UW/1500+ SAT/IB Certificate) applied to business about 3 weeks ago and still hasnā€™t heard. D23 applied to Swanson and was admitted in 4 days, but that was beginning of September. I think admissions is just taking longer now as more applications are being submitted.

As for mail from branch campuses, my daughter has been admitted and still gets almost daily emails or physical mail from Pitt branch campuses. I wouldnā€™t worry too much on that being an indicator.

Good luck to your son!

1 Like

I agree with both of your points, @skitcher . I do think the branch campuses do their own recruiting.

Also, wonderful, smart kids that are perfect candidates who applied to Pitt later than mid September, in my opinion, risk merit money and delayed acceptances, and perhaps even getting branched because of the massive influx of applications over the past 2 years. A regular kid who applies in late November, may not hear until February, easily.

I was with some college friends over Homecoming weekend at Pitt. 1 of my friends who lives in South Carolina had a co-worker ask him if he went to Pitt because the co-worker has a kid applying to schools. When my friend said yes, he went to Pitt, the co-worker went on about how hot Pitt was as a top pick for many kids and how difficult it is to get in.

I really think students help themselves emmensely by applying in August - mid Sept. these days.

4 Likes

Thanks so much! Crossing fingers, we visited this summer, and my son really liked Pitt.

1 Like

Iā€™m really hoping we see some merit but I am been getting discouraged. We are OOS. She was accepted 9/2 to Dietrich but no merit offered. It is my daughterā€˜s top choice and her ACT score is decent but not amazing (32) but Iā€™m not sure how theyā€™re determining out-of-state merit this year. Not expecting much but even a little bit would help. So far she has been offered merit from several other schools but nothing from Pitt which of course is her #1.

Good luck! My son had similar stats and was admitted to U Pitt Business School 4 weeks ago. Our HS Head Counselor did mention that Pitt gets tons of applications starting mid-September and decisions are then significantly delayed. Applications to the business school for 2022 were up 80% as compared to 2021, according to the Business School newsletter.

We also are OOS, also Dietrich accepted around the same time, and ours got a merit letter yesterday.

1 Like

Have any test optional kids been notified of merit?

Application went in early September after me nagging starting on August 1. Student didnā€™t see the email about the portal or SRAR until I mentioned it after patiently waiting for a response from Pitt.

Thank goodness I had us check. We did the SRAR and received acceptance soon afterward, but application was delayed due to this. We didnā€™t get it in until mid-September.

No news of merit. Feeling nervous we missed the boat due to the mistake, which delayed us.

Whatever will be will be!

Well I will say for mine she was getting tons of emails from Pitt Bradford and then got the acceptance for them. She didnā€™t even list them as her back up campus.

Iā€™m curious too! Also, is it mostly OOS or a combo of both OOS/in-state?

Iā€™m thinking a 32 could go either way for merit. I have no scientific proof for this other than the kids who submitted scores in the past 2 years and who received merit money had very high scores. A 32 is great. My D22 had a 32. Iā€™m just not sure if itā€™s high enough to garner merit. Interestingly, she did not get any merit until she received the Stamps Scholarship. Stamps and Nordenberg are full scholarships and do not rely on scores alone. Chancellorā€™s is only awarded to Honors College high achieving kids, but Stamps and Nordenberg are based on the potential for leadership, both domestic and international. More is considered than gpa and scores for these huge awards. @gatormama may be able to help with her chart from last year for an unofficial score range for merit for in state and OOS. Good luck to all!

1 Like

What do we think the SAT/ACT or GPA cutoffs are for merit?