University of Pittsburgh Class of 2027 Official Discussion Thread

Absolutely but had she wanted to go to one of the branches she would have applied there.

1 Like

There is a strategy to apply. Like me, some students want main campus as their first choice but they can accept branch campus if they can not be accepted to main campus. I only put main campus in my application, but it does not mean that I do not want branch campus.

1 Like

Glad it will work for you then! Mine only put the one campus because for her she didn’t want to go to the others. But as I said I can see why they do it. I am sure it’s also for those that just want to go to pitt that even if they go to a branch and transfer in that it’s good for them.

I agree too. Those satellite campuses also have lower credential requirements.

1 Like

What do you mean “lower credential requirements”?

SAT/ACT median scores that they accept are lower same for gpa. I imagine the credentials of the programs and courses would ne the same as the main campus.

It happens to any satellite or branch campuses like Pitt, PSU or others. If we look it positive, it is really good since these small campuses allow students with low credentials (low GPA or SAT) have a chance to go to college they want. Students who graduate from Pitt main campus or satellite campuses will receive an identical diploma (no campus is stated on a diploma).

2 Likes

I understand what you are saying about your daughter. My daughter wants an urban campus as well. It’s where she feels comfortable and therefore it’s where she is most likely to thrive. I’m still hopeful for you that since they split your daughter’s portal into multiple apps, that they might still give her admission to main since they didn’t give a letter one way or the other regarding her main app.

2 Likes

PITTSBURGH – UPMC is launching a new program to make it more affordable for student nurses to complete their education and join the workforce. The UPMC Schools of Nursing Tuition Loan Forgiveness program will help alleviate financial obstacles for students pursuing a nursing career.

Starting January 2023, students who enroll and successfully complete their first semester at a UPMC School of Nursing location and meet academic requirements are eligible to receive up to $7,000 per semester in tuition loan forgiveness for all remaining semesters, with a commitment to work three years at a UPMC facility following graduation.

“The UPMC Schools of Nursing allow future nurses to learn alongside the best of the best, and this program will help remove some of the financial obstacles future nurses face” says Maribeth McLaughlin, chief nurse executive, UPMC. UPMC is committed to helping develop future nurses by investing in programs like this to support nursing education. This program makes UPMC Schools of Nursing more accessible to prospective students. UPMC Schools of Nursing also offer flexible programs for students seeking employment around their class schedules at various UPMC facilities.

UPMC has six hospital-based nursing schools that combine clinical experiences with exceptional academics, with campuses at UPMC Hamot, UPMC Harrisburg, UPMC Jameson, UPMC Mercy, UPMC St. Margaret and UPMC Shadyside. UPMC Schools of Nursing allow studentsto earn a nursing diploma in as little as 16 months at a cost that is less than the average cost of one year of college tuition. Graduates who are working at a UPMC facility also can receive tuition reimbursement if they choose to pursue a BSN.

UPMC Schools of Nursing also participate in grant and loan programs for students with financial need and have full accreditation and approval from the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing.

Students interested in enrolling for the upcoming academic year should apply to UPMC Shadyside School of Nursing campus by Oct. 31, 2022, to begin classes in spring 2023. Students should apply to any of the six UPMC Schools of Nursing campuses by June 1, 2023, to begin classes in fall 2023.Learn more and submit your interest at UPMC.com/nursingschool.

4 Likes

This is NOT Pitt’s School of Nursing. Very different.

This is UPMC Hosptal’s nursing school. specific. FYI.

Of course. Wanted to share this since it would be another path being a nurse with a free tuition if any students are interested.

1 Like

IMO ALL nurses should go tuition free. But that’s another forum , lol.

1 Like

To make people with long waits feel better, DS submitted on 9/3 and went to review 9/7. Because he hadn’t heard yesterday (6 weeks!), the school counselor called and the admissions office said he would hear promptly. Within an hour he had the buttons and today (10/20) received admissions letters to Dietrich and the Law GAP. So don’t give up hope!

8 Likes

Congratulations!

Got email “Your application is moving to the review phase.”

Says among other things in the email: “We know this can be an anxious time, and we understand you are eager to hear from us. No matter what the committee decides, you have a lot to be proud of for everything you have accomplished this far.”

Yikes? Or did everyone get this same email?

My daughter got that email four weeks ago and her application is still pending. I think everyone gets that. Good luck!

I believe that’s their standard letter. No need to worry, although I agree it could feel ominous.

Just wondering when I would be notified of my acceptance/rejection to GAP and of any merit scholarships. I received an acceptance letter to Dietrich on the 10/18

That’s the standard letter. My daughter received it and then received her acceptance about a week later.

Congrats! Did he submit scores? high school college counselor told my son that it takes a bit longer w no test scores.