University of Pittsburgh Class of 2027 Official Discussion Thread

I can’t believe he was waitlisted with that gpa!!

3 Likes

That’s odd def give them a call. My dd decided last minute in Dec to apply since she was getting worried of not knowing about our state schools until end of Jan for EA. She heard today that she was accepted into pitt- maybe there was some processing errors with your application.

1 Like

When did your dd send in her application in Dec? We are still waiting… my son sent in his right after Christmas… thank you

Yup. Applied 9/1. Admitted to Bradford campus. Switched major and asked for reconsideration. They asked for mid year grades and before mine even sent them last week she got a waitlist letter. Disappointed as they said she might not hear till June. She won’t wait around for that.

She sent it in 2nd week of Dec and then didn’t submit her Srar until first week of Jan since she didn’t know she had to submit it separately- she thought it automatically submitted when she submitted her application until she got notified to submit the SRAR. She received the notification today that she was accepted into the school of computing.

3 Likes

Thank you and Congratulations :tada:

2 Likes

Shocking! Are you sure there is no error when entering the info to SARS?

Did you apply with test score or test optional? The test optional causes many unexpected results.

Call to the admission is a good option. Best of luck!

1 Like

So, it is fairly safe to assume that if my son hasn’t received any merit aid yet, that none will be forthcoming? We’re trying to schedule campus visits, and we’d like to visit Pitt for an admitted students day, but honestly he’s not going to Pitt without some aid (Indiana, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas have offered great merit, is Pitt just one of those schools that doesn’t provide much merit?)

1 Like

Spoke with Admissions today. Pitt is at over 55K applications and said they have no open spots left. He said waitlisted letters started going out in Jan. I am sure there are students that will get accepted after this date. I guess my son was one of the average applicants. They will not reconsider his application based on the fact they don’t have any open spots left. So, again, we ride the Wait and See Train. Pitt is his top school and he will accept the waitlist, pay deposit on backup school and hope that he gets taken off the waitlist. Positive note is that he was offered waitlist for Main, and not a regional campus. He will need to decide if he is ok with a regional campus if he doesn’t get off the waitlist

4 Likes

I can echo your comments…Minnesota and Ohio State were both very generous with merit for my 23. However DS is a CS major. Been virtually shut out of merit at Pitt this admissions cycle. Too bad.

1 Like

Mine stated clearly she’s not interested in a branch campus.

1 Like

Think it might be worthwhile to reach out to an admissions counselor, just to confirm no merit forthcoming?

Congrats to your DS - we’ll be visiting Minnesota again for their admitted students day on April 1. My son really likes Minnesota, but next week we’re heading to Bloomington for their CS admitted students day.

1 Like

Who knows if its worth the effort? Guess it really depends on your school preference?? If its a top 3, maybe it would be worth presenting them with the offers from “comparable” schools? If they could come up with $, probably ask you to commit on the spot. Best of luck!

2 Likes

My son accepted as CS major too and there is no merit awarded.

1 Like

I found this site yesterday - looks like my son isnt’ alone about being asked for Mid-Term grades. He applied in August without SAT’s (I think that was a mistake). He was asked to submit his 1st term grades 2 marking periods - he got straight A’s both periods. He status is still pending. Just got access to his portal. I suppose no news is good news. Good luck to everyone - this is painful.

So sorry. He has such a good gpa and applied early too. Wondering why they waitlisted him. What major did he apply for?

wow, what major is he applying? It sounds very tough and made me worried about my junior who plans to apply test optional next year.

Same. So discouraging.

Dietrich A&S. I think because we had to wait until Mid Jan for mid year grades that hurt him. He is ok with the wait list for Fall admissions to main. We have some back up plans in place

1 Like

:frowning_face: That really stinks, I’m sorry. Any idea why they would have wanted mid year grades? Did he have a dip junior year? His GPA was so high - seems like he would have been a slam dunk for Dietrich?