University of Pittsburgh Class of 2027 Official Discussion Thread

Last year, 1,666 kids on the waitlist were admitted. Although, after chatting with admissions just now, they do not have the data of what school those applicants were accepted to. I can imagine most of them were from A&S.

This doesn’t show how many were offered a spot. Could have been much higher, but declined admissions because they committed somewhere else.

We are encouraging our son to think about other schools that he would like to attend in the event he doesn’t get off the waitlist. We told him we would pay the 2nd schools deposit and if he got into Pitt, will eat that deposit and pay for Pitt, becuase this is what he wants and where I know he will thrive.

4 Likes

Their most recent common data set shows 1666 as being admitted from wait list. It’s such an astounding increase from 16 the prior year, I have to wonder if it’s an error.

The number of quailified applicants offered and those accepted the waitlist were nearly triple in 2022 from 2021. Again, 16 taken off waitlist seems so slim.

When did ur child apply who got waitlisted?

Awesome - I’m convinced the 16 was due to the insanity and panic of COVid. The science / analytics probably changed in 2022 - 44% of students who accepted the waitlist were admitted. How many others got accepted BUT didn’t accept? I’m sure the science is even better.

2 Likes

Has anyone gone back to Admissions and asked for a reconsideration to the main campus? My son was placed in the Bradford campus…unfortunately that won’t happen…his midterm grades significantly increased his GPA, we updated the SRAR on Wednesday, but got a decision yesterday. Thoughts advice ? Thank you

He applied 8/24. They requested mid year grades and he updated his SRAR 1/25. His App was marked complete 2/15 and WL on 2/16. We were told his App date would not change if they asked for mid year grades, but I am pretty sure that they considered him a late applicant vs early. He is a legacy where both parents went to Pitt, brother graduated in Dec 2021 from CBA and sister is currently a Junior.

2 Likes

Wow that’s crazy. I applied august 1st and got accepted in September. Best of luck to your son.

1 Like

I’ve seen here that merit is highly uncommon for CS. They simply don’t need to give the discount to get enough students for that major.

1 Like

September 1!

1 Like

Merit at Pitt in general is highly uncommon.

1 Like

Yes… mine applied September 1 under business. She was accepted to Bradford like 6 weeks later. Her school counselor called admissions as she was kinda shocked she didn’t get in. Admissions told her that my daughter didn’t have a Calculus and it was needed for the business school. My daughter contacted her admissions rep and asked if she could be reconsidered for main if she changed her major. She was told to send a formal email and send her mid year grades. 3 days PRIOR to sending her mid year grades (that they asked for) she got the waitlist letter for main campus.

2 Likes

I’m not to sure you need calculus to be accepted to the business school because my brother applied two years ago and got accepted to the business school without taking calculus.

Well this is what admissions told my daughters counselor. She didn’t even have pre-calc.

Very interesting. I’m not sure then. I take AP calc but I’m going for science so I’m not sure.

1 Like

Yup is strange… yet my 2021 daughter got into UofSC business school (which is amongst the top in the country) without Calculus.

Maybe they meant to say that they expected pre-calc, and slipped up and said calc instead?

4 Likes

I think they said “any calc” which would cover pre-calc or regular. As in “She didn’t have a calculus class”. But either way since she didn’t have either, it was clear lol

Did she have four years of math?

1 Like

2 years algebra, 1 year geometry and 1 year stat (which I assume is considered a math). She has a few AP courses, a few honors courses and a few accelerated courses (which at her school is a step above the college prep course). Out of her class of 500 kids she is probably hands down the most involved with tons of leadership, community service, clubs, sports etc… but that doesn’t seem to matter.

1 Like