University of South Carolina Waitlist (2022)

My son applied early action, was deferred, then waitlisted from University of South Carolina. He is a strong student with great submitted SAT scores, varsity athlete, National Honor Society, etc. He applied to the business school which we realize is very competitive, but we didn’t realize it would be this difficult to be accepted. This was a school he was thinking was more of a safety school. We visited (we are OOS) and absolutely fell in love with the school.

I’m curious if anyone has any success stories about this school, possibly if you’ve been waitlisted and then accepted, and if so, did you have to wait until 5/15 (when they said they’d have a decision?).

Any other insights? He was accepted to 5 other schools so has other choices but none that excite him as much as SC.

This has been very discouraging.

4 Likes

We applied RD and I guess we didn’t realize that majors “fill up”. My daughter applied as an Exercise Science major and in hindsight maybe should have applied as Chemistry (her second major) because she got a 4 on the AP chem test. We visited last October and that was when we saw in the presentation that Exercise Science was in the top ten most popular majors. I was holding out a small hope that she could get accepted off the waitlist in her second major (chem). But again, with no merit the price tag is too steep for us. :confused:

1 Like

I also did see in the acceptance threads from last year that some got off the waitlist before May 1. I think it was April 20-something when some posted that they got off the waitlist.

1 Like

Yes, hindsight is 20/20 for us also regarding choice of major. It is interesting thought that some who were deferred at first were then accepted into their second choice major, while others were waitlisted. Obviously I don’t know what your son’s great SAT score is or his GPA (nevermind other ECs/attributes, etc), but agree that it seems to be all over the place in terms of admissions/deferrals/waitlists. Two years ago some students got off the waitlist end of March/early April, but a lot has changed since then and last year it wasn’t until the end of April and it seems like fewer got off the list… BUT that is only going by this site.

All I know is that it is as clear as mud!!

3 Likes

Hoping we do hear back before May 1st!

1 Like

Fingers crossed!

1 Like

My OOS daughter also applied exercise science EA, deferred then waitlisted. I don’t believe she specified a second major. Were they required to on application or was this an option? Thank you.

2 Likes

If I recall correctly, it was on the Common App where it asked for first and second choice major. You can probably open the PDF in the Common App and see what was designated. Not sure if it was required or not.

90% sure it was required. Agree that she can probably pull up her app and see.

Thank you, just checked, and she did!

2 Likes

Hi!! I’m also on the waitlist and I’m praying I get off! Please let me know if you’ve gotten off the waitlist and what your stats were
I applied undecided and my gpa is a 93.6 and 1170 SAT

We are still waiting to hear! My son’s guidance counselor said she was going to call the recruiter to see if they could provide an update but we haven’t heard back. My son has GPA of almost 4.0 and 1250 SAT. He applied for the business school. Fingers crossed you both get in. I’ll post when we hear back!!! Do you haved a second choice school?

Yes as of now If I don’t get in I’m gonna end up going to tennessee! Where is he looking

1 Like

He got into U of Alabama, College of Charleston, Bentley U, and Auburn (but for spring, 2023 semester). His heart is set on SC. We loved the campus and the business school. We are visiting Bentley next weekend. I hope he falls in love with it as the waiting has been very hard. Tennessee sounds awesome and you can’t go wrong with either school!

Good luck to all of you. I don’t have experience with the wait list but just wanted to say how thrilled I am to see their stats going up and up and UofSC getting more competitive every year. I have a daughter graduating from there next month and in most ways, it’s been a phenomenal educational experience for her. If you get offered a place for fall, take it!

Heard recently (thursday) that the are still working on things… that should be real soon. Our school counselor hasnt any new info.

1 Like

Heard recently (thursday) that the are still working on things… that should be real soon. Our school counselor hasnt any new info.

do you think that they will start taking people off soon?

thats what i heard this week… that they were very close

1 Like

Okay thank you!! Let me know if u hear anything else😋