"Unmentioned"/"Hidden"/Additional Scholarships

<p>There have been a number of threads on the subject of “unmentioned”/“hidden”/additional scholarships for incoming freshmen. Here a couple of additional specifics:</p>

<ul>
<li><p>The Alumni Association elected not to award a Crimson Scholarship to an out-of-state student for the upcoming school year. A Crimson Scholarship has traditionally been awarded to one out-of-state student each year.</p></li>
<li><p>The “Presidential Elite” Scholarship is only awarded to students who have a 36 ACT or 1600 SAT (CR+M), and at least a 3.5 GPA.</p></li>
</ul>

<p>Now for my opinion…
For NMF and up to Presidential Scholarship levels, UA does an exceptional job of providing guaranteed merit scholarships based upon defined criteria, much better than any other university that we have interfaced with during the process. However, UA does not do the same exceptional job when it comes to rewarding high-achieving non-NMF students. </p>

<p>DD is one of those - 35 ACT (incl perfect on Eng & Sci), 1500 SAT (incl perfect on Math) NM Commended (would have been NMF if we lived in AL or ~25 other states), 4.5w/4.0uw, 10 APs with 5’s or 4’s on all AP tests, key leadership positions in one of the top marching bands & wind ensembles in the country, and numerous ECs and community service activities. Certainly “academic elite” by just about any definition (but that’s a discussion for another thread, right M2CK?). She received a “full tuition plus” package from another university with similar standing as UA, and UA has declined to match.</p>

<p>At the risk of sounding ungrateful for a full tuition OOS scholarship, we were disappointed that she did not receive something above Presidential, especially given what seems to be a great deal of accomodation for students that don’t specifically meet some of the defined levels (e.g. - “unmentioned” Foundations in Excellence). She was ultimately offered a package equivalent to anyone with a 32 ACT and 3.5, despite having far superior stats which I think would help UA’s overall stats for rankings.</p>

<p>Lesson learned? Push your early HS student on the PSAT. Being named NMF is the only sure way to maximize scholarship rewards from UA.</p>

<p>With an ACT 35, your D should have been awarded more money. In the past, those students have gotten an additional $4k per year (unless they’re in eng’g).</p>

<p>Who did you contact about matching the other offer (and who is that other offer from)?</p>

<p>Bull87, Are the schools comparable in opportunities and majors provided? </p>

<p>I am curious as to the comparison of the schools and how your daughter will be making the decision where to accept. </p>

<p>Congratualtions on having great options!</p>

<p>Vlines - Schools are comparable from a reputation and majors standpoint. D will likely attend UA. Great fit/feel that matches what she wants from a school; great opportunities; great facilities, etc.</p>

<p>my daughter made a 29 on the ACT. Although she received the standard $14,000 scholarship but was hoping for something additional like departmental scholarship or something else smaller as all competing schools have - however, nothing in addition to the $14,000. we are grateful but disappointed.</p>

<p>my daughter made a 29 on the ACT. Although she received the standard $14,000 scholarship but was hoping for something additional like departmental scholarship or something else smaller as all competing schools have - however, nothing in addition to the $14,000. we are grateful but disappointed.</p>

<p>Can you clarify…</p>

<p>I’m not aware of an automatic scholarship of $14k for an ACT 29. If my memory is correct (and it may not be… lol), I think that you’re instate. Is that right?</p>

<p>yes, sorry, reading my previous post again made me realize how tired and weary i am tonight trying to navigate between all the college login sites to look at scholarship info. she is instate and with her high school GPA and ACT score, she qualified for a $14,000 scholarship ($3500 per year). We filled out the scholarship app in December and she was hoping for an additional scholarship but didn’t get one from UA. However, almost all other schools - including Auburn, awarded additional smaller scholarships on top of the routine ones based on GPA and ACT score. Disappointed…</p>

<p>What did your D put down as her major? And did she declare a major by December?</p>

<p>she put english down as her major. she had pre-law sometime in december but we changed it shortly after.</p>

<p>Hmmm…</p>

<p>That probably hurt her. </p>

<p>Pre-law isn’t a major, so no dept would have awarded her a scholly. Decisions are often made in Dec. :(</p>

<p>oh, i see. i thought they didn’t really do the departmental scholarship decisions until feb or so. i called the english dept and they said they didn’t award specific english dept scholarships to incoming freshman. i called the office of the dean of arts and sciences and was told they only had 15 departmental scholarship awards and my daughter wasn’t one of them? that didn’t seem like alot of departmental scholarship awards.</p>

<p>i called the office of the dean of arts and sciences and was told they only had 15 departmental scholarship awards and my daughter wasn’t one of them? that didn’t seem like alot of departmental scholarship awards.</p>

<p>Do you mean College of A&S scholarships? If so, that’s diffferent. Those are “college” scholarships. Dept scholarships are from each major. There are more than 15 awards for the various majors within A&S. As for when they’re decided, it depends on each Major. Since some begin determining in Dec, it can hurt to declare later.</p>

<p>However, it looks like in the case of English, they don’t award any to frosh. :frowning: That’s unfortunate! :(</p>

<p>yes, i meant the college of a&s. this was the response from the english dept: </p>

<p>Yes, all scholarships for 2012-13 academic year have already been awarded; by scholarships, I mean those that are under the control of the English Department. These are, by the way, only a fraction of the number of scholarships that are awarded by the University through its various arms and agencies.</p>

<p>I should add that, at least so far as I know, we have never awarded one of the scholarships under our control to an entering freshman. Our scholarships are generally restricted to junior and senior English majors who have proved their merit in our course work. In other words, the farther along you are and the more outstanding your record, the better your chances of being awarded one of our scholarships. </p>

<p>I hope this helps.</p>

<p>Sincerely,
John Burke
DUS, English</p>