Hidden scholarships

<p>Looking around here something caught my eye</p>

<p>Is there really a $4k/yr “unnamed” scholarship for freshman with high stats that aren’t NMSF/NMF?</p>

<p>So if i had a 3.9 gpa and 35 act, and did engineering, I would get the presidential full-tuition + 2500 for engineering + this 4000?</p>

<p>Is this true? and are there other scholarships like this?</p>

<p>I think so… it’s for kids with like 35/36 ACT.</p>

<p>Seems to be the case…but you have to apply NOW…so that you can get the scholarship app submitted by Dec 1st.</p>

<p>Hmmm…I have been seeing this additional merit aid for “high stats” non-NMF kids mentioned often. How and when is it typically offered?</p>

<p>Last year, it was offered right after the person applied and was accepted. </p>

<p>Keep in mind that you have to apply by Dec 1st (Thursday), which means that you need to apply TODAY, so that you can get the follow-up email (which takes a day or two) and then submit the scholarship app by Thursday.</p>

<p>Send scores and transcripts, too.</p>

<p>Mom2ck: Correct me if I am wrong but just to let applicants know that although the application deadline (for scholarships) is December 1st., the transcripts and scores can arrive later than that. As Mom2ck said you MUST apply today and then apply for scholarships by December 1st.
Since the deadline is so close, I would keep a close eye on your email and as soon as you send in the scholarship application, make sure to call and verify that the scholarship application was received.</p>

<p>Reading this thread (and others) makes me wonder if it would be worthwhile for my daughter to take the ACT again. Her highest sitting is a 33 and her superscore is a 34. She hasn’t tested in almost a year. She never made a 35 on any subtest, so we didn’t think it was worth it to sit again, last year. But maybe the additional time in school might help raise her score. She’s already completed all her scholarship apps, but it isn’t too late if she retook in December, is it?</p>

<p>it’s questionable. Bama doesn’t consider the Dec test for ASSURED scholarships…but it might award this optional scholarship for a high Dec score. It’s unknown, but possible.</p>

<p>The deal is that if you have a high Dec score, you can’t expect a scholarship while you can if your score is from the earlier exams.</p>

<p>I already applied and submit the scholarship app back in september, which is why I’m curious. I already got my acceptance, and a letter about the presidential and engineering scholarships, and on both of those letters it said I would get a letter in march regarding my “official scholarship offers” or something.</p>

<p>I haven’t heard anything about this extra scholarship, so thats why I was wondering. This “extra” $4k would probably make me submit my enrollment deposit the day I got it.</p>

<p>If on the scholarship app I checked off that I was applying for the Bert Banks patriotism scholarship and another one that required an essay and chose not to do those, would that affect my scholarship offers? Would it delay them?</p>

<p>I’m trying to remember when those “extra awards” were granted. I remember a mom mentioning that her son got one around December, but I don’t know when he applied. </p>

<p>I’m also wondering if these awards are for those who are non-Engineering STEM and have high stats…because engineering gives an additional scholarship. If that’s the case, then at least the school should give the additional 1500.</p>

<p>wondering…ds fits the profile of the “high stats” non NMF profile. He has not received an offer of additional scholarships…nor has he received and invite to any days on campus…he is really interested in UA…are we missing the boat some how?</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Are you talking about the invites to Capstone Scholars Day? Don’t know how those are issued, but I know if you request one, you can get one.</p>

<p>Has your child applied and been accepted? Did he submit the scholarship app? What major did he select?</p>

<p>Does he have like an ACT 35/36 or a SAT 1500+? (M+CR)</p>

<p>Is your child going to apply to CBH? If so, more scholarship money can sometimes come that way.</p>

<p>Thanks M2Collegekids…he has applied and been accepted. Submitted the scholarship appplication. Undecided major…pre-med track. He has the 35/36. He has applied to the CBH and is very excited about the opportunity if selected. He is just curious…seems like several have been quickly offered this 4K and capstone invites…nothing on this front. He visited this summer…had that “fit” kind of day. Now feeling that he has missed something. Thought I’d ask the question…</p>

<p>^^^I would call the Honors College tomorrow, it seems as if you are just not getting your email or letters, have them double check both addresses, mentioning that your student did not receive his invitation to Capstone Scholars Day (Sounds like an oversight to me). Has he been checking his crimson account regularly for emails?</p>

<p>* Undecided major…pre-med track*</p>

<p>I think that’s the problem. He needs to select a real major…not just “pre-med”. If he selects a STEM major…like Chem, bio, etc, it may help him get that extra money. </p>

<p>Some kids just select “pre-med” when they apply, but they really need to select a major if they want extra scholarship consideration. </p>

<p>What major has he been considering.</p>

<p>He can select his major on MyBama…I think on the left side of the Academics tab…or the Student tab.</p>

<p>Yes he has been checking. He just doesn’t want to have them think less of him if he inquires.</p>

<p>My son is a current Freshman in the Honors College and Engineering. He had a 34/36 on ACT. He did get the Presidential Scholarship and the Engineering Scholarship. I don’t recall ever seeing the $4000 Scholarship that is in question on this thread. </p>

<p>Could it be because he is in Engineering and he only had a 34 on this ACT?</p>

<p>I think Seekingknowledge’s son needs to choose a major. Since he’s pre-med, he can choose ANY major, but (I think) to get the extra $$$, he needs to select a STEM major. If I’m remembering correctly, the people who mentioned getting that extra money had an ACT 34/35 and were STEM majors. </p>

<p>What are his interests?</p>

<p>Thanks m2ck. That would explain it. His interests are broad and he really wants the opportunity to explore before declaring a major.</p>

<p>His interests are broad and he really wants the opportunity to explore before declaring a major</p>

<p>declaring a major won’t stop that exploration. He should declare a major now, but then either change it to undeclared before school starts, or just take what he wants next fall. Declaring a major doesn’t require you to take any particular classes next fall unless you declare engineering.</p>

<p>For instance…if he declares Biology, that won’t affect ANYTHING since he’s pre-med. Even as undeclared, he’d be expected to take Bio I first semester since he’s pre-med. He can still proceed as if Undeclared.</p>