Unsure About Boarding School and Looking for Advice

The bonds with our son were strengthened during his BS years. The absences were just enough to eliminate the downsides of the daily rub of teenage existence and fortify the upside of quality communication that he initiated whenever he wanted to share, vent, ramble, or just hear our voices. (And I’ve often posted that our only child only called us every couple of weeks; he was just too engaged to think much about his poor, lonely parents.) When he came home, that time, too, was rich with a connection that wasn’t as strong as when togetherness was taken for granted. Sometimes, a bit of absence does make the heart grow fonder.

But, it is true that different families bond differently and define those bonds differently. Anyone who feels that their family bonds would be jeopardized by some separation would be wise to weigh that possibility seriously when considering boarding school.

3 Likes

Please do not respond to hidden posts. They were hidden for a reason, and the responses will also be hidden

1 Like

the daily rub of teenage existence

Is that not just parenting?

(And I’ve often posted that our only child only called us every couple of weeks; he was just too engaged to think much about his poor, lonely parents.)

The prospect of my teenager only calling home every couple of weeks would be horrifying. They are my responsibility until they are 18 and I would hate to be that uninvolved in their lives. It might of worked for you but I simply just do not understand it. And from OT initial posts I would hope that is not the case either.

Again, @KRogers, boarding school is not for you. Time to move on.

8 Likes

This is why we are only considering schools that are within easy distance from grandparents, aunts, brothers, etc. We would want her to have the option to go “home” for the weekend to a familiar family home. And yes, at least one of us (mom or dad) would go to visit on family weekend. But this is probably the thing that is giving me the most hesitation about the process (the distance).

1 Like

Distance was a big issue for us, too, especially as there were no direct flights between our home and the airport closest to his school, so we were concerned about connections, but at least he was still in the country even if almost 3,000 miles away. We had no family anywhere near, so I understand this concern. I’m not sure there is any way to completely eliminate the fear of not being able to get to your child or get your child home in a timely manner should an emergency arise. In the end, we trusted the school as best we could, and it stepped up deftly in a couple of health-related emergencies, but that distance was always a thorn in my side. Thankfully, there are some truly wonderful people on this board who acted in loco parentis for us a few times and whom we later met IRL. This is a tight community. We have each other’s backs—yours, too, should you decide to embark.

5 Likes

It seems to me you have already made up your mind, the initial reluctance of the child and having to sell the idea to her is very sad.

I don’t know what else I can say that I haven’t already said to make it clear that it is her choice and this is only one option we are considering as a family. As I have mentioned, she can say no thanks at any time and she knows that. We suggested this as a possible solution for her and she took the time to think about it (with us never mentioning it again) and said she wanted to look into it more. We have told her that this is not the route we would choose, but if she wants to do it, we will continue to look into it with her. I’m not sure how you interpreted anything I said as me having made up my mind, but you can rest assured that this is far from settled or a done deal.

Again, this is a prep school forum so I am here discussing this one option and gathering information to figure out if this could be a viable path. I want to know everything I can so I have posted asking many questions and tried to come up with a list of schools that could be a good fit for my daughter so she can research further. Outside of this forum we are also researching our other options and I am just as diligent in that research as I am here, but am not discussing those options here as it is not the right place.

1 Like

??? I’m not sure where this came from either. What have I said to give the impression that we can’t care for our child? I know you said you didn’t want to antagonize and I respectfully read and heard and took to heart what you initially said (and thanked you for commenting), but this feels like a step too far. I can’t stop you from commenting here, but I will ask you to kindly not make judgements or assumptions about me as a parent or our family. Thank you for understanding.

8 Likes

My apologies sorry, I have never posted online and am so used to writing literal documents. When I say “care” I mean actual care, as in physically keep her with you. I don’t mean love. Please don’t take offence. I am not making judgements on your family, I am actually writing an article on something similar and was searching the web for detail. Your post struck me and I felt very sorry for your little child, envisioning a little 12 yr old girl about to embark on becoming a woman without her mother. I got the impression (perhaps wrongly) your daughter was reluctant to go, that started me researching this topic in particular, and returned countless other examples and ultimately I posted that thread to get BS parents feedback. I am inundated today with stories from kids I reached out to yesterday.

As is evident I am staunchly against the institutionalise of children, in my view there is always a way to keep the family together but it is the reluctant children I want to write about. Again apologies if I took you up wrong. I wont post about you again.

Thank you for your reply and explanation. As I said before, I do appreciate your perspective and advice as we aren’t just looking for the sugarcoated version of everyone’s experiences.

HI - 1st time boarding school American family here, lived overseas the past 20yrs in Asia/ME and have a 3rd Form daughter that just started at KENT SCHOOL in Kent CT and loves it! Her older sibling left for college in New England and she drove the process to go to boarding school.

She was accepted to Hotchkiss, Loomis, Kent and waitlisted at Choate & Taft. We were partial to the better known names and leaning towards Hotchkiss or Loomis or even waiting for possibly Choate, (we are also full pay).

Our daughter was drawn to Kent for the people and the ‘vibe’ so we fully supported her choice. They are all amazing schools so the only bad choice was not listening to her. She loves Kent, and is doing well academically and involved in the arts, music, community service and sports. The school has a beautiful setting, water sports, horses, skating rink all which are welcoming to the school community. My daughter is also a scout and earned her silver award with USGSOS, looking to start her gold next year.

We find that Kent keeps her so busy, even on Saturdays (limited school day) that she is not wanting to leave the school to visit anyone, unless it is to NYC to see a broadway show with the school. We see her for breaks which are great for travel, most of March is their spring break.

She and her friends love to walk to town, which is friendly and has such New England, and great food.

The academics are challenging enough to provide success and build confidence but also keep a love of learning and development of solid habits to life long learning. The school has good ethics and a family feel without being pretentious or making you feel like you have to donate a wing.

I hope this helps, best of luck to you and your family. Feel free to reach out if I can offer any more perspective that may help.

17 Likes

I personally went into ninth grade having turned 13 that may, and it worked out for me.

2 Likes

If you do indeed care about the welfare of children, please focus your attention elsewhere on those who truly need it.

ALL the parents here care and love their children very much, enough to sacrifice their own wants and desires so that their children have a great academic and community experience to start their lives and contribute back to society.

In case you hadn’t realised, it is all about the students, NOT the parents.

2 Likes

BS is not for everyone. No boarding school discussed on this board forces any unhappy student to remain. What you are describing is an unfortunate family situation that does not reflect on the school.

6 Likes

Aaaaaannnnyway . . .

Giving an update after more research being done by the young Wazlib. :smiley: She is finding some schools that are really rising to the top. Much like @calliemomofgirls for her youngest child’s search, the thing that is rising to the top for my daughter are schools that have a strong community and feeling of kindness. She is having a hard time with some schools with online searching and trying to figure out if there is a strong community among the kids. Also important (about equally so) is that the school has a lot of clubs and activities (and a lot of student-started/run clubs). She doesn’t want just “Math Club” and “Science Club”, but is feeling much more strongly favorable toward schools where the clubs are quite obviously started by students, even if she’s not interested in that particular club. For example, one school has a Harry Styles Club (not her thing, but she appreciated that the school has it on the list of clubs on their website) and another has a Dog Walking Club. She is looking for a school strong in academics, particularly science, history, and writing. She likes hands-on work. We as her parents want her at a place that will encourage her to try new things and allow her the space to develop interests in a variety of areas.

I would love some feedback from the parents that have either sent kids to schools she is considering or visited/interacted with students and faculty on campus. The search has narrowed to only schools in New England or very close (Emma Willard and Millbrook made the cut). So sad to say that Mercersburg (which sounded like the perfect fit from parents on here) is out, as are other great schools like St. Andrews.

On the very long list to research or that have already been researched along with some thoughts from the young one to help everyone understand what she is looking for:

Schools that have been researched and liked/loved:
Berkshire - loved the advanced and hands-on science programs, theatre productions, XC team, location, Pro Vita (both ethos and actual program) etc.
Emma Willard - loved what she could see of the culture, great academics, doesn’t mind that it is all girls
Middlesex - a favorite so far, loved everything about it - culture/community, clubs, sports, arts, location, writing program, etc
Millbrook - She wasn’t as wowed as the first three, but she still liked. Liked the opportunities the zoo seemed to offer
Pomfret - Probably her least favorite of the schools she likes. I have to say, from the videos we saw, it seems kind of run down?? Everything in the background of the videos had paint missing from walls, kind of a “basement” feel to a lot of the rooms, etc. Does anyone have a different point of view on this or videos that might showcase some people with more personality and facilities with more “pizzazz”? Fun fact, though - when she researches the schools, she looks at the menus for the week (food is important!) and Pomfret was making her very favorite food for dinner on her birthday (and it’s not a popular food). That put a smile on her face.

Schools that have been researched and are currently “okay”, but not in the top:
Choate (The feeling was “meh” on this one. Seemed too impersonal and institutional from the website and videos)
Deerfield (she said she couldn’t really get a good sense of community here - any thoughts or places you can direct us to look for videos or things that will showcase a strong community?)
Northfield Mount Hermon (a fairly strong dislike on her side)
St. Mark’s (asking her to take another look at this one)

Schools still to be researched:
Concord Academy
Gould Academy
Holderness
Hotchkiss
Loomis-Chaffee
New Hampton
Proctor Academy
Putney
Suffield Academy
Tabor
Taft
Westminster
Westover
Williston Northampton

Schools removed from consideration:
Groton (religious requirement)
Kents Hill (no theatre program)
St. George’s (religious requirements)

Dealbreakers for her: Any sort of religious “must do” (for example, the requirement at Groton to attend a religious service is an absolute no for her). But if it is a “chapel talk” type thing, that is okay. She doesn’t want prayers or hymns, though. A school that doesn’t offer XC as a sport. A school that doesn’t have a theatre program or that wouldn’t allow her to do a production as well as be on the XC team (if the school only offers a production in the fall for example). Schools that are too big (a school like Exeter is too big).

If you know already that one of the schools to be researched has a “deal breaker”, please share so we don’t waste time!

1 Like

I think I am the only Millbrook parent on CC, I’d be happy to answer any questions. I can’t sing the school’s praises highly enough!

Although lower down than some schools, kids definitely can get to “top” colleges from there. (Top = T10 or T20).

Each student is seen and appreciated for who they are.

3 Likes

We’re not at all focused on this aspect. We figure if she follows her passions in high school, she will find the right college that wants her. Looking for a school that will encourage her to explore current interests and take on new ones to see where they go.