UPenn Class of 2027 Official Thread

Waitlisted
4.0 UW, 1540 SAT, 11 APs, 3 post-AP math courses
AIME + prestigious music ECs/awards
Strong LoRs, essays, no interview
Accepted: Princeton, Berkeley,Tufts, Boston College, UCSB (with Regents)
Waitlisted: Columbia, Barnard, Harvard, NYU, UCSD, UCI, BU, Wellesley
Rejected: USC, UCLA, Northeastern

2 Likes

Congratulations! No rhyme or reason to these acceptances-
son accepted USC Marshall, UCLA, UCSB, UNC, WF, Boston College
WL: UVA, ND, Wash U
Rejected: Cal & three Ivies

3 Likes

DS accepted into Wharton. :partying_face:

6 Likes

Accepted to School of Engineering and Applied Science. My intended major is computer science. GPA is 3.95. SAT 1570. OOS. I am extremely grateful and will commit to UPenn.

5 Likes

Son rejected from all ivies except Yale. So no complain, but he liked penn a lot.

accepted rd! wanted to share stats in case it could help anyone else!

african american female from pennsylvania
major: cognitive science
good public school, 3-4 students are accepted to penn each year
gpa: 4.0 unweighted, 4.371 weighted (ap classes are weighted as 4.5 instead of 5 at my school)
8 APs, 11 honors

act superscore: 33
(36 reading, 35 english, 31 math, 30 science)

ap scores
ap human geography- 5
ap gov and politics- 5
ap language & composition- 4
ap music theory- 4

extracurriculars
•chamber singers (advanced choir)- social activities coordinator & tenor section leader
•girl up- president
•leo club (volunteer club, 110 volunteer hours)- treasurer
•4 years of theater at school
•theater internship at school district’s middle school
•job- birthday party host and ride operator at a children’s adventure park
•songwriting
•volunteer sunday school teacher at church
•national french honor society

awards
•1st chair at pmea all-state choir
•national african american recognition scholar
•editor’s choice award from teen ink magazine
•ap scholar with honor

3 Likes

hey i will also major in cognitive science! what are your socials?

1 Like

Congratulations on your acceptance! Are you planning to continue your performing arts involvement at Penn? If so, be sure to check out Platt House when you get to campus. Platt House was established by the parents of Ben Platt (of Dear Evan Hansen fame) and is the hub for nearly 100 student-run performing arts groups.

1 Like

Oh wow, cool! D is a performing artist(and Penngineer)—will have her check it out

1 Like

i will message you privately!!

thank you so much, that sounds amazing!

1 Like

Hey, I was waitlisted. When do they expect is to send our letters of continued interest?

Have you checked your portal? There may be additional information and/or a link to submit a LOCI there.

I have seen it. Now preparing the LOCI.P

1 Like

I think the press release about admissions decisions highlights the applicant characteristics that were meaningful to the admissions committee. Compare and contrast Penn’s statements from the two most recent admissions cycles. Last year:

Nearly one-third of the admitted students engaged in academic research during their time in high school, many earning national and international accolades for research that is already pushing the boundaries of academic discovery. Admitted students worked alongside leading faculty and researchers in their fields of interest, co-authored publications included in leading journals, and displayed their ingenuity in making connections across complex and varied disciplines. Over 80% of the admitted students are living out this tradition by engaging in community service activities that have already made a significant impact locally, nationally, and globally.

and this year:

Our admitted students have demonstrated commitment in so many ways. They have been fine-tuning talents that go on display during a performance, leading clubs that support conversation around challenging topics, acting as student representatives in local government, working at their jobs, commuting long distances to school, fundraising for causes in which they find meaning, and supporting family members and managing household tasks.

For future applicants: there is so much angst about research (or lack thereof), but there are many meaningful ways to demonstrate commitment. This statement signals that AOs consider a myriad of activities as meaningful. So, don’t be afraid to let your authentic self shine in your application. Your light may be just what the admission committee seeks.

6 Likes

Less than a week after a pretty tough rejection, Penn Engineering sent a fundraising letter addressed to both me and my husband (both alum).

We love ya Penn, but read the room a little. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Same here - I follow Penn on linkedin (also an alum) and they posted about all the amazing kids admitted for this year (not mine!).

1 Like

Does anyone know if parents are getting emails from Penn? Our son is getting info, but so far no emails addressed to the parents. Thanks!

Penn doesn’t usually copy parents on administrative emails. If your kid isn’t very good about checking their email (like mine), you can really miss out on important info.

If you’re just curious about general campus news, then you can sign up for the Penn Today newsletter. There is one specifically curated for Penn parents.

ETA: Penn Parents is another fantastic resource for parents and families and provides information for first-year parents and tips on how to support your student.

2 Likes

No emails for us. D is receiving them.

1 Like