USC Class of 2027 — Regular & Early Action Decisions

Yes. She has been admitted to Canfield BHP

3 Likes

Yes, unfortunately it does automatically take him out of merit contention. But he can get Presidential (1/2 off tuition) if he ends up being a National Merit Finalist.

1 Like

Thanks

3 Likes

Artificial intelligence for business is a good major?

Son, NY, Deferred from Marshall. USC is his first choice by a long shot. He is really upset despite the crazy odds. The brain gets it but the heart doesn’t. Allowing one night for sulking :pensive:

2 Likes

Its a new. If interested in AI it makes sense. I always feel do these joint degrees do full justice to 2 majors, that are quite different. Look at the coursework required for this Viterbi + Marshall + Integrative classes and see if you find them to your satisfaction ?
“The USC Marshall School of Business is launching a new joint undergraduate degree, Artificial Intelligence for Business, in partnership with the USC Viterbi School of Engineering. The innovative degree brings together the expertise of two of the top business and engineering schools in the country to provide a unique learning experience for students matriculating in Fall 2023.”

1 Like

Thank you!

2 Likes

Deferred
Dornsife (PPE)
Colorado (Denver Area)
Strong ECs, 3.97 UW/4.6W (15+ APs), 1490 SAT

Son will fill out the form to stay in the process, but not surprised or super disappointed

no materials except mid years? worrying, mid years are pretty bad, grades are all good for me except a single really bad grade in ap chem (worst grade throughout hs, teacher is notorious for failing students who go on to get 5s with 70s and 80s in the class) and i was hoping to show more through extracurricular updates because I’ve had major things go on, but usc doesn’t want any of it :frowning: if deferred, how does decision even change? Will application be re-read by someone new, I regret ea-ing to USC because I didn’t know they’d defer everyone, and I would have taken more time to polish my essays and apply RD if I did

2 Likes

My son never received the email notifying him that he had a portal update. Is that something he should check into? Maybe they don’t have his email on file correctly? Obviously this doesn’t change the decision but we want his file to be in order.

If mid-years are really bad in even one course, they would have seen them RD anyway, so outcome would be the same even if you sent in other things. Frankly, at USC, it is hard to make up for anything bad, because tens of thousands apply without anything “really bad” or even bad for that matter. There are just too many that do everything really well, they don’t need to consider “bad.” (if you truly mean bad and not saying something like bad was an A-).

USC isn’t a school where you can pump it up at the nth hour. Polished essays still won’t make up for “really bad” anything (unless of course there is a very good reason/crisis/struggle; a tough teacher story never cuts it). There’s just too much competition these days. Have no regrets, it is what it is.

You still have a shot in March if you submit deferral form, and if not USC, you will find the right place for you, wait for it!

1 Like

I always thought the emails were hit and miss…I think that’s a common issue, but you should check since its of concern to you. Never ignore your gut! :slight_smile: The portal updates first, then the email (supposedly)…sometimes they come and many times they don’t. Not sure why.

2 Likes

Thanks, sound advice as always!! And so speedy!

2 Likes

anonhser9, I feel your frustration. USC EA is different than the conventional EA. Significantly lower than the RD acceptance rate and defer everyone to RD. I wish they had disclosed that at the beginning. But tomorrow is a new day and we all have other things to look forward to. Fight on.

2 Likes

I am getting the sense that people think applying EA and being deferred is now a disadvantage, and applying RD would have been better. Am I missing something? Is applying EA a disadvantage if not accepted - which BTW is 94% of those who applied. Is the feeling that they have already passed on your app and will now move on to RD apps?

1 Like

Does anyone know if Dramatic Arts audition call backs were sent out with decisions? Or is that altogether different notification process?

2 Likes

Excellent reference/advice. After reading this, my DD was set on sending a LOCI. But after getting deferred and reading their “please do not send LOCI” messages in 3 different parts of the portal process as she sent her deferral intent form, we’re now having doubts.

My personal take is the following, but I’m not in the admissions business. If there are math or admissions experts on this thread, please feel free to correct me.

If one applies EA, the acceptance rate in the EA Round is 2,400/40,600 ~=5.9%
If one applies RD, the acceptance rate would be 5,500/(40,400 RD applicants + 38,200 Deferred from EA) ~=7%

It looks like the RD acceptance rate is better than that in EA. But both rates are below the projected overall acceptance rate of (2,400+5,500)/(40,600+40,400) ~=9.8%. Is it reasonable?

I think the key is probably to look at an EA applicant’s chance of acceptance across both of the two stages - EA + RD. So the probability will be:
5.9% + (1-5.9%) (chance of being deferred)*7%(RD acceptance rate) = 12.5%

So the chance of getting in for an EA applicant is still higher than that for a RD applicant, actually by some good margin. Make sense?

Basically the EA applicants get “two shots” at the opportunity, while the RD applicants only get one.

3 Likes

What is the deferral form? Where is it?

1 Like

A bit late but here is my decision + stats

Deferred Neuroscience Major
4.3/3.81 UW, Test Optional, Majority AP/Honors Classes
CA, Public, ELC
USC Neuroscience Research Internship
Neuroscience Research at UC Irvine
Founder of school’s UNICEF CLUB + President of Science Club + NHS Secretary
500+ Volunteer Hours
Peer Tutor