USC Spring Admits 2022 -2023

Congrats Spring Admits! Opening up this thread so thoughts about spring admission could be centralized and shared. Some people are thrilled to get into USC anyway they can, and others are disappointed with the thought of missing that freshman move in and first fall at their 4 year U. Some will save money taking classes at a cc, others may work, travel, go abroad with a USC sister university or hang out. Some will say heck no and some will say heck yeah. No wrong answer!

They also have a spring term orientation, so you come in just like a new student and arenā€™t left to figure things out on your own. It seems many use Santa Monica CC and/or live close enough to USC so they can take part in fall football events/activities. Spring admits may purchase student section football passes. There are private owned complexes like Gateway that some live at which is right across the street. You get student housing when you start in spring, and they generally put spring admits together. Maybe you can make your first spring admits friends connecting here or on any other site that opens up about coming to USC in the spring.

Here are a couple links from USC and a couple CC threads. There are a couple amazing posts I will try to find and repost when I do as well:

https://admission.usc.edu/admitted-students/fall-opportunities-for-spring-admits/

https://admissionblog.usc.edu/5-questions-answered-about-spring-admission/

2 Likes

Great post from
romns116

Mar 2021

Parent of Spring 20 here. DS was in a similar situation, deciding between a full ride at UMich as a Shipman scholar vs USC SCA spring admit. He loved UM and could see himself being happy there after visiting multiple times (after EA).

When the spring admission email arrived he was overwhelmed with joy (SCA childhood dream school), but tempered his hopes because he knew FA was the determining factor as a Questbridge applicant. He chose USC SCA and is so glad he did.

Concerns/Realities of Spring Admission:

1. Heā€™ll miss out by not being on campus - He missed the entire football season, along with the experience of attending a game. That was a big deal for him. He did CC courses at a local CC (TX) and found the 15 weeks went by super fast. By mid Fall, your USC academic counselors are already talking to you about acclimating to campus life and verifying your courses will transfer. The academic counselors (USC and SCA) did a great job making him feel like a Trojan during the Fall by constant communication and availability for questions.
  2. Heā€™ll be behind in making friends/joining groups - No. he made friends and joined groups in Jan when he arrived. He wasnā€™t behind at all, socially or academically. He found out people didnā€™t even care (or ask) if he was a spring admit. There are so many students and your always meeting new people. He also joined FB/GroupMe groups in the Fall to connects with students in his freshman class (fall and spring admits).
  3. The Spring welcoming experience is not the same as Fall - True, but not as big of an issue as we thought. The Spring welcome week was a wonderful experience for our entire family. Spring convocation was meticulously planned, well thought out and looked like USC spent a lot of money making Spring Admits fee welcomed and part of the Trojan Family.
  4. Housing - While itā€™s true Spring admits get whatā€™s available, everyone accepted in Spring is still guaranteed on campus housing (you just may not get your first choice). DS got Parkside with another SCA spring admit. Quieter dorm than the others, but it was perfect for him.

We told DS to consider Spring admission a $35k grant, because that how much heā€™ll save by taking GE classes locally.

Again, once youā€™re on campus nobody cares or even asks about Spring admission. Youā€™re part of the Trojan family and weā€™re hand-picked among tens of thousands because they thought youā€™d thrive at USC. Congratulations and FightOn!

So if someone is interested in Greek life, how big of an obstacle is being a spring admit?

From the Greek site:
Students interested in joining a fraternity or sorority must have completed a minimum of 12 academic units at USC and earn a minimum USC grade point average of 2.50. A second message from Dr. Carry clarified transfer students are eligible after completing one academic year of college coursework, post high school graduation.

I would guess they could have something in between answer for spring admits, I would contact the general email for them and ask.

2 Likes

My daughter was admitted for the Spring. I think she was a little disappointed at first but sheā€™s getting excited about potential study abroad Fall semester. She also got into UCB but really likes USC for the communications program

1 Like

Last night I was admitted to SCA for the BFA in Film and TV Production for Spring '23! I am wondering what the best fall options would be for me based on my major and the fact that I am from Wisconsin. Getting to LA and being around campus in the fall is the ideal scenario if possible so if anyone has any insight on what might be a good option? Also, I am wondering if it will be the same BFA program that the fall admits will be going through or if it changes at all for me as a spring admit?

Any insight helps :slight_smile: Fight On!

1 Like

Congrats, you are part of a very small club in that major!

A lot of students transferring in or doing spring admit consider Santa Monica Community College as it has clear articulation agreements with USC. So you can knock out some GEs or pre-reqs. You can even live in housing close to USC and do the drive (traffic, but some do) to SMCC. University Gateway (known as Gateway) is a housing complex that offers by the month and is literally 30 steps from campus (across the street). If it was any closer it would be on campus. Itā€™s all students, USC grabs chunks when they need more housing than they planned for. You pay more for a month when lease is a shorter term, but if you want to be in the USC buzz and can afford it, that is a great option. You will be saving thousands on tuition going to a CC for a semester, so maybe you can put it toward housing and a beater car. :slight_smile: Oh Gateway has a secure garage as well (cost added to rent per month).

Of course you donā€™t have to take classes and could work during this time as well - not sure how hard it is to get a gig at one of the many food places/typical college type jobs around there. Or if independently wealthy (and there are plenty of those at USC) just hang out, whatever fits you. Spring admits get access to football passes and other events. You have a great attitude going in and are sure to do well - congrats and fight on! :v:

I was admitted for Spring 2023 for Business Administration for Marshall School of Business. I know my local CC has a ln articulation agreement with USC, and that Marshall has a fantastic rep, especially with academics and alumni network. However, i got no merit aid and am unlikely to recieve much, if any, financial aid.
Is spring admit still worth the hassle and uncertainty? Any advice you have, iā€™d really appreciate.
Fight on!

As a Spring 2023 admit who is considering studying abroad during the Fall 2022, does anyone know which program is historically the most popular for USC students? AUP in Paris looks to be because there are a lot of Trojan Transfers there, but wanting to meet and be with the most USC freshman students before Spring on-campus arrival.

Congratulations!
Just want to share some of our experience for your reference. My son was admitted for Spring 2022. He didnā€™t go abroad for the fall semester due to the COVID situation last year. He went to our local CC which didnā€™t have an articulation agreement with USC. It was a little messy in the beginning to figure out what classes were transferrable, but it worked out OK. He took some classes in the summer and fall to cover most GE requirements. Itā€™s indeed stressful when he saw his friends left for colleges in the fall. The semesters at the CC were not very exciting either. When he eventually arrived at USC in January, he fell in love with the school immediately. In the last two months, he has made a few good friends there and been doing really well academically. He is so happy there, we even have hard time to convince him to take a guaranteed transfer to another great school this fall :slight_smile:
By taking this option, he was able to save at least $35k in the first semester, and he has a scholarship of half tuition for the rest of the time at USC. He got admitted to other schools as good as USC for the fall enrollment, but without any aid. He felt itā€™s worth the wait.
You donā€™t need to rush for a decision. Take some time to review all the options, list all the Pros and Cons, sleep on it, and come back to it later.
Wish you the best of luck!

2 Likes

DS22 has spring admit offer from USC Dornsife. If one is to opt for semester abroad through USCā€™s affiliate universities in other countries, is it a competitive application & selection process ? or is it more of a matching process based on student profile/interest? Can one express interest before the May 1 decision day or only after paying the deposit ? Please let me know if you have any info!

Anyone know if spring admits get acceptance packages/when they might be coming?

Do you know if USC spring admits are counted in their CDS, especially as it pertains to yield?

I am still getting emails from FAST saying more documents are required, but when I go to my FAST portal under required documents it says, ā€œNo action required, Waiting for 2020 parent tax transcript.ā€ Is there really no action required or is there something I should do?

My son is weighing USC Spring along with a Fall option and is having a tough time deciding. Questions that linger are primarily around the social aspect. Can someone describe how easy (or difficult) it is for boys in particular to make their way into the social scene. Seems like being off campus, unable to join greek life, etc. could make this difficult. In addition, how difficult is it for spring admits to find roommates (weā€™re thinking Gateway if he choses USC).
Thank you for any insights!

One more question. If a Spring Admit moves into Gateway and takes classes at Santa Monica Community College, will those classes be online for Fall 2022. My son doesnā€™t have a car and would probably not want the hassle of going back and forth. Might mean an alternative plan in the Fall. Any help appreciated, thank you!

1 Like

My daughter is a spring admits to viterbi. She will take classes on community college in summer and fall to try to get rid of some general education classes. If he doesnā€™t have a car, he can try to register to some general education classes which is mostly online classes. He can register in more than one community college. My first daughter is a senior now( pre med) she was also a spring admits and she was able to join the dorm in spring. He can also find a roommate through Instagram page for spring admits students

https://instagram.com/uscspringadmits?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I had to dig up this post because it was in the main thread of C/O 2021 rather than a spring admit thread. It is by one of our super helpful USC posters @romns116

romns116

Mar 2021

Parent of Spring 20 here. DS was in a similar situation, deciding between a full ride at UMich as a Shipman scholar vs USC SCA spring admit. He loved UM and could see himself being happy there after visiting multiple times (after EA).

When the spring admission email arrived he was overwhelmed with joy (SCA childhood dream school), but tempered his hopes because he knew FA was the determining factor as a Questbridge applicant. He chose USC SCA and is so glad he did.

Concerns/Realities of Spring Admission:

1. Heā€™ll miss out by not being on campus - He missed the entire football season, along with the experience of attending a game. That was a big deal for him. He did CC courses at a local CC (TX) and found the 15 weeks went by super fast. By mid Fall, your USC academic counselors are already talking to you about acclimating to campus life and verifying your courses will transfer. The academic counselors (USC and SCA) did a great job making him feel like a Trojan during the Fall by constant communication and availability for questions.
  2. Heā€™ll be behind in making friends/joining groups - No. he made friends and joined groups in Jan when he arrived. He wasnā€™t behind at all, socially or academically. He found out people didnā€™t even care (or ask) if he was a spring admit. There are so many students and your always meeting new people. He also joined FB/GroupMe groups in the Fall to connects with students in his freshman class (fall and spring admits).
  3. The Spring welcoming experience is not the same as Fall - True, but not as big of an issue as we thought. The Spring welcome week was a wonderful experience for our entire family. Spring convocation was meticulously planned, well thought out and looked like USC spent a lot of money making Spring Admits fee welcomed and part of the Trojan Family.
  4. Housing - While itā€™s true Spring admits get whatā€™s available, everyone accepted in Spring is still guaranteed on campus housing (you just may not get your first choice). DS got Parkside with another SCA spring admit. Quieter dorm than the others, but it was perfect for him.

We told DS to consider Spring admission a $35k grant, because that how much heā€™ll save by taking GE classes locally.

Again, once youā€™re on campus nobody cares or even asks about Spring admission. Youā€™re part of the Trojan family and weā€™re hand-picked among tens of thousands because they thought youā€™d thrive at USC. Congratulations and FightOn!

Call SMCC or check onlilne for fall schedule though Iā€™m not sure itā€™s out yet. There are plenty of online classes. Gateway a great choice as they have shorter leases and charge by the bed, plus itā€™s as close to ā€œon campusā€ one can be without being on campus.

Hello Trojan Family of 22/23! Congratulations!

Thanks @CADREAMIN for recalling the old post. Itā€™s nice to hear from you again dear friend. USC parents are the best!

Iā€™m typing this as S19 is home for a short Easter break, but still busy communicating with his 480 crew (he landed the producer role!).

Everything from the post above is still true. If thereā€™s one thing we learned about the difference between being a Spring admit vs a Fall admit, itā€™s this: there literally is no difference. He didnā€™t have to take extra courses, heā€™s still on schedule to graduate next year, heā€™s made a ton of great friends (he joined a club called Christian Challenge, excellent people!), heā€™s made the Deanā€™s List every semester, so he hasnā€™t missed out on anything as a Spring admit.

Seriously, nobody cares or asks if youā€™re a SA. Youā€™re meeting new people all the time. After the Spring convocation, you never hear about being a Spring admit again. If anyone is still on the fence on whether they should accept the offer for Spring, Iā€™d say taking the $40k ā€˜scholarshipā€™ to be a lifetime Trojan is a no brainer. Fight On new Trojans!

2 Likes