UT Austin chance me! (Essay and short answer included :) (should I delete my essay?)

Demographics

• US citizen*
  • State/Location of residency: Texas
  • Type of high school (current college for transfers): Suburban public high school about 650 seniors
  • Gender/Race/Ethnicity (optional): Asian
  • Other special factors (first generation to college, legacy, athlete, etc.): lived most of my life in South Korea, moved to the US in 8th grade

Intended Major(s) psychology bs

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 3.625/4 (3.1 freshman, 3.8 sophomore, 4.0 junior)
  • Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): 4.718/5
  • College GPA (for transfers):
  • Class Rank: 203/654
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 1440 (800 math, 640 english)

Coursework
(AP/IB/Dual Enrollment classes, AP/IB scores for high school; also include level of math and foreign language reached and any unusual academic electives; for transfers, describe your college courses and preparation for your intended major(s)) No ap score, all high level math courses taken, except calc BC (I took AB), 4 Korean/foreign language credits but probably doesn’t matter, ap art history, ap human geography, ap art portfolio, ap psychology, ap English 3, ap English 4, ap statistics, ap calculus ab (total 8)

Awards president’s volunteer service award, 4 more awards related to volunteer service (2 local and 2 national) but not recognizable ones

Extracurriculars
(Include leadership, summer activities, competitions, volunteering, and work experience) 2 clubs (national art honor society and save the earth club/ members/ since sophomore), 307 volunteer hours at Austin Korean school (assistant teacher of kids thought age 3-9, teach Korean to non native speakers)

*(Optionally, guess how strong these are and include any other relevant

Short answers:

letter of rec from my art teacher (known since freshman, sponsor of 2 clubs I attend, said that his recent drawing was unexpected, he’s unique, he was shy at first but opened up and contributed to clubs well), avid, psych ap teacher

Cost Constraints / Budget
(High school students: please get a budget from your parents and use the Net Price Calculators on the web sites of colleges of interest.) although I might get into debt, it is totally fine because I’m in state, my parents are somewhat supporting me

Schools
(List of colleges by your initial chance estimate; designate if applying ED/EA/RD; if a scholarship is necessary for affordability, indicate that you are aiming for a scholarship and use the scholarship chance to estimate it into the appropriate group below)

• Safety (certain admission and affordability): none
  • Likely (would be possible, but very unlikely or surprising, for it not to admit or be affordable): UT Dallas (RD)(accepted)(asked to apply for Terry scholars but didn’t do it because got accepted to a&m before the deadline)
  • Match: Texas a&m (RD)(accepted), psychology major was full so they put me in general university so I changed it to stat :face_exhaling:
  • Reach: UT Austin (EA)
1 Like

You should delete your essays.

1 Like

ok, I agree

Again, we are not AOs so don’t feedback with a grain of salt.

I see one # and assume you won’t get in. As you know, auto admission is for the top 6% - and you are at 31%. 87% of their admits are in the top 10% and 96% are in the top quarter.

So I’m going to say no - but there’s tons of other great schools out there - in-state Texas schools and otherwise.

Apply - because you never know - and you need reach, target, and safety schools.

This would be in the reach .

Good luck.

1 Like

yeah I was worried about my rank and gpa. I already applied for priority and wanted (kinda) objective judgment from others so that I can prepare mentally when I get my decision ::face_exhaling:

I agree admission is very unlikely.

1 Like

Why are you worried. Sounds like you applied to three and based on skipping UT-D Honors, you’ve already decided on A&M.

You’re getting a degree in psychology. Where you go matters little. as long as you’ll be happy there.

And A&M is a wonderful school.

1 Like

but I have to major in stat instead of psych at a&m for a year, and I don’t like statistics

do you think I will at least able to get cap…?

What’s CAP?

Let me ask you this - where can you go that you can study psych? It’s not too late to apply -lots of Texans go OOS for reasonable - UNM, OU, Ms State, Alabama, Arizona, etc.

Why would you go somewhere that you can’t study what you want to study? You’ll need a stats class - so it’s likely ok - but you should see what it takes to transfer internally?

You should not have let UTD Honors pass by - but you can still go there.

You might look at other schools. Are you full pay or have need - if need can look private.

Anyway, I’d look into changing majors at A&M and psych specifically to see how difficult it is.

1 Like

yeah my parents want me to transfer to cali because they are moving there this year. but heard transferring to uc college is difficult :confused:

cap: Coordinated Admission Program | Undergraduate Admissions | The University of Texas at Austin

I dunno - you’d have to ask.

But A&M or UT D are great schools - why look to transfer. It’s better, if it’s a fit, to go somwhere four years. You establish relationships, etc. It’s not easy starting again. You go in later and everyone knows everyone and you know no one.

If you transfer to CA, yes it’s hard but there are also CSU schools and UC Merced (not hard) but you will pay OOS tuition.

You are all over the place.

Find a good home, go there and excel.

2 Likes

No, I was saying that my parents want me to live in California and work part time job for a year to get an in state tuition.

So you don’t know about CAP program ? Anyway, thanks for your advice :blush:

Post your question about CAP, and how easy it might be to transfer to psych on this thread: Texas A&M University Class of 2026 - #2743 by 52AG82

@gumbymom @ucbalumnus Can you help OP understand their transfer options and/or getting in-state status when their parents move California? Note OP will graduate from a Texas HS.

It’s ok. I will figure things out with my parents instead. I don’t think I need more help :slight_smile:

Anyway, thanks for your advices guys!

To be eligible for in-state CA tuition, you and your family need to live in CA for 366 days prior to the residency determination.

When are your parents moving? You can transfer into a UC or CSU prior to your parents moving, however as pointed out above, you will pay OOS costs until you meet the residency requirement. Also OOS transfer applicants get the lowest priority in the transfer process.

Another option would be to attend a CA Community college which has a proven pathway and then transfer to a UC or CSU which would be less expensive as an OOS student for the 1st year. UC’s and CSU’s only take Junior level transfers with rare exceptions so expect to attend 2 years at a CC.

https://www.ucop.edu/residency/residency-requirements.html

1 Like

@user230 I am shocked you’ve already gotten A&M acceptance, with your rank; guess the SAT helped greatly. Why would you even list Stats as a 2nd choice major, if you don’t enjoy Stats?
Shame you didn’t follow thru with UTD, great school. Highly doubtful you’ll get scholarship $$ at A&M, if you’re needing that.
Getting in-state tuition won’t be easy (or fast) in California.
UT CAP is pretty limiting in major choices, isn’t it?
I would not start at one school, in hopes of transferring somewhere else.
You need to decide:
What degree do you want to pursue?
What school do you want to attend?

1 Like