UT Austin class of 2026 admissions

CAP, applied to Moody, 1530 SAT, top 8.5%, in state non-auto. All his friends received CAP as well. I think they are all declining since they are CS majors. One is going to A&M and one was accepted to Northeastern.

1 Like

thatā€™s true, but im probably just going to decline either way b/c I wanna do Nursing and am not sure I can get in through the CAP program

Understood. Iā€™ve heard that it is THE hardest major to get into at UT.
Thank you for going into Nursing!

1 Like

We also feel the same after our DS got into UT engineering as OOS. Seeing so many with much better stats and ECs getting rejected here, we are convinced his essays made the difference for him. It is impossible to predict chances nowadays when it comes to these top schools. Hope everyone applied to a good mix of targets and reach - good luck!

DS is in UT for ME right now. Iā€™ll actually disagree with the reply aboveā€“if your daughter truly wants to do ME, and she has other good options, consider them. Do try an appeal to switch before the fall, my DS knows one friend that managed to do it, but itā€™s far from guaranteed.

Internal transferring is also difficult depending on semester. For perspective, this semester, many students with 4.0s were rejected from both ME/ECE, there was a whole Reddit thread about it, and my DS personally knows many of them. Granted, it is easier depending on the semester/number of open seats, and many kids do manage to transfer, but the uncertainty is definitely something to consider. Kids do change their minds a lot in college, but UT makes it a bit difficult for engineering, honestly.

Furthermore, while physics, gen ed, and (some) math ovelap, ME/ECE actually donā€™t share basically any ā€˜engineeringā€™ courses. Many schools require both ME/ECE to take Circuits/Statics, for example, but UT doesnā€™t, so there is less overlap than most universities. Not a huge deal, though, since the rest transfers.

She can definitely try, just some things to consider. Also know that ECE is also very broad at UTā€“Iā€™d argue just as much as ME. It offers Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering (look up the tech core packets, so many options), as well as things like Data Science and Software Engineering in one departmentā€“meaning no transfer is required between these subjects.

He got into Georgia Tech today for Electrical Engineering! So it has been a crazy few hours but his confidence is back up as now he knows it was UT and its crazy admission staff and and not him! It is nice to know there are schools who value the work and sacrifice these kids put in for 4 years.

10 Likes

Was your student who was accepted to Moody RTF and won Gold Key accepted to other Early Action or Priority schools for film?

I also have a film student, but we did not apply early to many film programs.

A senior in my sonā€™s high school last year was at an orientation for another college when he received notice that he got admitted to his first choice major at UT (mysteriously). Talk about an awkward departure from the orientation. :joy:

This was after being soft rejected into COLA.

The current holistic approach is fine but the school does have to put butts in seats in the classroom.

My daughter applied EA/Priority to many schools. She was accepted to DePaul, Kansas, and Columbia College Chicago with substantial scholarships. Also, accepted without merit/scholarships to Belmont, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Texas State, University of Arizona. Denied at Chapman. Not admitted to Film at Florida State but asked to apply as a digital arts major (decisions come out 2/15). Deferred at Emerson, Fordham, and Loyola Marymount University (decisions pending March/April).

I agree! And he definitely spent time on those essays! I guess he didnā€™t BS enough. :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Also, accepted to LSU film program. Merit pending.

1 Like

Iā€™m a 2X LSU grad and grew up in Baton Rouge. Neither of my kids wanted to apply there, but they still cheer for LSU football. It holds a place in my heart. I even got married at the Lod Cook Alumni Center on campus. It is an underrated school that gets a bad rep as a party school.

Not sure why LSU is underrated.The LSU film program is now a competitive, separate application with portfolio. Much opportunity for film production in Baton Rouge/New Orleans. Many of the film students are working on Disney productions. Itā€™s an exciting time for LSU and the growing film program!

1 Like

I mean the school overall is underrated. I went there for Chemical Engineering and an MBA. It is a wonderful school and one canā€™t go wrong by going there.

1 Like

DS MyStatus has been giving him an error all day when he tries to login. Not sure what is up with that.

1 Like

Happened to me too. I changed my password and it worked again so I could log in.

1 Like

Brutal UT Austin decisions for OOS (California). Denied- learned a few hours ago. My DS knew it was his long shot hail mary. He is 4.1 weighted Finance/Business strong resume, rigor, leadership. But was is shocking that two of his buddies with remarkable GPAs 4.7. and 4.4 and strong resumes, rigor, were also denied. A female friend of his also an outstanding student did get in, she applied to dozens of schools with no intention going to UT. Wasted spot.

Same with our Son. He has his major but waiting on Plan-2. He has stellar everything. One of the top institutes in Boston has with <6% acceptance rate has offered him University Honors with ~150K scholarship. So kids who have put hard work definitely find a place that value them. All the best to everyone waiting.

2 Likes

Your daughterā€™s list is unsurprisingly a lot like my own daughterā€™s list. The number of top programs in film production is pretty small.

My daughter applied to three schools with EA or Priority deadlines:

Emerson (accepted Honors College)
U of Texas at Austin (accepted RTF)
Chapman (waitlist)

She did not apply to LMU. She must wait until March to know the rest.

We think the Chapman result maybe not a great sign for the other schools higher on the list, but she is relieved to have two excellent options for film production.

I guess plan 2 will come out on Monday or Tuesday for those who havenā€™t heard yet. I know from this forum that some were notified in November and December. Itā€™s such a long shot! My daughter remains hopeful but knows the odds.