UT Austin class of 2026 admissions

Psychology

1 Like

Hi, my son got admitted to UT Austin BME (OOS). While we are waiting for few more decisions we are seriously considering UT. Hoping to connect with other future and current Longhorns! I read in some of the Reddit posts that while BME is a strong program at UT, the course rigor is especially hard. Plus it is EE and ME focused and less focused on the ā€˜biology/biomaterials/computation.
Also I heard internships are hard to come by for BME at Austin.
With near zero chance of switching out of BME at UT, we are looking for any insights. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Congrats to your son! My OOS son got accepted to BME in 2011. He did research in the lab as a freshman. One class was incredibly hard. UT is working on a program to develop more engineering internships. My dad, a retired professor, is involved with the initiative. If a student is persistent and develops good relationships with the faculty, internships and lab research will happen. Students arenā€™t spoon fed, though.

(My son was stuck with schizophrenia, lightning out of the blue, towards the end of his freshman year, so he had to drop out.)

3 Likes

They also look for passion for the major they applying for

1 Like

Hi, thank you very much for sharing this. Congrats to your son, hope he is doing well where he is today. It is impressive he was able to do reseach in his first year. I think the hard class is an ECE/EE based- class I believe - i read in some other posts. Texas in itself does not have a big medical /pharma industry but here in east coast there are plenty of companies. So yes, if the student is persistent they can make it happen. Thanks again!

Yes, that sounds like the class. What made it even harder was that back in 2011, the BME students hadnā€™t had a prerequisite class that the EE kids had taken! It was brutal. My son was used to breezing through all his classes, but it just wasnā€™t fair to expect the BME kids to handle the class. After getting a lot of complaints, they changed the requirements, supposedly. That experience obviously didnā€™t cause my sonā€™s mental illness, but I sometimes wonder if he could have kept going to UT if it hadnā€™t happened.

My son is stable and happy, but he will probably never hold a job. Itā€™s a heartbreaking illness. Appreciate your healthy kids!

Advice on CAPS - Should I just call UT admissions to answer this? My son will have 52 approved credits to transfer in @ 4.0. He was hoping to double major and be done min 2-3 years. Pro to accepting in? He just started applying to back up schools since his TAMU is still pending. COL History

Franknd, thank you for sharing this. My son was offered CAP by UT but was accepted to Mays, so that is where he is going to end up. A&M has made him feel wanted, and Iā€™m glad to hear this worked out for others before him. Congrats to you son for doing so well!

2 Likes

I get the end game, but the journey is just as important and being on a campus and on your own for four straight years and the experiences and relationships that are created are fantastic ā€¦.at least from my perspectiveā€¦.

5 Likes

CAP students form their own groups at the different schools, all with the mission of transferring to Austin. I have a friend whose daughter is in Arlington right now.

PACE students do very much the same activities as a student living on campus proper.

I would call Admissions. Sounds like there wouldnā€™t be much, if any, core classes for him to take at a CAP school.

Exactly what I was thinkingā€¦

Will there be a wave today for all the people who still havenā€™t heard? Plan 2 and etc.?

Just got into Plan II! Still waiting on BHP.

6 Likes

Congratulations. Did you receive Plan II notification just now ? Was that email or portal update?

No email. Checked portal at 3:45 MST

1 Like

May God be always with your family and your wonderful son :heart: :pray: Thank you for the insightful info. I am reading they are continuously improving the BME curriculum (hopefully for the better!) as it is a relatively newer program. Visiting Austin soon - we are excited!

So it just shows up under Honors tab or also on main screen?

Congrats! My daughter just got in too!!

2 Likes

Honors tab!