UT Austin class of 2026 admissions

Does anyone know if there is a chance you can transfer from liberal arts to computer science and how to transfer? Thanks!

Are the final decisions of both CSB and Turing going to be released by tomorrow?

I would recommend speaking with an AO or someone in the CS department that has authority over the process. I have heard a range from zero chance to transfer into CS all the way to 1/3 chance. Both scenarios assume 4.0 on college work till transfer and other holistic qualities that show interest in CS. There is a lot of varying information on CS transfers and it is best to get a clear answer from the school.

1 Like

It’s almost impossible at UT Austin. My son also got Liberal Arts as an auto admit. He will get full scholarship as a NMF at UTD, he has 16K chancellor award from UMass Amherst. Ivy decisions are yet to come. So, better go somewhere where you can study CS and then you can try to transfer if you are a big fan of UT.

5 Likes

My kid also got a $16k scholarship at UMass. Got into UT but UMass I hear is an up and coming program that is getting a lot of funding and interest. Agree that one should study CS where there is an opportunity unless being a Longhorn is viewed as most important by the student.

1 Like

In UT, that’s almost impossible. First semester in Freshmen CS already have lots of programming. CS classes are restricted for other majors to enroll.

It is best to aim for the school that grants you the major.

2 Likes

UTD CS2 honor is as prestigious and UT Turing. Select 30 out of 700 UTD CS Freshmen. All UTD CS2 students get job offer before graduation.

So if your student get UTD CS2 but Liberal Arts or regular CS in UT, UTD CS2 is a better choice.

2 Likes

He got default admit to Collegium V Honors program but CS2 needs to be invited. We are waiting for the invitation for this.

That’s great, I will send my kid to any Ivy for CS if he gets into. So, waiting for the Ivy day :slight_smile: He applied to UCLA and UC Berkeley but they are too costly to attend. He is 100% sure to study CS wherever he gets.

1 Like

what is CS2 comparing to regular CS?

Does anyone know what time decisions are out tmw? (McCombs, International)

Indeed. We are also waiting on Ivy day and MIT, Caltech, etc.

If you click the link on CS2 I showed earlier you will know.

Regular CS refer to UT Austin regular CS.

1 Like

can i appeal for a 2nd major if my first appeal doesn’t work? if so, how?

Since everyone got the admission or honor, today is just the rejection day or any chance for the admission or honor?

Between now and May there will be a few more honors. Some may decline UT for better OOS or Ivies.

1 Like

you mean even someone got rejected now can have an offer if someone else rejected later one?

For Honors, yes. March to end of April are times when a lot of very top students declining UT offer. Because Honors seats are very small, UT won’t overcommit like regular admissions based on yield.

1 Like

@FriscoDad Other than the obvious UCs which OOS Publics would you consider better than UT?

If you meant undergraduate degrees, that’s not much difference. Data shows STEM students graduated from UT, UM, Purdue, UIUC, UMass, TAMU and all UC if graduating top 10% average starting salaries are the same. (not paying too much attention on public ranking at times are more biased including factors like diversity, sports, events, and of course geographically favored East/West Coast, in real business world, all we care is the applicants’ knowledge and capabilities and how they survive the introductory period)

If you are referring to graduate public school (MS/PhD), I will say UT and even TAMU are far better than UC due to much better budget and spending. UM will be next in line. UC systems have relatively low budget in research due to state deficit and counts heavily on donations. Even though UC systems spends more combined ($41B) most went to salaries and taxes (69%) and only 15% went to updating facilities and equipment. In general, from hiring data in the last decade, we found most graduates in Texas research colleges (UT and TAMU) more knowledgeable in latest technology largely due to access of new tools and equipment.

12 Likes