UT Austin class of 2026 admissions

My niece graduated from UT CS this past May. She did a minor in business but I don’t believe it was CSB. I will ask her.

We are definitely learning the art of patience and have had to apply to more colleges than planned due to such a late response from UT. Hang in there.

1 Like

How many in here would still consider UT CS if you did not get any honors?

2 Likes

We unfortunately devoted time to extra applications and would still love to stay at UT if given the chance. S wants to be close to home. Other applications are generally reaches with a few targets.

1 Like

California decisions are much later than Texas answers. I am surprised so many California kiddos don’t apply other places and do wait for late March decisions from California schools. I also think that some kiddos choose OOS schools before their California decisions, and therefore those schools lose some quality students. California schools do not prioritize California students like other states do. The UT decision is not too far off. February 1. Good luck to all the hopeful Longhorns.

1 Like

Well California have a lot more great universities for top students. Consider the population from 90s to nowadays, California grew from 30M to 37M, but Texas grew from 17M to 30M. While Texas only have UT, TAMU and a very small Rice as top choices for top students.

13 Likes

As a California resident, CA college graduate, and mom of a daughter who just graduated from a much desired CA college, YES we do have many amazing, competitive universities. BUT it is worth noting that many of these kids are still not fully back to the classroom, if at all (and omicron is taking us back). In our area (Sacramento County) we have only been OUT of masks for 2.5 months since mask mandates went into effect at the beginning of Covid 2 years ago. Our youngest who is a Senior has not been out of a mask since the beginning of Covid. She is a cheerleader and she will be lucky to step foot inside the gym to cheer let alone watch a basketball game….which she hasn’t experienced since her sophomore year. With that said no university in CA (in my opinion) is worth the sacrifices our kids are making to attend them, especially when they see kids in other states not living life like this. Why would you want to attend a school where there is a strong chance that you may not set foot in the classroom regardless of the fact that you have followed all protocols regarding shots + boosters? And if you do you will 100% be in a mask…anywhere you go on campus. And possibly anywhere you go in the town of which you attend school. Hence the reason our Senior has applied to more out of state than in state, as have many of her friends. It is a shame but CA (regardless of your politics) is a tough call for kiddos who are hoping for and have earned the right to a fabulous college experience.

9 Likes

I definitely would. It’s still a very good school for CS even without turing

3 Likes

I’m definitely considering a major in CS with a minor in business no matter where I go, if u don’t mind me asking, what did your niece think of that path at UT?

1 Like

College is very different from high school. High schools have substitute teachers, and there is no one really check if a teacher finish teaching everything needed for the school year. My older one in UT had an organic chemistry class this past Fall semester, when the professor out sick for three weeks 19 students had to drop the class as UT has no substitute instructor.

5 Likes

We are in WA and our son has made the same decision to apply strictly OOS despite that UW is one of the top CS schools in the nation. We know that life as we know it will not be the same in this state any time soon and his college experience is much too important. However, he still applied to some CA schools despite my protests. Hopefully UT comes through and we won’t have to cross that bridge!

4 Likes

She loved that path. She was able to tailor the business courses to fit her need. She was trying to gauge what type of MBA program would be best for her in the future, and having had some undergrad business classes at McCombs is a huge help. UT’s concern is always delays in obtaining a degree. They want their students in and out in 4 years. As long as you can manage course load, it is definitely a good path and a viable alternative to CSB. I don’t know if a minor in business is even advertised, so it may require speaking with advisors at CNS and McCombs. My S will likely do the same if CSB is off the table.

1 Like

We actually applied at UW knowing it is a massive reach due to their OOS acceptance being lower than most Ivies. I don’t believe life will be normal for some time and hats off to these students that are having to apply to colleges learn in this new world. I am sure it will all work out for you and your S. This process is difficult and flawed but people generally wind up where they are meant to be and where they are happy.

2 Likes

Hi, we are OOS and my daughter was accepted to SDSU. Are the kids taking in-person classes, or are they all virtual? Is there chatter for next fall yet or is that still early to know? I wish masks would be optional but they are very used to them from high school, but I am more concerned about in-person classes, in-person activities… thanks for your information

Maybe I am confused, but it sounds like you are asking these questions about SDSU. There is a forum for SDSU, and also a way to send private messages to ask. Can we keep this forum focused on UT?

1 Like

good to know, thank you! Based on what admissions posted on Instagram earlier today, I get the feeling we may not hear back this week. They seem to be very behind on all fronts.

1 Like

Neither UTaustintx nor UTaustin_admissions has posted anything on instagram since sometime in December… :thinking: is there another UT account?

@/bealonghorn is the one that I’ve been told is the official account, they posted a bunch of FAQ videos today on their story and they mentioned “admissions is continuing to wrap up their application review” I actually haven’t looked at the other accounts u mentioned.

4 Likes

I believe the admissions office reviewing regular applications at this point. Most of the priority decisions need to come out in the next 2 weeks or UT needs to push out the 2/1 decision date.

This is only pure speculation on my part so to be taken with a grain of salt. I get the sense they aren’t behind. Even last year with a large influx of applications they had no trouble easily meeting the 2/1 deadline with the first “COVID” admission cycle. There is likely more to the story and it may be a waiting game to see who drops out due to ED commitments due on Jan 14th for many schools.

Good luck to all the prospective UT Longhorns. The wait isn’t much longer. February 1 is approaching, quickly. My kiddo is looking forward to UT decision day.

3 Likes