UT Austin class of 2026 admissions

When you say COLA, do you mean as a general/undeclared major in COLA? Sorry for your son, he sounds like a stellar applicant.

Sorry to hear.

You got this decision just now on the portal? Are you OOS?

Curious, what major did you get?

So sorry. That is just not right.

3 Likes

Very sorry to hear about McCombs but isn’t Economics part of COLA?

It is but they just stated they couldn’t offer him 1st or 2nd choice and out him in general liberal arts

Yes, general/undeclared major in COLA

In state, auto admit top 2%

Rejected Mechanical Engineering In-state, auto admit, 1470, 34, Top 4%

I’m suspecting your son applied elsewhere and will explore other options. No matter what he will wind up where he’s happy. We approached this process as if there are no givens. Admissions are strange and random.

2 Likes

He did apply to other colleges of course. There is no guarantee. He received the Brown scholarship from A&M last week (full ride $100K plus other perks) but his heart was set on UT.

6 Likes

I am sorry for your son. It hurts to see our kids get upset like this, but congrats to him on that scholarship!!!

2 Likes

Thank you. He wanted to be with his older brother who is at UT on a full Cockrell engineering scholarship. At least there won’t be competitive fights between the brothers about who received more $$ :rofl:

1 Like

Go to A&M and don’t look back. UT isn’t the only good school. I’m a Computer Science graduate from Texas A&M and it was a great move for me!

8 Likes

You’ll have fun with the house divided theme! I know many parents that get a good kick out of that. Congrats on the scholarship! At least if he attends A&M he would be in a school that really wants him.

3 Likes

The voice of Tex Admissions just spoke:

Update #5, Friday, January 21, 2022: Uncharacteristically, UT has rejected some auto admits of their first choice major. Some auto admits have received their second choice major. Auto admits not given their first or second major were offered whatever they chose on the final page of Apply Texas like Liberal Arts or Education. This is the first time I can recall UT rejecting students prior to the main wave that comes at the end of January. A few others have gained admission to their first-choice major, but this is not a big decision release it seems. I have my eye on Friday, January 28 as the big decision dump since, historically in most cycles, the main admit/reject wave comes on the final Friday of January.

3 Likes

What and who is the source for that? Thanks

https://texadmissions.com/blog/2019/10/25/when-might-i-receive-my-major-decision-does-ut-have-rolling-admissions-for-fall-2020-freshman

This guy used to work for UT admissions and is now an independent counselor. He has more inside knowledge; though somewhat dated, than anyone else.

Ohhh that guy. Not official. Thanks

No. You’ll never hear anything “official” lol!