UT Austin class of 2026 admissions

@ForU - Ditto what wndrwmn said. We were told at an admissions meeting to submit the housing application asap after we submitted the college application if we wanted on-campus housing because UT does not have enough housing for freshman. They said if we wait until admission is received before applying for housing, your student may not have a spot. Definitely a money maker for UT if you think about the number of families that are paying for a housing deposit before knowing if their child will even be admitted to the university.

So if you want to ensure your child has a dorm room on campus, you may want to go ahead and pay the deposit.

1 Like

Congrats and good luck on securing his major too! UT is new to me and is different from some other colleges in terms of housing application timing - others either do not open until Jan/Feb or offer only to admitted students. Anyway, I will check it out soon. Thank you for the suggestion.

Thatā€™s what I was wondering. Last yearā€™s acceptance rate was 32%, so there is 68% I might lose the housing deposit on top of admission application fee. :sweat: But thank you for the insights.

If you take out the auto-admit, and those admitted but not offered their major as soft decline, the effective admission rate is far lower than 32%.

Good to know. Very competitive.

If I Recall Correctly (IIRC)

1 Like

I tried accessing the Housing application but kept getting an error (Stale page). Do we need to first ā€œAcceptā€ before accessing the Housing application? My daughter is an Auto Admit and based on the comments above, I would like to get her housing application in line (as there is a huge chance she will go to UT)

You do not have to accept an offer of admission before applying for housing. I sometimes get the ā€œstaleā€ message if Iā€™ve used the back button on my browser, or bookmarked a UT page. Try clicking the housing application link here to directly access the portal - Applying for Housing | Undergraduate Admissions | The University of Texas at Austin

If itā€™s still not working, contact the Housing Office & they should be able to help - Contact Us | University Housing and Dining

Has anyone heard from UT on major acceptance? I thought the automatic admits were getting acceptance into the university and major decisions will follow. Thanks!

Nothing here. Auto Admit in August. I think I read that maybe around Thanksgiving is first wave of major acceptances.

2 Likes

In 2019, my son didnā€™t get his major until mid January (he was an auto admit and applied in September.) He ultimately got his major (aerospace engr) and all his friends who had engineering as a first choice heard at that same time. He did have auto admit friends not get their major (all CS hopefuls) and they got their notice about that same time.

Not sure how it will work this year, but thatā€™s been our only experience. Iā€™m hoping my S22 hears earlier (heā€™s hoping for first year business in McCombs.)

2 Likes

I was able to get in today and pay the $50 fee.
Thanks for the info.

1 Like

Anyone got Canfield interview experience?

Will the first wave of major acceptance start in Nov 3rd week? I saw a post some where that it might start 3rd week in Nov based on last few years.

Based on the ā€œwavesā€ of acceptance posted on here the past 2 years, Nov 19 would be the first one! Crossing my fingers!

My S19 applied to School of Architecture. It isnā€™t many info about this school. Somebody apply to Architecture too?

UTā€™s architecture school is top notch. My son considered architecture but decided on ME instead. One of the guys in his frat (BYX) is architecture and he loves it.

I know, School of Architecture is one of the best. Do they send acceptance in mid January or before?

Good wishes! Waiting is so hard! :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

My AA daughter got her major (BS- Psych) today!!!:metal:

9 Likes