UT Austin class of 2026 admissions

Is your son accepted to McCombs already?

yes, i am aware of several

1 Like

Non ranking texas schools are required to let the kids know if they fall into those percentiles for admission to Ut and A&M. but the kids are told they are not allowed to report their rank to any other schools.

I thought they did gave to report rank of the top 10% even if they are non-ranking. I am talking about public and private high schools.

1 Like

Described here

https://texadmissions.com/blog/nonranking-high-schools-ut-austin?format=amp

1 Like

The blog post is from 2018. Many well-known, academically excellent, private Texas HS refuses to rank or send rank letters to anyone. There is no state law that forces private schools to rank, and counselors believe that ranking does not serve the students well as their students get into top state and out-of-state schools without it. Ranking can create an unhealthy level of competition where parents and students ā€œgameā€ the system from day one and take courses for the sole purpose of achieving rank.

4 Likes

Thisā˜šŸ¼
In my school many ranked above me took AP classes that had no relevance to their majors in college and did early release or office aides to avoid a grade instead of having to take a non-AP but relevant classes.

Does anyone know when decisions will be released for priority?

It seems like theyā€™re just trying not to upset the parents who have paid a ton of money for these schools by having a class rank work against the student. If the admissions officers know how great the schools are once I also know that a ranking in the second quartile is worth more than the first quartile at a lesser school. It just seems like gamesmanship.

I am not debating the merits of ranking or not ranking. I am speaking from experience as a parent of a student at a non ranking private texas high school. The students in the top 6 were allowed to report it to UT and top 10 to A&M. They then sent a ranking confirmation to the schools. This was solely for the purposes of auto admits at those two schools. There is no ranking provided to any student for any other school. The kids still do not officially know (outside of Val and Sal) their official actual rank, just that they received auto admit. I would ASSUME that other non ranking private high schools function the same way as to not deny auto admissions to their top ranking students.

1 Like

It seems like what these private schools are asking is just trust us itā€™s a good student because our school is good ā€¦.weā€™re not gonna report the class rank and by the way they donā€™t have to send in their test scores now but because the parent could afford to send them here they should be viewed as better than some student from a small town public school.

Also to other Texas publics because A&M all other Texas publics have auto-admit for top 10%.

People who take office aide classes or drop sports to improve their GPA are probably the ones who also retake Calculus I after taking MV Calc in HS.

My kids go to a non-ranking Texas private school. It doesnā€™t report percentages for any student. There are no auto admits to UT or AM. But, every school submits a class profile that gives the colleges some information to sort the applicants from that school. Plus, they can compare them against one another. The colleges have a pretty good idea what a gpa from that school means, especially if dozens of kids apply every year from that school. And, I donā€™t know if my kids school is any indication, but almost every one I know of submitted test scores.

4 Likes

Good to know! Kind of a bummer to not get the autos. But I believe youā€™re right that they have a good idea where kids fall.

1 Like

Yes, two weeks ago.

1 Like

Honestly, itā€™s all some type of gamesmanship to get the highest number of kids into top state and out-of-state programs, whether a school ranks or not. There is no perfect or best method. Everyone is doing the best they can when dealing with the competitive hoops that kids have to jump through just to apply to college. Donā€™t get me started on the anxiety-inducing crapshoot and tea leaf reading that constitutes American college admissions. Each parent has to consider what best serves their childā€™s academic goals and mental health. In reading this post, I see nothing but loving and engaged parents as well as bright and hardworking students. I wish your family and every UT applicant the best possible outcome in the admissions process.
Hook 'Em!

11 Likes

I agree with @austinmomlv.
I have two kids at private high schools in Texas, both say that they do not rank. One child received an official letter that arrived at my house informing my child that by law all schools must notify those who were top 6% and 10% and the formal letter told my child which of those categories they fell into. My kid told their friends, one of whom thought they were top 6% or 10% and met with their counselor and was again told that the school does not rank. My other child never received a letter. The school says they do not rank when I talk to them, but my second child knows that some friends received letters, similar to what happened with my first child and their friends. I think all schools say that they do not rank. But privately they do send the official notification to those who achieve it. This is just my experience though.

4 Likes

Not all priority decisions have come out. Usually, they have 2-3 waves of decisions.

The law only requires Public School or Charter School. Private schools are not required.
Some private schools do so (not ranking) to help students to get more holistic review. At times it backfires for college like UT as no applicant has the chance of being auto-admit.

Few well known private high schools they donā€™t need to do much and colleges know even average students are strong. Other private high schools the counselors do possess grade distribution report (GDR) upon request for college to guage studentsā€™ approximate rank. For some not so well known private high schools, and college receive no GDR or useful information from counselors, colleges have database relying on previous years accepted student performance. Review will be heavily on other application materials (test scores, affirmative action, essays, awards, ECsā€¦) and likely receive admission at the last wave.

2 Likes

I think thatā€™s probably correct. And it makes sense that they would not do those large lecture classes in-person. No one wants to be packed into a lecture hall with 300+ people right now.