UT Austin class of 2026 admissions

If they follow past history and there is a wave on Friday, can we expect the majority of OOS students to find out that day as well?

Unfortunately do to a transcript error (not showing rank!) and a mistake on the school counselor’s part, my son did not get into the priority pool. But it’s been my understanding from past years, that most students who will gain acceptance will hear in the final big wave before the priority deadline if they are going to be accepted no matter if they applied priority or regular. Just wondering if anyone has any info on this? If we don’t hear on Friday, is he likely rejected?

Reading tea leaves again! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Going by what I read in Tex Admissions blog (source can be somewhat off target from time to time), the past trend has been to inform everyone OOS and non auto of acceptance by the equivalent of this coming Friday. This is regardless of when they applied. The exceptions are architecture and some fine arts that need more time. Also international students are sometimes pushed to March 1. This year has been strange with only small waves, so I’m not sure exactly what that means for this week.

Edit- Also if OOS doesn’t get response by the equivalent of this Friday it often means the equivalent of rejection on Feb 1 according to same source above.

1 Like

My daughter is a non auto and goes to a private school that doesn’t rank, says decisions will be out this Friday per college counselor. Good luck everyone!!

2 Likes

I hope so! My daughter is also non-auto private school and UT is her #1 choice so really hoping we hear something. The wait is so hard on these kids, she actually started entertaining CAP this weekend which was an absolute no previously!

Yes, was looking at last year’s forum and basically all OOS acceptances (RD and priority) were released at around 4 pm PST on the last Friday of the month.

1 Like

Yes I remember when I was in high school many moons ago, it wasn’t this competitive. My daughter applied to the Liberal Arts Honors Program as a Government major. UT is also her top choice, hope she won’t get capped!

2 Likes

You will receive a decision for a priority application BY February 1st. This decision could be admittance, deferment, or denial.

If you are OOS…I have not seen UT OOS decisions (as of yet) except for for a rare one or two.

This feed is a big rollercoaster. I think it would be much better for the mental health (of kiddos applying) for there to be (separate) set dates for the release of Auto, Non-Auto, and OOS decisions so that they are able to stay on a transparent timeline, but honor each of those processes. I also think is would be okay to have (separate) set dates for the release of specific majors or schools. It is nice that many schools have a set release date for all.

I wish all of you who are waiting a peaceful week, and a favorable decision. I would say to turn away from all of this until February 1st. If your decision email comes before then, kudos; if your decision does not come until then, you won’t have spent every second worrying over a decision that is not in your hands. YOU are all more than what is on your application!

16 Likes

Thank you for this lovely thoughtful reply. Luckily for me, my son is very calm about the whole process. I am secretly watching and waiting. :slight_smile: He has more patience with the process than I do. It just wasn’t like this when I went to college back in the day!

Thanks for your wise words!

7 Likes

I think one of the other things that has changed is the expectation for immediate gratification and information. Couple that with much more information available on how things have worked in the past and you’re bound to have people frustrated because their expectation is not matching the reality of the situation. Plus Many parents have shielded their kids from any sort of failure and the nervousness about not getting in is magnified for the parents.

2 Likes

While we were waiting recently, I was more on top of possible decision dates than my son. He wasn’t so worked up about it. His view was that he did all he could do and it makes no sense to worry. It seems I could learn a thing or two from him!

9 Likes

Fingers crossed for both our daughters! If my daughter gets in, she would be the 7th member of our family to attend UT so that’s so much pressure for her - and yes, it seems much harder now to get accepted than it did when my husband and I went!!

4 Likes

hello, i am a non-auto RTF applicant who is VERY anxious about this upcoming wave. would anyone be willing to do a private chance me?

For people like my son who did not get their first choice of natural sciences nor business, does he have an option to apply for honors into his third choice? He only got into his third choice which was communications. Or is he SOL? When he applied for natural sciences, he applied for the honors program. There was no honors option for any other program. If he can’t do honors, then I don’t think UT is in play for him anymore at all.

A lot of my family attended UT and my dad was a UT professor for 52 years and head of the Men’s Athletic Council for many years. But out of the next generation, only one kid got accepted, my OOS son. He was studying biomedical engineering when he got schizophrenia as a freshman. He had to drop out at the beginning of his sophomore year. So none of our next generation, even among second cousins, graduated from UT, even though they were bright kids. My niece just finished her time as a Fulbright Scholar in Uruguay.

So if you (or your kids) aren’t accepted to UT, they will still be fine.

14 Likes

Great advice!
Hope your son is doing well!

2 Likes

Hope your son is okay.

1 Like

Oh thank you! Yes he is doing well. He lives in a small apartment building and has a roommate. There is staff upstairs 24/7 when he needs to take meds or get help. He can’t work but he stays busy reading and playing guitar. It’s not the life we expected for him, but he’s happy. He will be 30 in July.

8 Likes

I assume he knows what he’s talking about since he used to be an admissions officer, but if what he writes is literally true, then UT Admissions isn’t very bright when it comes to non-AA applicants.

He writes:

UT only considers your class rank. They do not look at your GPA whether it is weighted or unweighted. They also do not consider . . . the number of advanced courses taken. . . .

Your derived ranking along with your single best ACT/SAT testing date will compute your Academic Index. [The Academic Index is half of the admissions review equation.]

So if this is literally true, then for non-AA, UT does not consider the rigor of the school? How does that possibly make the slightest bit of sense? And all the moreso under a test-optional system?

1 Like

Great question. I am sure that person still have a lot of information not sharing to the public if he continues his success in servicing applicants.

What he wrote was the boiler plate answer if one asked. Note that because of the law, no single official UT staff will tell you that outside the rank they will consider the rigor or courses because that will simply cause a whole lot of legal issues.

So outside the scope of that law (non-Auto), the assumption that admission does not look at course strength is not necessary true. UT can use any formula even down to different majors and can change over time even outside his previous work experience.

I feel like it does actually make sense. Academic Index, as he puts it, is likely automatically calculated through quantifiable metrics: ACT, SAT, Class Rank. Course rigor or high school competitiveness is not so easily measured. GPA scales vary greatly from school to school, but Class Rank, although very imperfect, is probably the best available metric of “how you did given the resources of your environment compared to your peers.”

I’m no AO, but I presume they could also look at one’s transcript for courses and HS competitiveness during the actual personal index review part of the application, wherein the essays, letters of rec, resumes, course rigor, HS environment, etc. now all weigh in.

2 Likes