UT Austin class of 2026 admissions

Thanks. Obviously a really tough law if you are the “best college in the state.” And the major designation is an easy “out” for the school which is clearly not in the spirit of the law.

2 Likes

Totally agree. I understand the reason for the law, but there have been some unintended consequences that are problematic. The intense focus on class rank has some students dropping out of sports or fine arts they love so that their GPA isn’t harmed by an unweighted class. I’m also not a fan of how difficult it is to change majors at UT.

6 Likes

I forgot to mention OOS

1 Like

We went through the process last year and I was curious about the numbers as well. After reading several websites and watching a video that UT released at the end of January 2021, I got this: by law 90% of the admitted students must be Texans and 10% out of state. From the 90% for Texans, 75% should be auto admit and 25% non auto. The profile for the class 2025 says: from 66077 applications, 18994 (including PACE) were admitted, and 9060 enrolled with 88.7% being Texans, 8.8 non Texans and 2.5% international (close enough to 90%-10%). On the other hand, the video mentions 66100 applications, with 41100 from Texas (11300 auto admit and 29800 non auto). The video is “UT Austin Admission Decisions” if you’re want to watch it.

3 Likes

DS22 is a US citizen studying outside the US. Will he be considered international or OOS? His portal says “non-resident”

Most schools will classify this as international based on the address.

Thanks! I guess that means we have to wait another month for decisions. I read somewhere that international decisions for UT come in at the end of Feb.

someone who works at admissions at ut, and is a senior student at ut, is saying that ut will release rejections/cap/acceptances starting tomorrow (Friday). idk if I should believe this person but the person sounded genuine. this is depressing

1 Like

So will there be more acceptances or not?

My DS22 got an acceptance mail from UT, Austin just today. He is a domestic applicant studying abroad like your son.

4 Likes

Congratulations!! And that means we can expect to hear in the next couple of days.

Top 6% at ANY high school, even private schools
No guarantee of major, so they can get “soft reject” from majors since an EE isn’t going to want COLA

1 Like

Auto admit simply guarantees at least a soft rejection. Nothing more.

2 Likes

Why do you say this is depressing?

1 Like

Just curious if anyone OOS has been accepted into the school of Architecture? DS has not heard anything but a fellow student at his high school did get accepted as a Math major (not sure what school that would be).

any word on acceptances today?

I have only seen an Architectural Engineering (School of Engineering) response, earlier. I don’t recall for certain that is was OOS, but I believe it was.

I tagged a CORRECTION, below.

Does UT defer?

1 Like

does anyone know if moody has come out?

1 Like

@Nervousfloridamom I was incorrect. It was an OOS Architecture acceptance, not an Architectural Engineering acceptance. I’m sure more will be rolling out.