UT Austin class of 2026 admissions

@hockeymom987, congrats! My daughter will be at Jackson as well!

1 Like

My daughter (OOS) was accepted to Communication Studies-Poly Sci last night. I think this program falls under Moody. Hang in there!

3 Likes

Is there a time frame for that? Will they send an email?

They will send email letting you know portal has been updated. Some people went into their portal prior and found out then got the email later.

Well the AUTO system clearly seems broken. But you guys know that.

Assuming they are trying to reward instate talent and keep the best students near home - they ABSOLUTELY need an ED process for the truly best and brightest in this group. For them to use yield management to protect themselves from the hypothetical decision of an 1600 valedictorian 18 year old kid in a state mandated system is ludicrous.

3 Likes

@KrisA. It took 2-3 days for them to add me.

Is it rolling or do the decisions all come out on one date?

Changing majors is very difficult at UT and Cornell. A&M is much easier as well as Vanderbilt.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the state of Texas is losing its best and brightest to the East Coast and West Coast. We don’t have enough top, top ranked schools in the state of Texas to compete. University of Texas and Rice are pretty much the only top 50 schools in the state. That’s insane. You think these kids will come back to the state? I’m not so sure. UT should be doing everything in its power to grab the top, top kids, offer them incentives, and keep them home. Just my 2cents. Not all parents can afford $80,000 per year at an Ivy.

11 Likes

The situation with my son is similar. Yesterday he was informed that is not accepted in his first choice major - Aerospace and he is accepted to his second choice major Neuroscience. He is int the top 2% in his highschool and his SAT is 1480. His essays were all about Aerospace. I am not sure why he did not get accepted. It could be that he applied two days before the regular decision deadline. He is pretty disappointed at the moment. Did anyone get accepted to Aerospace? If so, congrats. Would be willing to share any info - did you apply early decision?

Wow! Sorry to read that. Well, he can always go to technical university of Munich and get an aerospace bachelors completely in English for about $1000 a year. Top International University. Options, options! :grinning:

1 Like

Ok…a lot of emotion here. Rice, Texas and A&M are all top 50 school by almost any ranking you want to look at. But how important is rank versus fit for the student. Narrow down your choices to great fit schools and decide. The right fit usually equates to graduating from that college.
Trinity, Texas Tech, UT Dallas, and several other Texas schools are great. If you kiddo got in Harvard would it be a great fit? For the majority of kids the answer would be no but several people out there would want to go even though it would be a terrible fit.

7 Likes

In US News, A&M and SMU are tied at #68.

what is your major? It’s all about the major.

2 Likes

I love my great state of Texas and all its schools. However, the sad reality is that ranking talks. The competition to get into top MBA, med schools, and law schools is harder than ever!! The kids who are truly competitive are going to do everything in their power to be somewhere in the top 50 because many plan to pursue graduate degrees at big named schools.

Acceptances have been rolling out for a few months now. I don’t know UT’s final decision deadline but based on other comments here it sounds as if a “wave” of acceptances may come tonight. My daughter submitted everything by early deadline and received her acceptance last night. Moody College of Communication.

2 Likes

My daughter received her acceptance last night. Hang in there!

3 Likes

Hi, are you in-state?

sorry

I really wanted my son to apply to UT Dallas and TAMU as well, but he was set on UT because of the energy he felt when he visited. I was saddened by him limiting his Texas options to just UT but for him, it wasn’t just about the ranking. It was about the “feel” of the campus. Hopefully he this works out for him!

2 Likes