UTK vs UA

I am a high school senior in TN, and I am in the process of choosing which college I am going to go to. I have applied to UTK and UA (and some other schools, but they aren’t really where I want to go). My parents want me to stay in state, but I really want to go out of state. I haven’t finished the scholarship applications for both schools, but right now, with just the scholarships that I am guaranteed because of my GPA and ACT scores, the total cost is about the same. I will probably receive more, but that is not as big of an issue at this moment.

I live fairly close to the UTK campus, and both of my siblings graduated from there, so I am fairly familiar with the campus and the community I know next to nothing about the UA campus or community and would appreciate any insight into this that anyone can provide.

My parents are, for the most part, providing for my college financially, so in order for me to convince them to allow me to go out of state, I need to be able to convince them that Alabama is just as good as, if not better, than UT.

I am going into Engineering, and probably an Honors program. I want to be involved in programs and groups outside of the school, but there is nothing I am looking for in particular.

If there is any insight or advice you could give to help me decide between the two schools, I would be so appreciative. Thanks in advance.

Have you visited? What are your stats?

A common comment about the two schools…

UTenn…not attractive

Bama…beautiful.

They’re both state flagships so they’re going to be similar academic wise in many ways.

UA’s campus is flat. UTK’s campus is hilly.
UA has HUGE fraternity and sorority houses. UTK is just now getting sorority houses.
Both are big big schools.
Both have Strips with restaurants and bars right next to campus.
UA is 4 hours from the beach. UTK is an hour or so from the mountains.
Why not make a visit?

Between the two schools, you can find some differences in what undergraduate engineering programs are offered.

Both offer, Aerospace, Chemical, Civil, computer engineering (at UA, it’s an “option” under electrical), computer sciences, Electrical, Mechanical and Metallurgical/Materials sciences.

UA offers:
Architectural, Construction and Environmental (all three are fairly new programs that fall in the Civil, Construction and Environmental engineering department).

UTK offers:
Biomedical, Biosystems (and Agricultural), Industrial and Nuclear.

VISIT, with 1 or both parents… as soon as you can (but I know sometimes that’s easier said than done)! Be sure to get in touch with the Honors College and ask them to set up a visit day for you. Be sure to get a tour of the new, state of the art engineering facilities, maybe have lunch with an engineering student, meet with a professor or two, maybe even sit in on a class. And be sure to go on the regular campus tour! The Honors College can get it all set up. UA is a quite a place… hope you can visit soon! Good luck!

I have visited the UTK campus several times for various school functions, and I have had a couple official and unofficial school tours. I have not yet been able to find a time to visit Alabama. My high school only allows seniors two days the entire year to visit colleges, so I am trying to find a date where Alabama is offering something more than just a campus visit. For instance, just this past week I went to UT for a day-long event where they had many speakers focused on informing upper-level students about various honors programs and housing arrangements and other various elements of college life.

If anyone is aware of such a thing at Alabama or of a way to look for similar events, and could help point me in the right direction, that would be amazing.

I’m not super invested in football or being in a sorority, so that is not as big of an issue. What is my main concern is the academics themselves and how the schools compare. I would hate for my desire to go out of state to make me miss out on a more valid degree.

I have a 34 composite, 35 superscore, I’m in the top decile of my class, pretty much all honors and AP classes, so I feel I am ready for some rigorous classes (I hope).

As far as my plans for college, I’m considering computer engineering now, but that could easily change to another engineering major.

Oh, I meant to include my GPA, which is 3.9630 unweighted and 4.3889 weighted.

Have you considered applying for the Computer Based Honors Program? It is very competitive but your stats are in the ballpark. http://honors.ua.edu/computer-based-honors-program/ :slight_smile:

I think you’re overthinking this. Both schools are state flagships. I don’t think either is considered more “prestigious” than the other. As far as rigor, engineering is hard. Everywhere. I doubt either school is appreciably more challenging than the other.

Why not apply to both and visit UA when you can? We didn’t visit until spring break of my son’s senior year, two weeks before we finally got the chance to visit Penn State (our flagship, which actually IS ranked significantly higher than UA). In the end, they both had much to offer, and I let my son choose. I’m sure if the costs are comparable and you can explain to your parents why you feel UA is a better fit (IF that actually turns out to be the case, and your intended major will likely influence your decision either way), they will be reasonable.

DO set up your visit through the Honors College as others have recommended. You want to be comparing like to like as much as possible. And good luck!

If you have not already, contact the Alabama recruiter for Middle/East Tennessee. She lives in Nashville, but also travels frequently to East Tennessee to visit high schools, be part of college fairs, etc… You can search for her contact info on the Alabama website. She set up my daughter’s visit during her junior year. It was personalized and made my daughter feel truly wanted and recruited by the university. We had the general campus tour, but also so much more. We met with a professor in the civil engineering department, since my daughter was interested in environmental engineering. We had a presentation by the Honors College, which blew other honors college programs we’d seen OUT OF THE WATER! My daughter is also interested in international relations, and they arranged for us to have lunch with the president of the International Relations Club at UA.

We too live very close to UT Knoxville. It’s a good school. However, we found almost everything from clubs my daughter was interested in, to her intended major, to dorms, to the campus life to be a better fit for her at Alabama. She’s a freshman there now and absolutely loves it. And she is going there for LESS than what we would’ve paid for her to go to UT. Try to work a visit with your parents. I wouldn’t recommend going on a day that is crowded and aimed at recruiting. Get the personalize tour. My daughter is finding that the same feeling of being wanted when she was first touring campus is consistent with what she is experiencing as a student of UA. Best wishes as you determine which university is the best fit for you.

Love UA and you’d be fine there most likely, but my cousin graduated from UTK in Computer Engineering and has a great job (actually it’s his 2nd amazing job) in Texas.

For some reason I think UT’s computer engineering is strong (?).

My other cousin goes to TN Tech for Chem E. He is a strong student, too.

^^sidenote- both these cousins grew up die-hard Gator fans in Tennessee LOL

You really have to see Bama to “get” Bama. Make sure you arrange through the honors college. Spend some time there and marinate in it all. It’s a beautiful place. I don’t think there’s necessarily a right or wrong answer.

ETA: Make sure you’re comfortable with the greek life at both schools (or not being greek).

You commented about a day for seniors to tour as a group:
http://universitydays.ua.edu/ It looks like the events for the fall are already full.

Capstone Scholar Day is January 14, 2017 http://scholarships.ua.edu/csd/

Are there any other days that your school is out that you may be able to visit - the week of Thanksgiving, Veteran’s Day, etc.? UA really has a beautiful campus that you cannot appreciate without a visit. We went over my son’s spring break and met with the Honors College and Engineering College - had lunch with a student amabassador and toured the dorms. Great day! Good luck!

There are always students (and ambassadors) willing to meet with prospects during breaks and give impromptu tours. Calling the department(s) you are interested can yield some contacts.