UW Madison College of Letters & Science Scholarships - Average scholarship amount?

I am currently filling out UW Madison’s L&S Scholarship application, which is supposed to qualify me for 21 scholarships. I heard UW Madison doesn’t offer much in terms of merit-based scholarships, how true is this? I am not eligible for need-based scholarships. Is this L&S Scholarship thing worth filling out for someone like me?

Are you a Wisconsin resident?

What is your GPA/ACT?

Do you have special qualities or characteristics that help you stand out?

There are about 70 scholarships with about 60 of those that are only for Wisconsin residents and likely 1500 incoming freshmen apply. Typical awardees have at least 30 ACT and close to 4.0 unweighted GPA along with things like research experience, high community service involvement, diversity of background, high financial need, etc. Amounts range from $500 to $8000 but more are in the $500-$1500 range for one year.

It’s true that merit scholarships are almost nonexistent.

I am a Wisconsin resident with ~3.75 gpa and 32 ACT.

https://scholarships.wisc.edu/Scholarships/appDetails;jsessionid=56BFC89FFF8CE47DD8CCEAABD5B2E162?appDefId=1002

Perhaps you fit with what one or more donors are looking for in a recipient.

What is your intended major?

Unlike me, son did not need any aid so we never encouraged him to apply for anything (eg choosing UW when a NM semifinalist). If your parents can easily handle expenses it is nice to let scholarships go to others. There is no “put it on your resume” advantage. If any extra money will help- go for it. Most scholarship money given by departments will go to a top student taking courses in it- eg the top student in general/freshman level calculus/chemistry… This is awarded after freshman year. Even top students are unlikely to get any money.

@5amwe5t this was posted on the UW Fall 2017 thread:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/12/18/university-wisconsin-ups-its-merit-aid-effort-better-compete-peers

Ok so given that…I started to fill out the information and then got into the detail and every one of them says need based even thought I was asking about Merit. I plan on calling tomorrow. It’s alot of stuff to fill out for an Engineering student by February 1st deadline. I would like a bit of help OOS isn’t cheap.

There is a reason so many college students go to their instate flagship- they can’t afford to be OOS.