UW-Madison Freshmen applications up 12% from last year

<p>Now that the February 1st deadline has passed, how many incoming freshmen applications did UW receive for the 5,700 available spots?</p>

<p>Posted by: Curious Parent
February 17, 2011</p>

<p>Our freshman applications are up 12% from last year – about 28,500 applications.</p>

<p>Posted by: Jenny
February 17, 2011</p>

<p>Wisconsin</a> Blogs - Office of Admissions at the University of Wisconsin-Madison</p>

<p>Nice increase with a short and mostly new staff. Maybe next year 30,000.</p>

<p>Pretty good chance admission rate falls below 50% this year.</p>

<p>And no common app right? Pretty incredible.</p>

<p>If they get out from under the System they could go to the common app.</p>

<p>WHY would they want to use that app? Nothing wrong with using its own app. Just because a bunch of private schools wanted to make it easier for students to apply to multiple schools doesn’t mean UW needs to conform. There is NO reason to want a huge number of applicants that can’t be accepted. Make it so students need to go to that extra effort- most applicants are residents and won’t need to do the common app anyhow.</p>

<p>I have to agree… Having their own application really separates the kids that actually are serious from the “i’ll just apply so I can say I got in” kids, if you know what I mean.</p>

<ol>
<li>CApp will increase awareness and get kids interested who don’t have UW on their radar to start</li>
<li>100 more good students=100 fewer dolts. Major plus</li>
<li>You can’t be an island. Many kids from OOS that UW NEEDS are using the CApp. No point in making marketing harder.</li>
<li>Residents can do the regular app as now. No harm there whatsoever.</li>
</ol>

<p>Barrons, in my personal opinion, I think the common app wouldn’t attract as many outstanding students as you think… Outstanding students would put enough effort into the regular app Madison currently has.</p>

<p>^Almost no doubt in my mind that merging with the common app would increase the number of good students that use UW as a safety–mainly OOS.</p>

<p>Whether that’s good or bad is a different story…It’ll probably push out some of the borderline in-state students (i.e. the “dolts”) who have high interest, lower yield, but potentially improve academic strength of our student body.</p>

<p>From an admissions standpoint, a lower yield from people using UW as safety would make it very hard to accept the “right” number of students and probably force us to use waitlist even more (a la WUSTL)</p>

<p>I would agree with Barrons. Disclaimer: My S is in state. And he will most likely to be a Badger in the Fall.</p>

<p>I do want to see more competition from OOS or OOC (Out of Country). If UW-Madison wants expand its reputation as World-class university, it should market itself as such and recruit students statewide, national-wide and worldwide. </p>

<p>Why common application? Looking at how much have been piled on the high schooler’s plate, you would find it is easier for them to just fill out one form (with some modifications with different schools) and you are done. Please note: A lot of students who are using Common Applications are also the ones who are applying to other top-ranked schools in the nation. While fishing for good students, why not setting at the spot where most big fishes are at?</p>

<p>Yes, using Common Application will lower acceptance rate and add more burden to the admissions process. In addition, it will lower the chances for lower ranked in state student. All these are necessary “evil” or by-product of being a more competitive university.</p>

<p>Just my two cents. On-Wisconsin!</p>

<p>Yes, in a perfect world with infinite time and energy good students would complete an application to each school they want to consider. That world existed about 30 years ago when 5 apps was at the very high end. Now 10 apps seems to be within the common range for high achievers. As 90% of each app is about the same data going to the Common App just makes sense and saves time for the students and their overworked GC and teachers.</p>

<p>Important consideration- how would this affect instate students? They are the most important applicants. Will increased applications make it more difficult for admissions and therefore affect the students whose mission it is to educate? Bragging rights to a lower admission rate is NOT necessary. A problem with the ease of application is the ridiculously high number of applications students do. Less thought given to where to apply- postponing decisions until spring. This then postpones decisions for students who end up on wait lists.</p>

<p>If students really belong at UW, they are capable of filling out the current application.</p>

<p>As long as the ratio is only 25% OOS it would not impact instate at all. It might get tougher for OOS which is fine as recently there has been some complaining that it is easier to get in from OOS than instate. It should be the reverse. However every UW budget person knows that OOS is very important to making the budget work. Without OOS you have fewer of everything from profs to new books in the library. Actually OOS are in a sense the most important to attract as instate will always be there but OOS means competition from 100’s of other schools and UW needs to get their share of the better ones with ability to pay. That’s just reality. If the common app helps with that it’s a good thing. Every app generates some income that can go to more reviewers just like the regular apps. The school sets the fee.</p>

<p><a href=“https://www.commonapp.org/CommonApp/MemberRequirements.aspx[/url]”>https://www.commonapp.org/CommonApp/MemberRequirements.aspx&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Michigan just went to the Common App this year. Does anyone know what their application numbers have been?</p>

<p>It does occur to me that using the Common App in lieu of the UW System form might be the kind of “flexibility” the chancellor is seeking.</p>

<p>My daughter is from out of state and will be attending Madison this fall. She only applied to 2 schools. My take is that the common app is a way for kids to apply to way more schools than they need to, hence driving up application numbers at these schools. There are so many kids applying to 10+ schools. Yes, the application process is stressful for all involved, but it also makes the kids search deeper to why they feel the school is for them and how to ‘market’ themselves beyond just their stats. </p>

<p>If Madison is trying to reach out to more out of state kids, they could use their award winning web presence to expose the school to more of these kids. College fairs are a good way to market but my daughter didn’t attend a single one - she used the web to do the research prior to visiting any where.</p>

<p>I belive they (UM) went up over 5,000 apps.</p>

<p>Why spending extra $$ for marketing and travel, when you can just join the Common Application process? It is the best ROI for the purpose. UW Madison is quite famous outside of WI already. There are serveral potential objections/obstacles for the student to apply:

1. Weather: Winter is too long. Summer is great. (there is nothing anyone can do about it)
  2. Student has too much to do during Sr year.</p>

<p>College Fairs are pretty costly. If you use university people there is travel, time away, registration fees for the fair, and materials. It can easily run several $1000 per fair outside of Wisconsin. Using the Common App and the mails for materials is far cheaper per new app generated I believe…</p>