UW Madison or UIUC

<p>I found out that I got postponed for Madison in February. On March 15th, I received an email saying that I was admitted. The admissions letter said that I was admitted through CAE. So basically there are conditions for me to go to UW-Madison. I fell in love with UW's campus. I don't know if it's even worth it because I'll be paying OOS tuition for a school that has certain requirements. On the other hand, I was admitted to UIUC with the president's scholarship. The school is more affordable because I'm from Illinois. UIUC is a good school, but there's not much to the school's campus. Also, a lot of people from my senior class will be attending and I kind of wanted to get away that. What are your opinions?</p>

<p>There are a lot of factors, such as what can you afford, how much $$ in loans will you need, will your anticipated career pay enough to repay loans, etc. </p>

<p>UIUC and Wisc are about equal on academics, so it boils down to are the extra benefits of going to Wisc to you such as you like the campus more and you want to get away from the high school people worth the extra cost. If money means nothing to your family, clearly yes, if money means something, tougher call.</p>

<p>My d is in your situation almost exactly, and there is a 3rd school besides UIUC and Wisc that she loves which also requires more $$. For us, we are leaning UIUC, but it is tough. Generally, I have read that your loans at most should not exceed you first year salary, and preferrably not more than 30k. I kind of think of it in terms of a new car. If your loans total about the price of a typical new car (not a Mercedes, but your average new car), the loan will probably be manageable. More than that becomes more difficult.</p>

<p>We estimated the price diff between UIUC and Wisc to be about 17k/yr or 68k for 4 years. As UIUC freezes tuition for all 4 years, the difference likely will exceed 70k for the 4 years. If you will have to pay that difference in loans, beware, as that is a huge loan. And if you go to grad school it will keep accumulating interest, and that 70k becomes more like 90k. Repayment would be about $1,ooo per month for 10 years. Life does not end after college…it is just beginning, and think of what you could do with an extra $1,000 per month pure cash for 10 years after graduation. It may be worth it to you, and loans can get extended, but the payments would be for more years. And it may be worth it if you would be completely miserable at UIUC.</p>

<p>But most UIUC students are happy. The freshman retention rate is like 94% or something like that…quite high…which indicates satisfaction. When I went to college I had the same desire not to see bunches of people from my high school. But college is not the 13th grade. People quickly mature, and they will be in your situation as well. UIUC has what, 40,000 students? How many people from your high school will go there? Certainly not more than 400, so less than 1%. So you will occasionally see a few people from hs, but it will not affect your life.</p>

<p>In the end, you have to see how your choice will affect your financial future and ask yourself is it worth it. Given the differences between UIUC and Wisc are pretty minimal (both exceptional large public schools in the midwest), my personal view is that loans in excess of 20-30 k would not be worth it. Then again, as a parent, I tend to think more practical. The short of it is you have two great choices, and there is no wrong choice. Only you and your parents can make the right choice for you.</p>

<p>Parent of senior son who visited both UIUC and UW so chiming in with some additional thoughts. The advice you received about financial considerations and loans is very good advice. </p>

<p>In terms of the two schools, we were pleasantly surprised by UIUC, the quad is gorgeous, the Union is busy, the whole micro-urban community idea that the University talks about seems a good one. At 28k undergrads, you are not going to be bumping into classmates regularly, though you might pass a familiar face once in a while. Illinois academics, especially in engineering and sciences are superb, though the humanities are excellent as well. The dorm we saw on tour was the same as every other state school dorm we have seen, there is great music and entertainment coming through, and a lot going on. If you are thinking grad school or professional school, the finances of merit money at UIUC vs. OOS at UW just doesn’t seem compelling. A number of parents talk about “blooming where you are planted” – UIUC has terrific opportunities, similar to UW – undergrad research, mechanisms to shrink the school through residential learning communities etc. </p>

<p>Good luck, and congratulations on such excellent opportunities.</p>

<p>Do not worry about seeing HS classmates on any large campus. Do consider finances- it isn’t worth going into debt for UW. It sounds like UIUC is your best bet- great academics and a large U for many opportunities. Look forward to going to it and don’t have any regrets.</p>

<p>Thanks for your responses. Money is a factor for me. I don’t want to be in so much debt, but I also don’t want to regret my decision. I was almost definitely sure about going to Madison when I was admitted, but now I have no clue what to do because of the requirements. The requirements make me feel like I’m not good enough to go to the school. They make it seem like I need help when it’s obvious that I don’t if I’m graduating in the top 5% of a class of 1000 students. Money aside, would it be worth it to go to a school that has conditions for your admittance?</p>

<p>In the late 70’s it made sense to go to a top private college and major in something useful. I feel sorry for the kids today who must go into debt with no guaranty of getting a job when they graduate. When I graduated NYU I commuted and the cost was in the $4,500 range per year, I ended up owing 10K and my starting salary was in the in middle 20K’s. I was told that I didn’t require an advanced degree, but my company paid for it so I took advantage of the free opportunity. My children are going to owe in the range of 100K for graduate school. I am very lucky that I can afford to pay for my children’s college, I know some parents that have gone in debt for over 100K because their child wanted to go to a particular private school. I heard a survey on Bloomberg news that parents over 60 owe an accumulated debt over $38 billion. The parents are dumber then their children!!!</p>

<p>Money aside, if you really love Madison, don’t let the CAE requirements stop you. Although I get your point and in fact made your point in a prior post, the purpose of the program is to help. But if it makes you feel uncomfortable, that is a factor in how much you may enjoy Madison. I completely understand how you feel, in the end, only you can evaluate how the program will impact you. But there is a positive that if you struggle…not because you are not capable, but because many intelligent people can struggle freshman year for a variety of reasons, you will have resources there, so that is a plus.</p>

<p>Finances trump other reasons for choosing a college, especially when they are of similar caliber. Not worth the debt to go OOS. You will also be spending time with the CAE requirements- could be good for study habits or a waste of time.</p>