Vegan food/dining options at Miami

I would love any input about the options for vegans to eat on the meal plan at U Miami. I think on our tour we were told that there are vegetarian options at the dining halls every day but I don’t know if they have vegan options too. Also, what other on campus places offer vegan food, and how is the vegan/vegetarian food in general? Appreciate any input.

D1 is not a vegan, however, I’ve read posts from a lot of parents that their vegan kids struggle with the meal plan. The meal plan is mandatory for freshmen unless they live off campus with family. There are vegetarian options. In my opinion, I think vegans will struggle with meal plans just about everywhere. Cafeteria food becomes dull after awhile and you probably won’t have the quality and variety you are used to having at home. You can meet with dining services to learn more. Lots of kids end up getting food from Whole Foods or having vegan meals delivered.

You can read more about options on the _ dining services website: https://new.dineoncampus.com/miami/eating-vegan–vegetarian-in-resident-dining

wondering the same thing as you, @Mom2NND

@sdteak thank you for the link, I think you are correct, that vegan options at any school on the meal plan will be monotonous and vegans will struggle finding variety. Thank you for the info.

-Choices Cafe (in more than one location)
-Vegetarian by Hakin
-Vegan market at Grand avenue
-Veganaroma (not the best, but okay)
-Starbucks should have vegan sanwiches
-UM cafeteria (the one on the Frost campus is really good for vegetarian/vegans. Even has vegan cupcakes)
-Milam’s Market (many vegan things to buy there)
-Publix (grochery friendly)
-Eden in Eden
-The Spilllover
-Lo-cal
-Really, you could go into any place and get vegan/vegetarian friendly things. Absolutely

Good luck

@Allythegolfer did a pretty nice breakdown of some of the resources you have as a non-meat eater in Coral Gables. Having a lot of experience with UM dining (some of my friends go here, my parents are UM faculty), I have seen that UM has been getting better over the years about catering toward this growing demographic. However, like someone mentioned earlier, there are not too many schools where vegan dining is readily available, especially when one is constrained to a meal plan. I hear some students buy groceries themselves to meet their dietary needs and only use the meal plan for snacks. The dining staff at UM are generally pretty friendly, so I would recommend giving them a call!

We visited in February for D’s audition at Frost. She is vegan and we found the cafeteria in the dorm to be abundant with vegan options and food quality was excellent. Out of all of the schools she has visited, Miami wins hands down for food quality and the sheer number of vegan options. It was great.

Does anyone know if the freshman dorms have a communal kitchen? (The better to cook/eat healthy).

Nope.

Does anyone know what fruit and vegetable options they have at the dining halls? Concerned since my diet consists mainly on fruit and vegetables.

https://new.dineoncampus.com/miami/eating-vegan–vegetarian-in-resident-dining https://new.dineoncampus.com/miami/eating-vegan–vegetarian-in-retail-dining

@discardib They have alright options! If I attend I’ll probably have a mini fridge stocked with fruit, almond milk, and some So Delicious ice cream :))