Virginia Tech Change of Major

I was rejected for engineering, and got accepted to university studies. I’m thinking of applying for a major change. Would switching to a major like physics or statistics make it easier to transfer into engineering?

@ jjamba. There is a lot of good information in the thread below. I’m not sure it matters what major you are, but it does matter what classes you’re able to take.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/virginia-tech/1972973-transfer-from-univ-studies-to-college-of-engineering.html

@jjamba did you go to Hokie Focus? This issue was discussed at the University Studies break-out session. If you have questions regarding the possibility of getting into Engineering from any major I would recommend you speak with the Director of University Studies. Shoot him an email.

@xaviermom2017 I wasn’t able to attend either of the focus days. Could you tell me about what was discussed about transferring to engineering that day?

My understanding is that it is possible to earn a transfer into a restrictive major (engineering being one) BUT your gpa will have to amazing, your class choices in terms of electives will have to be spot on as well as your math class and obviously, a spot will have to open up. I feel as though if this is the route you are going to take then you should keep yourself in University Studies and work one on one with an advisor to formulate a plan and schedule that will keep you on track for the engineering program. Again, I think it would be very helpful for you to contact the director. He was very welcoming and will be able to shed a lot of light on this subject for you. Best of luck!