Virginia Tech Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

My S23 applied ED to Virginia Tech, but engineering where it’s a bit of stretch (4.1 GPA 1430 SAT). So we’ll see. He already has an acceptance from Michigan State, and expecting from ASU and VCU soon as well. But if he gets into Virginia Tech engineering then he’s going there happily.

1 Like

Anyone know if it will hurt my son’s application if he included the common app essay? Or is it best to not include it at all?

From what I’ve read it doesn’t matter. They won’t read it one way or the other.

2 Likes

I think he has a good chance. He may get deferred to EA but don’t too be discouraged. My DD22 applied ED and was deferred to EA and was then admitted. He has a decent GPA, decent rigor and is not applying to one of the super competitive majors. I honestly believe the answers to his prompts will make a big impact. If he nailed them, awesome! Fingers crossed!! I know how hard it is to wait for this decision!

1 Like

How does an applicant update their application with new information/honors? My son, applying Engineering, received 2 prestigious honors after the EA deadline. The application portal does not seem to have a way of sending new material to be added to the application for consideration. Does the applicant just send an email with attachments to the main admissions email?

1 Like

I would contact your local rep.

1 Like

How do we get the name of the local rep?

Google VT admissions staff- then scroll through and find your state under all the AO’s

Your school counselor should be able to help. Also if you use Naviance it should be there.

Thanks everyone for the advice! greatly appreciated!

How long did it take for VT to send application portal login once application was submitted? Submitted EA application 2 days ago. Thanks.

My son got the email with portal login info 2 days after he submitted his application. He got it mid afternoon ET.

2 Likes

Shortly after I sent this message the portal login showed up. LOL

2 Likes

But you really need to filter by your sons situation because the offer rates can be quite different based on in state/out of state, male or female, etc. good luck to your son!

Can someone tell us how quickly VT gets back to you with the acceptance decision? Is it rolling? Do they release acceptance letters in waves?

At the November open house, I asked and they said all the decisions are released at the same time. Early decision will all be released mid-December and Early action will be released in mid-February.

3 Likes

Any thoughts as to when decisions will be released? Surprised how quiet this thread is…

1 Like

December 15

I read that VTech’s decision’s usually comes out on Friday at 5 pm. ED might come out either on 9th or on 16th. If anyone hear any notification, please share here

3 Likes

Anyone betting that they release tomorrow?