Virginia Tech Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

No answers but we are similarly situated but oos. Had not heard decisions might be released this Friday.

1 Like

I just looked at some prior years and thought it could be this Friday…but I really do not know. All they say is early March…

1 Like

Suggest following VT Admissions on one of the social media platforms as they will usually announce a day or so before the decisions are going to post. Beyond that any date is just speculation.

3 Likes

Hi there. There are no quotas by geographic territories within states or by high schools and no penalties for being from densely populated areas. As many are aware, we use a holistic review process to evaluate applicants, which includes choice of major. As an example based on a territory you listed, Northern Virginia is heavily represented in each incoming class. As we look at our undergraduate population as a whole - over 20% of our total in-state undergraduates are from Fairfax County alone.

3 Likes

Is housing first-come, first served or do you just need to submit housing contract by June 1?
In other words, is there a benefit to submit housing contract as soon as possible?

The sooner, the better as it does go by order of when kids enroll and sign their housing agreements.

yikes…thank you

One work-around, and a good idea all around for helping with the college transition IMO - is to apply for a living learning community. If accepted to one, the student will already know what dorm they’ll be in and will be guaranteed a room there. On their assigned selection day, they’d just choose the actual room they’ll be living in.

I looked at the curriculum for several engineering tracks and for the first semester, the courses appear to be the same except for the electives. To enter aerospace engineering or computer science, the GPA requirement for the first semester is 3.0. The courses include chemistry, one-variable calculus, English, and engineering design. For those who have children attended VT Engineering, is attaining 3.0 difficult?
My son took calculus and did very well. Not sure if it is a good idea to transfer the credits. Any advice?

1 Like

I also looked at Purdue and it requires two semesters average GPA to be 3.2 or higher to enter the aerospace engineering program. Both programs have similar courses for the first two semesters.

Same situation here, and my advice to my son is going to be to take the Gen Ed AP credits to the bank to create schedule space later, and retake the core required STEM class APs at college. Best case, its all a repeat and “easy A” for the GPA requirments, worst case the material they cover is not the same, and this way he won’t miss anything as the classes all stack on eachother year over year.

Depending on the college most I’ve seen require that anyhow. Usually if the course is part of your program the score on the AP test will allow you to go up to the next level on the course offering but it doesn’t allow you to waive the actual requirement.

Yes, what I was indicating was that I’m not going to recommend to my son using AP score to move to the next level of a STEM class when starting off in college, but to take the class even if the material is a review, as one settles in. On the other hand, if its a GEN ED, apply the credit for sure. Just IMO on the question posed.

Got it - I misunderstood your original note. That said, I’m not sure most colleges will allow for that - or if they allow it they may not give credit for the class. One of the selling points of AP is that it’s a consistent program no matter where you are and if you score a 4/5 the college knows what you know and what you don’t know (not subject to the rigor of the HS curriculum). If they see a 5 on Calc AB I doubt the college is going to give college credit for “Intro to Calc”.

That sounds a great strategy. I am a little worried about if the calculus is easy, he might not learn to work hard the first semester.
My son received 5 for AB and BC. But for multivariable calculus, he just scored 71 on the George Mason test. If he transfers the AB and BC, he will have to take multiple variable the first semester and he may not be able to get a B

I don’t know specifically about VT, but in general I’ve heard Calculus 2 is a “weed out” course, and the advice I’ve read is if you only test out of Calc 1 to not start out with Calc 2, but go ahead and retake Calc 1. Not sure about starting right at Calc 3.

I think if my kid was really, really solid in calc 1 and 2, I’d suggest taking the credits and start with calc 3. The big risk is that college math moves much, much faster than high school math, and it can be intimidating/overwhelming for a kid who is also adjusting to living on their own, planning their own schedules and so on.

There are some really good books of supplemental calculus problems. They could go through those problems and if they get like 90% of them right, they’re probably ready to go on.

2 Likes

My personal experience with VT/Calculus is > 30 years old, but I skipped Calc 1 & 2 (Are they still 5 credit hours for Engineers?) and went straight to Diff Eq. (Is that Calc 3 now?) I got a 5 on the AP Calc BC exam and thought it was the easiest test ever. Diff Eq was definitely overwhelming for me. In HS, I had the best teacher who made it seem to easy. At VT? Oh my… it was much tougher. That being said, I never went to office hours or studied with anyone, and managed to get my A. And these were the days when maybe 5 out of 50 would get an A in a class. So I did fine. It just was not easy like HS!

That being said, I have not heard good things about taking Calculus through the Math Emporium at VT. I would skip 1 & 2 if I could. But, I would probably advise to take both, if you only place out of 1, just to get a feel for the Math Emporium.

1 Like

Anyone know if @VTAdmissionsOfficial mails anything to admitted students (physical letter, etc)?

2 Likes

Yes, offer packets are mailed within 1-2 weeks of the decision being released online. Early Action should start hitting mailboxes next week.

5 Likes

Engineers don’t take math at the Emporium.

1 Like