Virginia Tech Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

Getting a 3.0 isnt tough if a student is keeping up with their work & putting in the time. Note that all are admitted to general engineering with a fairly standard curriculum the first year, and they apply for a specific major at the end of the first year (assuming they take the necessary courses). A 3.0 guarantees admittance to the desired major in just about every discipline. BME is newer, and in the past has had a different process and a cap. Not sure what the story with that will be for next year. Compsci & Aero are the most popular. I have not heard about students with the 3.0 getting turned away because of space constraints, but those under 3.0 probably donā€™t have a chance of getting in one of those two, but could likely get into a less popular major. Note also that the 3.0 is a cum GPA so non-STEM classes figure into that as well.

As for AP credits with math, thatā€™s a very hotly contested topic on the VT parents page. My freshman daughter carefully considered her options, talked to a few students, and in the end, used her AP credit to place into multivariable (Calc 3). It kicked her butt, having to claw her way up to a C after bombing the first test (she actually understood the material OK but it didnā€™t translate to her doing well on the exam for a number of reasons I wonā€™t go into here). Sheā€™s in linear algebra this term an aced the first test.

Lots of kids take their math classes at community college either over the summer or even during the semester while they are enrolled at VT. Itā€™s kind of crazy.

I think she is still OK with how things went down. From what she understands, if she had started in Calc 1 or 2 it would have not been any guarantee that she would have necessarily done any better, and this way she is nearly through the math sequence. Only differential equations will be left after this term, and she may take that for transfer this summer. She made Aā€™s in all her other Fall courses and made Deanā€™s list despite that one C. This is a common refrain for students who were top of their class in high school. It was the first non-A grade my kid ever has gotten in a class.

VT is very generous with AP credit, such that the only Gen Ed that she didnā€™t place out of and isnā€™t part of her required engineering curriculum is an arts class that she did last term.

She absolutely loves being a Hokie. She likes her classes and professors. She is in the Hypatia LLC & itā€™s been a fantastic for her. She has met great friends there and is involved in several campus organizations. She turned down a T10 and Purdue (among others) for VT and has not regretted it for a second. She is living her best life up in Blacksburg, and I couldnā€™t be happier.

4 Likes

Do international students get them as well?!:smiley:

1 Like

Thank you, Suntala. This is very helpful! I am glad your daughter loves VT and have been doing super well. That is inspirational.
We will consider the math credits issue carefully. I think a C is respectful for multivariate calculus. It is one of the most difficult courses so having a C is actually a good achievement.

You must be a math genius! It is not easy to get a C for the high level math courses for many kids.
Now the math courses are 4-credits each, not 5 anymore.

1 Like

Are you sure? My niece, a junior ME, took calc 1&2 there, as did 2 engineers in my office - though they graduated 5-10 years ago.

If itā€™s correct, that would be great news. Everyone Iā€™ve heard talk about it did not say anything nice.

I am positive! Engineers take Math 1225/1226 for their Calc 1&2. Those arenā€™t offered at the Empo. I thought itā€™d been this way for a while so donā€™t know understand why your niece would have been at the Empo. They did start a new precalc class 2 years ago for those who donā€™t place into Calc 1, but I think thatā€™s also a normal in person class.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a kid at Georgia Tech and calculus there is a challenge as it is many places. He got a 5 on BC Calc and took the credit. Did not regret it. I agree that taking credit on AB Calc is a different question. AB Calc is one semester of college calculus over two high school semesters so it moves slow. For the kids that get a five in BC Calc, which is 2 college Calc classes over 2 high school semesters, they are used to the pace of college math.

2 Likes

Just be aware that if your student is OOS and wants to take a summer class, it has to be at a VT-approved institution (thereā€™s a list). We are in NC and there was only one community college with the course my daughter wanted to take, that was on the VT-approved list. Luckily it was an online course, as the college was 5 hours away from us. If you take a summer course at a VA community college, youā€™re paying out of state rates.

If youā€™re OOS especially, I would check the approved college list before assuming your student can just take something over the summer at a place other than VT. They also need to get department head or advisor approval before taking the course somewhere else (thereā€™s a form).

@juanmorehokie just announced RD will be out at 5pm today!!

2 Likes

Son just Admitted RD!! Great news he didnā€™t realize the RD was space available so was really worried.

Got admitted (Rejected) Florida PaCE exactly 7 days ago so woo Hoo. He read this letter really carefully after that experience!

In state Business major 75% for stats and test scores. Thought he would get in but this year anything can happen with so many good applicants. Good luck to everyone else. Not positive he will go but its near top of list!

6 Likes

Fantastic! I had heard that about RD also so glad they had space for your son. What a beautiful school :slight_smile:

Similar situation here, oos daughter accepted for psychology after let down from Fl last week(had gotten the early welcome email). We were worried because also heard RD ā€œspace available.ā€ Really excited to visit, I hear itā€™s beautiful.

3 Likes

My son was accepted with scholarship. Heā€™s really excited. Especially after getting waitlisted with a guaranteed acceptance for January 2024 from Tampa today.

6 Likes

It is spectacularly beautiful :slight_smile: I went to UVA and had no idea til I visited with my oldest in 2018. It is a great school for kids who have interest in the outdoors, although our tour guide said she had zero interest when she got there but was now a convert :slight_smile: Lots of hiking, biking, rock climbing, outdoor activity and active lifestyle pursuits around there and definitely part of the culture. Enjoy!

7 Likes

DS just accepted RD for Fish Conservation! Lots of aquarium and marine science experience. Very excited! Will need to visit soon!

5 Likes

Congrats!

1 Like

Does anyone know when financial aid information will be released? Still waiting.

Ours came with acceptance under financial aid. It was also in the acceptance packet sent.

Sorry but what does RD ā€œspace availableā€ mean?

Regular Decision