Virginia Tech Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

My DD got into Penn State, deferred ED at a Va Tech and now deferred EA at JMU. Kids from her school with much lower stats got in. I have no words to help her at this point. We are holding out hope for regular decision now. :weary:

2 Likes

@Jconnor3 We know a set of twins with the exact same GPA and similar class rigor but different majors. Both got deferred to EA at VT, but at JMU one got in EA while the other was deferred. Hard to know if it was the major or the gender or both. So many factors! And admissions season this year seems more competitive than ever with the skyrocketing early applications. I think the vast majority of kids apply early now unlike even 3 years ago when our daughter was applying. This year our son doesnā€™t know anyone who applied RD to schools! I think (and hope!) a lot of kids will get into schools after a deferral or waitlist once everything plays out. Hopefully as soon as kids decide where they want to go they quickly decline other offers of admission so those schools can move on and make offers to their RD or waitlisted kids.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a crap shoot! My DD has been riding the deferral trainā€¦3 in a row, but got accepted to JMU. Waiting on VA tech and a few others. Unfortunately, she is currently deferred from her 1st choice. It will all shake out, but the process is longer and more stressful then ever!

4 Likes

Do you think Tech rejected anyone during ED? I havenā€™t seen any on the discussion board. I am curious if they deferred everyone like Clemson did.

1 Like

My son said there were some rejected at his school. Iā€™m not sure how many or what stats they had.

We heard of a couple as well, I was just curious. My daughter is doing mental gymnastics to try to find some hope. Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone know when VT will be announcing their decisions for EA?

They just state late February. Nothing announced other than that.

2 Likes

Late February? That is really late

In a post awhile back someone said that EA decisions were released on Friday 2/18 last year.

1 Like

Their EA deadline was a month later (12/1) than many others thus they need the extra time. I havenā€™t heard how many they received, but Iā€™m assuming it was the 40k plus like most other schools.

1 Like

so late!!

thank you to everyone who responded! just found this site yesterday i am finding it so helpful!

2 Likes

Their RD deadline is slightly later than many too (1/15). Last year they got over 45K applications total and stats Iā€™ve seen from some other schools are a 10-40% increase in applications from last year. Thatā€™s a lot of ā€œpaperworkā€ to get through!

2 Likes

Does anyone have a sense of how much scholarship money VA Tech usually gives? In particular for out of state students?

1 Like

VT received more than 47K applications this year. The admission rate last year was 56%. If they admit the same number of students this year, the rate would be lower than 52%.
The average GPA for all applicants is 4.06

2 Likes

Not much at all. My daughter received a renewable non-resident scholars award of 3k/year (divided into $1,500 per semester). Itā€™s nice that she doesnā€™t have to meet any academic requirements in order to keep it, and we didnā€™t expect any award at all, so it was nice to get something. Getting a scholarship of any kind from VT also entitles you to a separate scholarship advisor. My daughter actually prefers her scholarship advisor over her major advisor.

They really donā€™t have to use merit scholarships to entice out of state applicants. They get plenty.

1 Like

Thank you for the information!

1 Like

@CSPSU2014 I saw that article too. Unbelievable how many applications they received! Wow! After hearing that, our son wishes more than ever that they would also look at senior grades because he kicked butt first semester and brought his GPA up even more. He wants to send an email to his admissions rep, but I told him I donā€™t know if thatā€™s wise since they specifically state they donā€™t consider senior grades not to mention they canā€™t have thousands of kids emailing!!! I fear that idea could backfire on him.

1 Like

It seems as though almost every school is experiencing record numbers of applications. Penn State is over 100K, UTenn had something like a 40% YoY increase, etc etc. This is more a function of kids applying to more schools than it is the population of senior this year being substantially larger than last year. The kids can still only select 1 school to actually go to so the colleges will need to accept a higher number of kids to get their class. The % accept will still likely decrease but so will the final yield %. There will obviously be outlier schools that contradict that.

2 Likes