Virginia Tech: ED Industrial Design

<p>My daughter is dead set to go to VTech for Industrial Design. As I understand the school gets about 100 applications for ID and accepts 20. </p>

<p>I've asked, but they said they don't have stats for how many ED they accept in the ID program. I'm wondering if they only accept 20 overall, if they just wait and accpet them during regular decision. Of if the only EDs they accept have to be off the charts.</p>

<p>So, wondering if you were accpeted as ED in Industrial Design. If so, would love to know if you had killer SAT and GPA. We're waiting on my daughter's SAT scores (she just took them). She has straight As, taking AP and hard courses. She's taking most of her classes joint with the community college this year, and as a result she will graduate in 3 years (really a junior this year, but on track to graduate).</p>

<p>Would love to hear from you if you were accpeted in Industrial Design and especially if you applied ED.</p>

<p>By the way, we visited from Seattle to Virginia Tech and it just solidified our hunch that Tech is the right place for her. She and I both fell in love with the program, the people, the campus and the area.</p>

<p>Thanks!!</p>

<p>Hi walmer, welcome to the VT board! I don’t have a child who went ED for ID, but did have one that went ED for Landscape Arch which is also part of the College of Architecture and Urban Studies. They are all tough admits, but your d has several things going for her. One, geography- I would think that there aren’t too many kids from the state of Washington who apply. Being OOS (and from the west coast at that) would be a plus in her favor. The second factor is her gender. Arch, LArch, and ID are top heavy with boys, so girls are in demand. (same goes for engineering at VT) </p>

<p>Provided she does well on her boards, I think she has a great chance. We were told by our son’s GC to go for ED at Tech if he knew he wanted to go there (it is binding) because over the years, a large percentage of kids from his hs were accepted ED vs. RD. </p>

<p>It is a hard school to get into, but offers a really great education in Industrial Design. Best of luck to you both!</p>

<p>Here’s a link to the VT statistics on admissions to the CAUS. For some reason, I don’t see industrial design listed in the breakdown, but this is the most comprehensive summary of admissions data for VT I’ve ever seen. I’m also afraid that it does not show any distinction between ED and regular decision:</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.ir.vt.edu/VT_Stats/IR%20Customers%202/Students/Admissions/Apps_Offers_Admits_2000-2009/CAUS_Admissions_Tables.xls[/url]”>http://www.ir.vt.edu/VT_Stats/IR%20Customers%202/Students/Admissions/Apps_Offers_Admits_2000-2009/CAUS_Admissions_Tables.xls&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Good Luck! VT is a great school. (By the way, the CAUS entering class this year (2010) is broken down by 50/50 Out-of-state vs. in-state.)</p>

<p>I know that VT has an awesome Industrial Design program and they have about 25 spaces in their freshman class. Most students have A averages with about 1250 or better on the SAT (using critical reading and Math scores). They don’t make it harder to get in Early Decision and don’t fill up all their spaces during ED so that students during regular decision can be evaluated.</p>

<p>these stats are very helpful. I’m just wondering what scale the Mean HS GPA’s are based upon…4 or 5 scale?</p>

<p>We just returned tonight from visiting son at VT, who is in engineering. We toured Lumenhaus, which was a joint venture of the School of Architecture + Design, College of Architecture and Urban Studies and the College of Engineering. Lumenhaus won the Solar Decathalon Europe in Madrid in June, an international competition. There are lots of great things going on at Virginia Tech. Good luck to your daughter . Hope she is successful in being admitted to a great school!</p>

<p>My D just got her SATs back. 1160. She’s really bright and incredibly motivated, but one of these kids that doesn’t test well (I didn’t either and did quite well at CMU in Math/CS). She has straight As, is graduating in 3 years of high school, has tons of service hours, has gone on a non-profit trip to Guatemala to build a school, in theatre, cross country.</p>

<p>Anyway, would love to know if you got into the ID program with an SAT lower than the 1250 published average. Did you apply ED and get in?</p>

<p>THanks!</p>

<p>Hello collective brain. I haven’t posted in awhile because my son got into a great school 3 years ago, but now it is my d’s turn. She is looking at schools for industrial design and architecture and VT has both. She loves CMU’s industrial design program, and won the RPI medal at her school and she is looking at architecture there. We are New Yorkers and either of those schools would be great. We don’t know much about VT - can anyone tell us how VT’s programs stack up to those two? Consider that admission would not be a problem. Thanks!</p>

<p>VT has excellent architecture and industrial design programs. The precise rankings will differ depending upon whether you are looking at USNWR or other publications. Design Intelligence rankings for undergrad are listed below:</p>

<p>Industrial Design, Undergraduate
•1. Art Center College of Design
•1. University of Cincinnati
•3. Pratt Institute
•3. Rhode Island School of Design
•3. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
•6. Auburn University
•6. College for Creative Studies
•6. Savannah College of Art and Design
•9. Carnegie Mellon
•9. Syracuse University</p>

<p>Top 20 Architecture, Undergraduate
•1. Cornell University
•2. Southern California Institute of Architecture
•3. Rice University
•3. Syracuse University
•5. California Polytechnic State Univ., San Luis Obispo
•6. University of Texas at Austin
•7. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
•7. Rhode Island School of Design
•9. Iowa State University
•9. Auburn University
•11. Pratt Institute
•12. Carnegie Mellon University
•13. University of Notre Dame
•13. University of Oregon
•13. Boston Architectural College
•16. University of Southern California
•16. Cooper Union
•18. Pennsylvania State University
•19. University of Arkansas
•19. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute</p>

<p>Coming from a long line of UVA grads, wrestling with the fact that DS is a Hokie, I am VERY disappointed to see VTs arch and design programs score so well…because we have another college bound son on the horizon-and he wants to do architecture and design. Darn, darn, darn. Really don’t want to be starting a new trend! sigh…</p>