Volunteering at a Hospice vs Hospital

Hi! I am currently a sophomore in high school and I am interested in majoring in nursing. I currently volunteer at a local hospice and am trying to decide whether I should increase my hours or start volunteering at a hospital. Which is more beneficial when applying to college nursing programs? (I would like to go into neonatal nursing, not geriatrics)

You will hopefully learn more inside a hospital. However, sometimes it is hard for high school students to get volunteer positions in a hospital, particularly during summers. My daughter couldn’t get into the two big local hospitals and did her volunteer work in a smaller hospital. Her high school hospital volunteer position was working at the front desk and making deliveries inside the hospital, so she did not learn a great deal. I suggest applying for a hospital position next year, but stick with the hospice at least until you get a position you want in a hospital…

If you can regularly volunteer your time for a hospice, I’m sure you will make a great nurse.

I would try to get a volunteer position at your local hospital, but would you able to keep volunteering at the hospice. Do you get direct patient interaction at the hospice? When you are a senior, it would be helpful to get a recommendation[s] from a supervisor/director at the hospice/hospital describing what your duties are [especially if it is direct patient care such as answering call lights, passing out meal trays etc]. The hospice shows you have tremendous compassion and the ability to work in an environment with patients dealing with end of life issues. Colleges also like to see the long term committment. In the hospital, if you are able to volunteer there too, try to be assigned in a department where there is direct patient care. Sometimes, in the hospital, volunteers are placed in the gift shop, front information desk and not in patient care areas.

I would try to get a volunteer position at your local hospital, but would you able to keep volunteering at the hospice. Do you get direct patient interaction at the hospice? When you are a senior, it would be helpful to get a recommendation[s] from a supervisor/director at the hospice/hospital describing what your duties are [especially if it is direct patient care such as answering call lights, passing out meal trays etc]. The hospice shows you have tremendous compassion and the ability to work in an environment with patients dealing with end of life issues. Colleges also like to see the long term committment. In the hospital, if you are able to volunteer there too, try to be assigned in a department where there is direct patient care. Sometimes, in the hospital, volunteers are placed in the gift shop, front information desk and not in patient care areas.

I can’t get rid of these lines in the above posts - don’t know where they came from or how to get rid of them - only wanted to put in 1 post - tried to erase the other 2 but they kept coming back - CC is going haywire on me …lol!! How did this happen?!?