VT for possible med school applicant

<p>My son is a HS junior now. How would Tech be as a choice for undergrad for possible med school applicant. Not sure what undergrad major/possibly engineering? We are in NY.</p>

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I’m actually currently a Pre-Medical student at Virginia Tech. When I first came to VT, I was an engineering major. My first semester wasn’t too terrible, but my second semester was. I got incredibly sick of doing countless math problems and pointless programming assignments that I switched into Biological Sciences. </p>

<p>As far as Pre-Medicine at VT goes, I really like the system they have set up. There are courses specifically designed for students planning to go onto professional school, such as Careers in Medicine (I’m enrolled in it this Fall) and Hospital Preceptorship. There is also the Pre-Med folder system. You personally open a folder with Pre-Health advising and that is where all of your various volunteering/shadowing/clinical experience is kept. There is also the yearly check-up sheet that is designed for you to maintain your academic progress as you take medical school prerequisites. </p>

<p>If you didn’t know this, Virginia Tech recently opened a medical school in Roanoke, VA. It is called Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine if you would like to visit their website. </p>

<p>Here are other medical schools in Virginia:

1. University of Virginia
  2. Virginia Commonwealth School of Medicine
  3. Eastern Virginia School of Medicine
  4. Edward via College of Osteopathic Medicine (Actually in Blacksburg)</p>

<p>I have heard that King College in Bristol, TN is planning to open a medical school in years to come that will also be located in Virginia.</p>

<p>That would give your son 6 options, that I know of, right in the state of Virginia. I’m planning on applying to all of them in 2-3 years.</p>

<p>If you don’t already know this, medical schools do NOT care what you major in. Any student who plans to attend medical school has to take the same courses: Biology, Chemistry, O-Chem, Physics, Math, and English. Some places require more, but those are the basics. Those above things are what are tested on the MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test.) Therefore that makes any major capable of getting into medical school. Most students think that a major in the sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) is a ticket to medical school. That is proven false. More humanities majors have been admitted to medical school than Biology majors in the past few years. I am a Biology major, but I also followed what medical schools tell you and that is to major in something that you like. That is what I advise for your son. The way I chose what majors I wanted to do was I went down the Virginia Tech majors list and copied the page onto my tablet. I researched each major and crossed them off if I didn’t find them interesting. After that, he should have only a few options to choose from. Makes it much easier. </p>

<p>If you have any further questions, feel free to send me a private message or just reply here. I’m happy to help.</p>

<p>Thank you so much for all the info. I have read a lot and have also read that the under grad major does not have to be science related. I think the most important thing, is that the school have a good med school advisement faculty. We live in NY, and have an older son at JMU. I am very impressed with the VA schools, which is why we are investigating other VA schools for this son.</p>

<p>I actually mentioned that in my above message. </p>

<p>“Most students think that a major in the sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) is a ticket to medical school. That is proven false. More humanities majors have been admitted to medical school than Biology majors in the past few years.”</p>

<p>VT has a pretty amazing medical school advising faculty. Anytime I e-mail someone on the medical school advising committee, I get a very detailed response and my questions are always answered to the best of their ability. Where I’m a Biology major, my adviser is actually on the committee so he can actually look over my application and tell me things I can improve to increase my chances. I don’t know if I mentioned it in my reply above, but the Director of Pre-Health Professions actually schedules meetings every week in the Fall and for most of the spring for all Pre-Health students. There is also an organization on campus called AMSA (American Medical Student Association.) There are member dues, but they aren’t that expensive and the National member dues are a one time thing. If you have any further questions, feel free to respond here or send me a private message.</p>

<p>Even though I’m a VT student and I’m supposedly supposed to dislike UVA, I will tell you this: If I could do my college admissions again, I probably would choose UVA over VT. I have friends that go to UVA for Pre-Med and it seems somewhat better…</p>

<p>I think he will apply to UVA, but OOS admission to UVA is very difficult.</p>